boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Tiger really is beginning to look like a war ship now. The portholes look great and the electronics just seem to get more and more complicated. Think you’re going to need a 1/72 power station to run this thing :smiling5:.
Looking awesome.
Cheers Paul
HI Paul how you doin i suppose you been busy at your work as i hav'nt seen you for a while an i wondered what you was up to an yes tiger is comin on to look like what it should be a warship but a heck of a lot more to do on her but im now at the instresting stage of fitting on all the detail an soon the funnels an then maybe i'll start inside her an start fitting all the eletrics an :thinking: been on the look out for a small power station like you sugged lol:thumb2::astonished::upside::nerd: ps what's up on the panzer ?
all best chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An old-fashioned glass thermionic valve Chris. Part number was XFG1. What we had to use before transistors were easily available.
OH well Pete that exsplains that then an that must have been some time ago
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Late 1950s Chris. My father started the build, he died in 1957. I did my best to finish some of his projects.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Late 1950s Chris. My father started the build, he died in 1957. I did my best to finish some of his projects.
Pete
HI Pete very sorry to hear about your dad an well done you for carryin on
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Paul how you doin i suppose you been busy at your work as i hav'nt seen you for a while an i wondered what you was up to an yes tiger is comin on to look like what it should be a warship but a heck of a lot more to do on her but im now at the instresting stage of fitting on all the detail an soon the funnels an then maybe i'll start inside her an start fitting all the eletrics an :thinking: been on the look out for a small power station like you sugged lol:thumb2::astonished::upside::nerd: ps what's up on the panzer ?
all best chris
Glad to hear you're into the 'more interesting' stages of the Tiger build. To be honest I think it's all been of interest but I think I know what you mean. The fruits of your labours are now beginning to take shape and adding details such as the portholes give a nice 'polish' to the build. It's really looking great Chris and all the electronics you've packed into Tiger will really make this boat stand out when: the alarms sound, the helicopter rotors whir, the lights go on, the hanger door raises, the radar rotates... etc, etc!!!!
In answer to your question, the Panther is still ongoing but I'm taking a little break from it to as a lot of things have cropped up lately. I'll post the finished thing when it's done but I really don't know when that will be.
All the best
Paul

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony glad you like tigers bridge as it was bloomin difficult to build an really put me to the test of my modeling skills to make it so it all comes apart for servicein as there is a lot of weird angles on the bridge but im pleased at how its turned out
an yes i like to have a few W/T doors open as i want to fit some small corridors in the S/S an with lights an some figures standin inside the corridors.
An im now at the most instresting stage of fitting on the S/S all the detail such as pipes an handrails
an no not the final hull colour as this is still red under coat primer the top colour when i get to spray it will be matt light grey as all warships are painted an looking forward to seeing your bridge pics when you post them
ATB chris
Hi Chris more work on my Corona sea bridge tonight , starting on the stair case and will have to make up some jigs to hold up the roof of the bridge till the back windows are in place, b long going because the bridge be detailed .
Yeah your Tigers bridge is mind blowing indeed double deck.
Keep the pics flowing , take are Tony from down under

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Glad to hear you're into the 'more interesting' stages of the Tiger build. To be honest I think it's all been of interest but I think I know what you mean. The fruits of your labours are now beginning to take shape and adding details such as the portholes give a nice 'polish' to the build. It's really looking great Chris and all the electronics you've packed into Tiger will really make this boat stand out when: the alarms sound, the helicopter rotors whir, the lights go on, the hanger door raises, the radar rotates... etc, etc!!!!
In answer to your question, the Panther is still ongoing but I'm taking a little break from it to as a lot of things have cropped up lately. I'll post the finished thing when it's done but I really don't know when that will be.
All the best
Paul
yea Paul you are right on about the detail yhat is excacly how i feel
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris more work on my Corona sea bridge tonight , starting on the stair case and will have to make up some jigs to hold up the roof of the bridge till the back windows are in place, b long going because the bridge be detailed .
Yeah your Tigers bridge is mind blowing indeed double deck.
Keep the pics flowing , take are Tony from down under
lookin forward to seein your bridge Tony

