boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Chris for the explanation. As someone who has never built anything quite so large I’m interested in the logistics that go into it. Your magnificent builds demonstrate a system that very much works so no need to change whatsoever! It does raise another question though (and i might be jumping the gun here) but you must have a system for joining the 2 halves so that they’re water tight? You may have explained this in the Norfolk build so I hope I’m not retracing old ground.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris for the explanation. As someone who has never built anything quite so large I’m interested in the logistics that go into it. Your magnificent builds demonstrate a system that very much works so no need to change whatsoever! It does raise another question though (and i might be jumping the gun here) but you must have a system for joining the 2 halves so that they’re water tight? You may have explained this in the Norfolk build so I hope I’m not retracing old ground.

HI Paul im very pleased that you are intrested in the build an if you jump back in this build to the near the bottom of page 2 all will be revealed about how the model is made water tight as its the two bulkheads that pull togeather an its joins up the electric plugs. An the hull is pulled togeather by butterfly nuts onto the bolts that go through the brass tubes to stop wear an then tightened up an to release the hull to split it apart just undo the butterfly nuts an remove them an the whole front section slides apart. Hows that for exsplaination an now i'll include a a few of pics of NORFOLK in her carry cradles for you to see how easy it is to carry the model just got to hope it will work out on tiger as she is a lot bigger but please exscuse the piture quality as I had a new camera an could not find out how to turn off the white flash any way the 1st pic the stern section of NORFOLKIMG_4450.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An the bow section an the handles just pull apart an can be unsrewed an taken right off if wanted but I normally just part the handels open an the ship can be lifted out of the cradle an then fitted into her show stand IMG_4451.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An in case you are wondering Paul the carry handles are made up from old fold up easy chairs that have broken over time an ive already got some more chairs layin in my shed all ready to make some more up for tiger but they wont be needed for at least a couple of yrs yet but in this big modelin game you have to think ahead
chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Awesome!
You see, I think stuff like this is every bit as impressive as the build itself. And yes, thank you for the explanation.
I’m definitely onboard (forgive the pun) with this build :tongue-out2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Awesome!
You see, I think stuff like this is every bit as impressive as the build itself. And yes, thank you for the explanation.
I’m definitely onboard (forgive the pun) with this build :tongue-out2:
G/M Paul glad you like the build an are are onboard for the voyage bound to be some stormy waters ahead eg.(problems) but I love the challenges to try an work out have you done anymore on your panzhers ?
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nothing to report yet but I’m working on the rear hull today, and tomorrow I hope to finish the Zimmerit. I’ll post an update after this is complete. I think after that stage I should be looking at the transmission and motors (I think). Because of the mods I’m making I’m not following Tamiya’s build sequence. But because the detail work should be, by and large, finished (there is still more on the deck and turret) I can start looking at the bigger parts of the build. Hopefully testing the RC shouldn’t be too far away.
Paul

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nothing to report yet but I’m working on the rear hull today, and tomorrow I hope to finish the Zimmerit. I’ll post an update after this is complete. I think after that stage I should be looking at the transmission and motors (I think). Because of the mods I’m making I’m not following Tamiya’s build sequence. But because the detail work should be, by and large, finished (there is still more on the deck and turret) I can start looking at the bigger parts of the build. So (hopefully) testing the RC shouldn’t be too far away.
Paul
OH cor im lookin forward to seein the gearbox an motors layout an you testin out the R/C for me it will be very intrestin as it might give me some ideas for workin things on my tiger im an enggineerin spy now LOL
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI guys another small update
for the last two weeks or so ive been tryin to work out how an where the main bridge S/S will fit on the deck an as by all the writeing on the deck ive fineally managed to work out how its gonna fit IMG_4826.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An its now all cut out an the outer parts of the deck is all screwed down when im sure its all right fittin then the screws will be removed an the outer deck parts will be all glued down an the screw holes will be filled an sanded down ready for deck paintinIMG_4829.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Anyway now onto the rear deck cutouts for the batt bay deck lift out an them bloomin plans have struck again an this time its not just mm's out of true but 4 bloomin inches unbelveible. The other night I just sat lookin at the stern section an to me it just dint look right to the pics a gent on another forum sent me so I sorted through all 6 plan sheets for the top elevation an laid the stern section upside down on the plan an yes its bloomin miles out.Now you might ask what was out well this has mistake has been in since I started building the hull an its to do with the hull frames numbers to the high frames were one too many an it caused me to build the high frames on the hull sides to far down towards the hull joint aaaaahhhh but keepin calm I just had a look at the fault an thought right i'll try out my new Dremel with a diamond cutting disk an promptly drew out the prob an away with a cut both sides an on the top deck an now thankfully it looks right now an its just as well I noticed it as it would have a bit awkward to alter later in the build (phew im getting grey hair now an goin bald )lolIMG_4831.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
IN THE ABOVE PIC all the deck sections are cut out an they are from the hull joint no 1. batt bay deck cover AN then the no.2 hangar bay cover an then the no .3 filghtdeck cover an all the deck outers have been again like the front all screwed down an all the screws will be removed when im ready to glue an holes filled an sanded down an below pic shows all the deck fittins all lifted out so I can get to the motors an such for seviceing IMG_4833.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris
Nice, timely spot of the mistake. That could have been really costly later on.
I’m slightly taken aback with the progress you’ve made. Well done mate, she looks to be really taking shape now.
It’s a great build so far and I’m glad you’ve sorted the glitch.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Nice, timely spot of the mistake. That could have been really costly later on.
I’m slightly taken aback with the progress you’ve made. Well done mate, she looks to be really taking shape now.
It’s a great build so far and I’m glad you’ve sorted the glitch.
Cheers
Paul
YEA so am I Paul I would have been cursein if I hadn't spotted it any pic on your panzer ?
chris