boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This just gets more and more amazing with each update. You have incredible skills, knowledge and patience. Glad the turret movements are sorted.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
CLOSE UP shot of where the gears meet an they fit like a glove just as well i dint go for the small gearing but im trying to imatate the gearin on the real ships next up to build the gun turttets but fistly the big 6inch turret IMG_7448.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This just gets more and more amazing with each update. You have incredible skills, knowledge and patience. Glad the turret movements are sorted.
Jim
AN Thanks Jim well nearly sorted as had a thought tonight about that steel bolt thats holding it all together an realised that i wont be able to get the wires up to the micro servo that will be in the main gun turret so had a think an yes a brain wave hit me (dont have many of them often lol) but the thought was ok i need a bolt an nut with a hole up the centre to take the servo wire up an yes found up two rudder bolts with holes up where the rudder shaft normally goes so they will do great as the wires will go up to work the micro servo to elevate the guns hope to do this on both gun turrets so probs solved i hope so tommow i will take out the steel bolt an redrill the holes to take the plastic bolts yay this is a problem ive been thinkin on for months
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
More great work Chris
THANKS Mick mate but still a lot to do im afraid a ive got too get both turrets working togeather now that will be a feat as im hopeing to have them both working off one channell from the T/X but wheather there will be enough power to work 4 servos altogeather well i dont know if not then ive still one spare channell on the R/X to use but at least ive made a good start on these guns an ive ordered the gunfire sound unit an spk to go with it an it will also work the leds gunfire flashes hopefully but it goin to be fun to wire it all in but im hopein to have this unit working off my waterproff mylar spk an fit in non return diodes so that the power can only go one way an not damage the other unit the whoopper sounds system in the same circut
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just had another catch up. Things are progressing nicely.
Yes, those turrets are going to be the cause of many headaches for you, to get them self centering, elevating and turning on just the one channel? Glad that you know about these things - all I can think of would be some sort of cam with wiring to bring it back to the middle again (something like what they use for windscreen wipers to return them to the rest position)
HI again Gerry well it looks like you can see into the future when you posted this blog as been doin some more exsperimenting on the turret turning an yes it turns great so got that mastered BUT that micro servo that wired into the same channel to raise an lower the guns is causein some probs as when i turn the big gear that turns the main turret the micro servo on one way works fine an mimicks the big servo on how it works but turn it the other way an a prob arises dont know why

as at the first trys it went all ok but now im getting servo jump as yes it goes the same way as the big servo but then at the end of travel the micro servo jumps back to oppitsite way why its doin this i dont know

but i will have too go onto mayhem ship site an ask some questions in the black art section on electronics an see if anybody can tell me what happening with this servo an it not just this servo as ive treid several different ones an they all do the same thing but i think its something to do with that servo morph estender unit
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Gerry well it looks like you can see into the future when you posted this blog as been doin some more exsperimenting on the turret turning an yes it turns great so got that mastered BUT that micro servo that wired into the same channel to raise an lower the guns is causein some probs as when i turn the big gear that turns the main turret the micro servo on one way works fine an mimicks the big servo on how it works but turn it the other way an a prob arises dont know why

as at the first trys it went all ok but now im getting servo jump as yes it goes the same way as the big servo but then at the end of travel the micro servo jumps back to oppitsite way why its doin this i dont know

but i will have too go onto mayhem ship site an ask some questions in the black art section on electronics an see if anybody can tell me what happening with this servo an it not just this servo as ive treid several different ones an they all do the same thing but i think its something to do with that servo morph estender unit
chrisb
well hi guys well ive sorted that servo prob my self thank goodness after a bit of help from others on mayhem an both servos are now working in tandem how i wanted them too so can now press on on the gun turrets
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

As always quite simply brilliant exclamation mark!

I really am very glad that you managed to fix the gearing issue, as I can imagine that might have spoilt things with the finished ship.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent news. I know that one’s been niggling you for ages Chris so it must feel great to have nailed it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

As always quite simply brilliant exclamation mark!

I really am very glad that you managed to fix the gearing issue, as I can imagine that might have spoilt things with the finished ship.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
HI Andrew yes it would have done cant have a warship that cant turn its gun turrets can we lol
cheers for lookin in an have a nice day on sunday with all the rabble lol really nice guys them lot are
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HI Andrew yes it would have done cant have a warship that cant turn its gun turrets can we lol
cheers for lookin in an have a nice day on sunday with all the rabble lol really nice guys them lot are
chrisb
Thanks Chris. I'll try to keep them on check but if St Ives hits the news Sunday evening you'll know I'll have failed!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Excellent news. I know that one’s been niggling you for ages Chris so it must feel great to have nailed it.
AN HI Tim yes i feel over the moon as apart from this small servo prob but now its all fixed an yes a great feeling to know i can rest the ole grey matter on these gun turret gettin them to work but in the end it proved easyier than i imagined as up to a few wks ago i had only a few vague ideas on how this all will work but next probs will be fittin in the knockon switches that will work the gun fire an gun flash unit that ive ordered at thats gonna take some workin out as it quite complex but will see when i get said unit as i can really say this is the most complex model ive ever built but im havin fun on this as i love the wirein
ATB cheers for lookin in Tim
chrisb

First Name
David
HI All well I fineally made a start on the HMS TIGER C20 build usein a bit of moddellers licence as it was nice warm wheather as its bein built in the garage an its gonna be a long build I reckon as my USS NIMITZ CVN68 build was 7 yrs .So don't please exspect a quick build lol an at the moment im havin a bit of trouble sourcein material's as model shops keep closein down nr me .Anyway some

facts about the model length will be approx. 94" an beam 10" approx. as I had all 6 plan sheets blown up to 1/72 so there will be some differents like a couple of mm out here an there so I got to split the differecent when building an working features will hopefully be

rudder, an throttle control , workin stabileizer;s , nav lights, up to 4 working radar;s, turning gun turret's by r/c , bridge lights , anti collishion light , steamin lights, landin lights on flight deck, hanger lights , workin white flood light;s to illuminate flight deck , working seaking helo , an proberly ship wide white flood lighting for shows an cant think of nothin eles at the moment. Gawrd must be out of my mind anyway some pics of the real ship to start off with before build pics
chrisView attachment 371182