First Name
Tony
Chris, I'm pleased you got the electrics sorted. Looking at your sketch, I couldn't figure out why you were putting two power supplies into the rx, one from the ESC and one from the UBEC but its all sorted ok now.
I also used to build r/c models and must agree with your comment about liking the the 40mhz r/c system, it was good, providing the motors were fitted with capacitors to prevent interference. The previous system 27mhz was a problem with interference when CB radios were about
Superb detailing with the model, following with interest

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, I'm pleased you got the electrics sorted. Looking at your sketch, I couldn't figure out why you were putting two power supplies into the rx, one from the ESC and one from the UBEC but its all sorted ok now.
I also used to build r/c models and must agree with your comment about liking the the 40mhz r/c system, it was good, providing the motors were fitted with capacitors to prevent interference. The previous system 27mhz was a problem with interference when CB radios were about
Superb detailing with the model, following with interest

HI Tony yea im pleased that ive got it sorted but that wireing diagram that ive done is wrong.
As i put it on here before i was sure as it all revolves around the ESC fitted with a BEC an F/S so how it should work now is the main battery feeds into the ESC with the BEC an F/S FITTED an the main wires go out an feeds the motors as on these wires there is no postive or negative
As when the motors are revesed then the wires polrarIty is revesed hope that makes sence an the THE small fly lead that comes from the ESC goes into channell 3 on the R/X as this will be the throttle channell an the small switch must be left in the on postion as this way the R/X gets its power FROM the fly lead to power all the servos an such from this flylead crazy set up to me but thats how its got to go
OH IVE GOT A HEADACKE lol an thanks for taking an intrest in the build
ATB chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You have a headache Chris ! how do you think the rest of us feel when reading such technical stuff. :smiling3::smiling3:.

First Name
Tony
I think r/c models were much easier before the use of 2.4ghz radio (and the binding issues), and the use of the ESC. The Bobs Board mechanical wiper controllers were far easier, just mount on top of a servo and give an occasional clean . Found this old photograph of one of mine in a fishing boat, now long gone.
I no longer build the radio models, too much hassle, not with the models, but the household politics. Arriving home late for Sunday dinner, going to club meetings etc. Finally decided to quit after taking a model for a trial run one evening, approached by a gang of 'likely lads' recently out of Preston Prison, humoured them as best as I could, fortunately two ladies walked past who they knew and distracted their attention - model loaded into the car at double speed. Never again, quite happy to build plastics.
I've still got one in the shed though, a scratch built Thames Custom and Excise launch, Guardsman.

Guardsman (104).JPG
B25 Fishcutter (12a).jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You have a headache Chris ! how do you think the rest of us feel when reading such technical stuff. :smiling3::smiling3:.
HI John:thinking::nerd: sorry for gettin this technical stuff but its the only way i know to exsplain whats goin on an i shoud think you all think im bonkers lol :smiling2: but in my opinion this BEC system is bonkers an ive now found that if i have two ESC
(eletronic speed controll )fitted in her with this
BEC ( battery elelinmination circut ) system then i have got to take out one of the main red power leads as you cant have two BEC 's workin togeather crazy isnt it
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John:thinking::nerd: sorry for gettin this technical stuff but its the only way i know to exsplain whats goin on an i shoud think you all think im bonkers lol :smiling2: but in my opinion this BEC system is bonkers an ive now found that if i have two ESC
(eletronic speed controll )fitted in her with this
BEC ( battery elelinmination circut ) system then i have got to take out one of the main red power leads as you cant have two BEC 's workin togeather crazy isnt it
chris

