boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here can be seen the actual radar motor 's spindle on the black box affair sharft that the radar sharft must be fixed to it by collars fitted with an allen grub screw an im waitin on them an they are still a month away from getting hereIMG_5229.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
next a top view shot of why its so aweward to fit this radar shaft as the sharft must be fitted in a tube up in side the front hanger wall marked by an a CROSS an the tube must be dead upright both ways or it will make the radarmotor work very hard or even burn out hence this all comin to bits an at the bottom the radarmotor an gearbox IMG_5230.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an in this H-BAY there will be several different power voltages all from 12v ( just hope ive fitted enough wires for main feed in ) an the voltages are No.1 the radar motor gearbox will have a 12v feed into the gadget nr the motor an its a voltage reducer from 12v feed in to 5.3 volts out to feed the R MOTOR. No.2 6v needed to feed the servos to work Hdoors No.3 9v needed to work the H leds lights No.4 12V needed to work red anti collishion lights on the mast an the steamin white led light pointin rearwards an 12v needed to give power for the white lede's on the rear end of the hanger bay for the flightdeck lights cant think of anymore thank goodness but in havin fun doin this IMG_5231.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN here a shot of another of a voltage reducer from 12v to 9v to power the hangerbay lights an they work ok an its 36 leds 18 on both sides an here its just jury rigged to see if all 36 leds light up ok IMG_5235.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An the last pic for today is a shot of 3 half built seakings ( as I bought these off a car boot sale for 50p each ) to show it will be pretty crowded with them in the H-BAY so just as well im havin one sittin goin out on the flight deck an as its a big flightdeck I may have one out of the H-BAY sittin nr the hanger doors with it all in the folded up postion but will see how it goes on that (PHEW WILL BE GLAD WHEN I GET THIS ALL DONE A WORKIN ) but im havin fun IMG_5236.JPG

First Name
Gregg
Looking forward to watching this as we had a family friend who served on board the Tiger 61-67, sadly no longer with us.
However he did tell us some tales.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris

I continue to be amazed at your build and the complexities. Now I know nothing about such things but have you considered putting a gear type connection on the motor so that the drive shaft that goes up inside the wall could be detached from its connections at each end making it possible to remove and insert the drive shaft at will?

Like I said I know nothing of this dark art.

John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
You're doing a great job of this. The build itself is more than impressive but all those wires - I wouldn't know where to start.
Jim
HI Jim thanks for the complement an as for the wires at that moment I hav'nt got a clue either lol :rolling: :smiling2: but when I get wirein it all in circuit by circuit an then jump circuts the wires will then be brought into play to power all things in the H-BAY AN THANKS for lookin in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking forward to watching this as we had a family friend who served on board the Tiger 61-67, sadly no longer with us.
However he did tell us some tales.
HELLO Gregg nice to have you along on board an very sorry to hear your family friend has passed really sad that an he had plenty to talk about of his times on tiger did he ever mention the 278 search radar wheather it revolved or what ? as I have on another forum two people sayin different things about how it operated as I am goin to make it work but so far not much info on it an it would be nice if you could pm me a tale or two of what the gent said when he served on tiger an the rardar what is the 278 is on the back of the rear main mast about half way down Tiger-class.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

I continue to be amazed at your build and the complexities. Now I know nothing about such things but have you considered putting a gear type connection on the motor so that the drive shaft that goes up inside the wall could be detached from its connections at each end making it possible to remove and insert the drive shaft at will?

Like I said I know nothing of this dark art.

John
AN HI John nice to see you again on here an I know nothin of figure paintin or tank building so we are a good match lol:rolling::smiling: an many thanks for your idea on that radar sharft but im already doin something similar to what you have said but im just waiting for the bits to come as my idea is fitting on the radarmotor gearbox sharft a collet or collar fitted with a allen key grubscrew that will tighten up or can be lossened so the main R- SHARFT can be lifted up so the motorgearbox can be taken out for servicin or if the motor burns out as it does some time happen so we both on the same track cheers
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris

My god all those radar!
AN Hello Bob yes she has 4 radars on her an newmerous other gadget 's on her an I will be makin all four radars work as I have loads of different small gears small or crown gears an im really lookin forward to the challeng I normally have all the radars workin off on motor but with tiger it will need two mortors an gearboxes as there are two radars on the front foremast an two air search radars on the rear mainmast so a bit complex but im havin fun
cheers for droppin in Bob an hope you feel better
ATB STAY SAFE chris

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
AN Hello Bob yes she has 4 radars on her an newmerous other gadget 's on her an I will be makin all four radars work as I have loads of different small gears small or crown gears an im really lookin forward to the challeng I normally have all the radars workin off on motor but with tiger it will need two mortors an gearboxes as there are two radars on the front foremast an two air search radars on the rear mainmast so a bit complex but im havin fun
cheers for droppin in Bob an hope you feel better
ATB STAY SAFE chris
Bet you than me Lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, the fine work continues.
AN HI Scottie yes im still chuggin along building her an every little bit I fit is another bit nearer to the finish but its now startin to get complicaited so got to really think through what im building to make sure im still building her right as there is still a lot that can go wrong but got to think positive on this many thanks for lookin in
ATB STAY SAFE chris

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great up date Chris.

First Name
Gregg
HELLO Gregg nice to have you along on board an very sorry to hear your family friend has passed really sad that an he had plenty to talk about of his times on tiger did he ever mention the 278 search radar wheather it revolved or what ? as I have on another forum two people sayin different things about how it operated as I am goin to make it work but so far not much info on it an it would be nice if you could pm me a tale or two of what the gent said when he served on tiger an the rardar what is the 278 is on the back of the rear main mast about half way down View attachment 385977
Unfortunately no info with regards to that , sorry.
He was in charge of something to do with the weapons, but he never talked about it really.
He mostly talked of the different places they visited.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Unfortunately no info with regards to that , sorry.
He was in charge of something to do with the weapons, but he never talked about it really.
He mostly talked of the different places they visited.
OK cheers Gregg for your reply have sent you a pm
chris