boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

First Name
Tony
Hi Chris,
What a good guess - she is 22" long and is a delight to sail, very stable, plenty of power, easy to transport. Last sailed in 2015.
I also retained two other r/c models, a Southampton RTR tug and a scratch built 21" cabin cruiser. I would post photographs but I don't want to hijack your thread, this is about a build of HMS Tiger.
My Hitec set is an Optic 6 which came with a 40mhz module. As time moved on Hitec brought out a 2.4ghz module and I made the change to this. My son said I was making a mistake in changing, but I was swept away with the supposedly advantages of this 2.4ghz system and changing it was something I regretted. Unfortunately I gave away all the receivers and crystals, so no going back. On the positive side of the 2.4 system the Hitec Minima receivers are really superb.
Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,
What a good guess - she is 22" long and is a delight to sail, very stable, plenty of power, easy to transport. Last sailed in 2015.
I also retained two other r/c models, a Southampton RTR tug and a scratch built 21" cabin cruiser. I would post photographs but I don't want to hijack your thread, this is about a build of HMS Tiger.
My Hitec set is an Optic 6 which came with a 40mhz module. As time moved on Hitec brought out a 2.4ghz module and I made the change to this. My son said I was making a mistake in changing, but I was swept away with the supposedly advantages of this 2.4ghz system and changing it was something I regretted. Unfortunately I gave away all the receivers and crystals, so no going back. On the positive side of the 2.4 system the Hitec Minima receivers are really superb.
Tony

HI Tony thanks for your reply an dont worry about hijackin my tiger thread as at the moment im very busy with now doin all the detail on tigers S/S so i wont be posting any more pics for a while so you are quite welcome to post a couple of your boats pics on here as id like to see them as hopefully so would the other guys

an as im fitting more portholes an some very tiny handrails knobs an these have been little bar**ards to fit an ive have lost about a dozen to the carpet monster pingin out of the twezzers as they are so small its nr impossible to hold them an they should be predrilled to allow the brass rod handrail to push through them an even with my head magnifier on i cant see the bloomin holes an eye strain is comin on

so ive had to conscript the wife jen into helping me as yesterday she has better eyesight than me as she is nr a decade younger than me but she has threaded all nr a 100 of these little blighters an i was very pleased with her an she said she enjoyed doin it to help with the build an now studying the plans ive found there are about another 20 odd handrails to fit on other bits of the super struckture so maybe another 80 odd of these handrail knobs to fit so jen has said she will help me to fit them when im ready to do so OH BOY but im still enjoyin the build but with jens help i'll finish her
chris

D

Deleted member 4539

HI Tony thanks for your reply an dont worry about hijackin my tiger thread as at the moment im very busy with now doin all the detail on tigers S/S so i wont be posting any more pics for a while so you are quite welcome to post a couple of your boats pics on here as id like to see them as hopefully so would the other guys

an as im fitting more portholes an some very tiny handrails knobs an these have been little bar**ards to fit an ive have lost about a dozen to the carpet monster pingin out of the twezzers as they are so small its nr impossible to hold them an they should be predrilled to allow the brass rod handrail to push through them an even with my head magnifier on i cant see the bloomin holes an eye strain is comin on

so ive had to conscript the wife jen into helping me as yesterday she has better eyesight than me as she is nr a decade younger than me but she has threaded all nr a 100 of these little blighters an i was very pleased with her an she said she enjoyed doin it to help with the build an now studying the plans ive found there are about another 20 odd handrails to fit on other bits of the super struckture so maybe another 80 odd of these handrail knobs to fit so jen has said she will help me to fit them when im ready to do so OH BOY but im still enjoyin the build but with jens help i'll finish her
chris
Sounds mindnumbing Chris but it will certainly look great :smiling3:.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ralph yes it is but i wounld'nt mind doin them if only they were a bit bigger an i could see the hole but no joy an lookin under a really powerfull magnifier quite a few have no predrilled hole at all so yesterday while jen was threading the little buggers onto the brass rod