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I think r/c models were much easier before the use of 2.4ghz radio (and the binding issues), and the use of the ESC. The Bobs Board mechanical wiper controllers were far easier, just mount on top of a servo and give an occasional clean . Found this old photograph of one of mine in a fishing boat, now long gone.
I no longer build the radio models, too much hassle, not with the models, but the household politics. Arriving home late for Sunday dinner, going to club meetings etc. Finally decided to quit after taking a model for a trial run one evening, approached by a gang of 'likely lads' recently out of Preston Prison, humoured them as best as I could, fortunately two ladies walked past who they knew and distracted their attention - model loaded into the car at double speed. Never again, quite happy to build plastics.
I've still got one in the shed though, a scratch built Thames Custom and Excise launch, Guardsman.

View attachment 399732
View attachment 399730
AN HI again Tony i love your small boat an the eletronics with the bobsboard simple but effective an it works as yes this 2.4 gig an BEC +ESC +F/S IS COMPLEX but if i had my way i would have bought another 40 meg R/C but now 2.4 is all my model shop sells 40 meg is on the way out an them bobsboards are good as i used them in my NIMITZ to controll the aircraft lifts up an down an hangers doors to open an close much cheaper THAN ESC an on that ship i would have needed about ten ESC 's so the bobs board was the way to go AN IT ALL WORKED AN THANKS for showing us your boat looks a great little number :thumb2:
ATB chris ps i bet J/R wil love this blog lol :thinking:;):rolling::smiling2:with all the techno garble

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HAHAH AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHH even the bleedin computer gone bonkers an put my post on three times whats goin on aaaaaaarrrrrhhhhhhhh an it wont let me delete two of the posts aaaaaarrrhhhhhhhh oh dear sob lol
chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN yes Tony thats one of my main probs with this 2.4 gig is the binding of the T/X (tramitter ) an the R/X (receiver) for you John /r as if i went ahead an treid to use this R/C AN BLEW the R/X then i would have to buy another R/X an then begin this bloomin binding again an it can get complex as my R/C destructions may all be wrong aaaaarrrrrhhhhh but as i hav'nt powered it up yet SO the R/X should be bound to THE T/X STILL OK
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
but seriously i think everything is ok on the r/c front thank god for me an again for you John r an exsplaination
binding the R/C has to be done when you buy one of these 2.4 gig R/C as its done eletronicaly as if this is not done the R/C WONT WORK an my one was done by the model shop keeper as i asked him to do it an he said its done it may be simple to do but ive herd of some horror storeis of people tryin to do it as one of my boat freinds bought a 2.4 gig R/C 5 YRS AGO an he still cant get it to work
chris

First Name
Tony
Hi Chris,
I had one which wouldn't bind, it was a HITEC. HITEC make superb r/c equipment, but the firmware in the earlier transmitters and receivers is of an earlier version than the later models. I bought a HITEC HPP-22 which plugs into the laptop/pc and then into the r/x or t/x (internet needed). The firmware in all the equipment can then be updated to a modern version. After this all worked ok.
Thanks for the good feedback about my r/c models earlier
Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,
I had one which wouldn't bind, it was a HITEC. HITEC make superb r/c equipment, but the firmware in the earlier transmitters and receivers is of an earlier version than the later models. I bought a HITEC HPP-22 which plugs into the laptop/pc and then into the r/x or t/x (internet needed). The firmware in all the equipment can then be updated to a modern version. After this all worked ok.
Thanks for the good feedback about my r/c models earlier
Tony
YEA Tony ive had HITEC 6cha R/C but 40 MEG an it was a great set an i never had any probs for yrs until the unit was gettin old an then i had a range problem with it so in the bin with it then i bought a futarba 6cha skysport an still got it an it works ok even though its gettin old an this range problem may start with this one so hence buyin a new R/C but ending up with the 2.4 gig an not a 40meg i was hopein for but new technology waits for no one an thats ok an on your boat as she looks as though she sailed nice what was she about 2ft long ?
chris