i had about 20 of them that i had to fit in my mini vice an try an drill out the hole an i managed about to drill out about 8 or so the rest went to the carpet monster as they are to small to see even with a bright light an yes the one 's we have fitted so far look really good but its fitting them thats the problem

as i have to hold them knobs on the rail while jen get the c/a into the hole an then i have to be quick to push the hand rail knob into the hole as i treid this on a few myself before i asked jen to help me an by the time i put in the glue into the hole an then picked up an postioned the knob on the brass rod the ca glue had gone off hard
so it was back to drilling out the hole an restarting again but all the hand rails will get fitted except on the stern section as there are loads on the back but im not goin to fit these because when the ship is sailing people with their boats have a tendancy to hit my hull as if they do it will be a job to repair with them on so with out them on it will be easyier to repair hope that makes sence
chris ps an we hope Ralph that you feel better in yourself

First Name
Tony
I must agree with Ralph that this level of detail sounds mindnumbing, but it will all be worthwhile in the end. I'm sure your good lady is also enjoying the detail work.
I had a look around and found some photographs of my other models but first I thought you might like to see the workings of the little Customs and Excise cutter 'Guardsman'. It came as a free plan in Model Boats magazine back in the early 1980s. I also found a photograph of the actual vessel, Enterprise which Vic Smeed based his design on. There are differences and modellers licence has been used in a few areas, the roof mounted navigation lights are mounted on the sides of the cabin and there are other minor changes - lets not loose sight, it's fun.
Anyway here is the inside of the model showing the Hitec Minima rx, top right, the Viper 10amp micro ESC can't be seen. The ESC is protected by a 5amp car blade type fuse in a waterproof holder. The motor is a MFA 385LN 5 pole. These high torque motors allow a larger propeller to be used than the diameter of a brushed motor's can. I did plan on replacing the fuse holder with a smaller one and a switch. The rudder linkage was a pain, it took three attempts to get right, the floating linkage shown was an early attempt, I finished up carving out a further chunk of balsa from the stern block. I've also attached an early photograph during the construction.

Thanks for allowing my models in your thread

Guardsman (63).JPGGuardsman (10).jpegGuardsman (24).JPG

First Name
Tony
Hi Chris,
I found some photographs of my remaining two r/c models, the first is the ready-to-run tug Southampton. For anyone wanting a boat to get on the water these are ideal. Priced at around £160. The only model making is tying the tyres on. Mine was an early (2009) version with 27mhz radio (and the large aerial). It was always a good model to take out. put in the lake and pass an hour with, even in the winter. Mine seemed to perform a magical trick, when sailing it seemed to attract pondweed around the propellers!
My last remaining r/c model is a balsa scratch built cabin cruiser 21" long to an older design 'Lorena'. Something of an Art-Deco type styling Only ever had a trial run. Motor is a basic MFA 380. To finish it needs further work on the electrics, rigging and the stand. Some other bits need tidying. It ran ok on the trial.

Thanks for showing an interest in my r/c models - now I won't hi-jack your thread, just watch (and hopefully comment) on your superb HMS Tiger build.

Tony
Southy 7.JPGLorena (36).JPGLorena (52e).jpgLorena (53e).jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony some lovely clean models there an they are well laid out an sail nice i must admit thats the advantage of a small model they are easy to carry an sail not like my tiger will be but as she is in two halfs an will be carried in a cradle with their handles it will be like carrying a big suit case like i do my norfolk
all the best
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well im goin to post a few pics of the work whats been done on tiger an fitstly a pic of them little hand rail knobs an they are about 3mm long an as jen an i found out the little blighters were not drilled out properly an i lost about 10 on the floor to the carpet monster but jen said its not on an went all over the carpet floor on her hands an knees an usein her finger tips found 8 of them as she wont give upIMG_5734.JPGv