boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I've often wondered if you could use the innards of an e-cigarette as a smoke generator?
Pete
HI Pete now thats an idea ive never thought of well done mate but i have never used these things as i dont smoke gave up in 1980 when fags hit a pound a packet lol
but it could be made to work i suppoce but ive never seen them close up an i dont know how they work an i suppose the e -cig is a bit pricey an the fluid that goes in them but a good idea all the same
ALL best
chris

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that looks great and works a real treat,very nice, ;)
sorry so late on this one,but when you said tiger i was thinking tank oh silly me ha,

so time back on all places to see this and not a big fan user of FB,just to fill in time there was a chap
would made miniature guns that could fire like 1mm or 2mm shells and so on,not real for this build but
woulld be nice to have the guns up and down and rotate,

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
HI Pete now thats an idea ive never thought of well done mate but i have never used these things as i dont smoke gave up in 1980 when fags hit a pound a packet lol
but it could be made to work i suppoce but ive never seen them close up an i dont know how they work an i suppose the e -cig is a bit pricey an the fluid that goes in them but a good idea all the same
ALL best
chris
Hi Chris, I'm not very familiar with them either, but a quick Google found some at only £4.99. I'd guess the profit is in the fluid, but I suspect you could use plain water. There can't be much in the actual e-cig, although I think you'd need a way of providing some suction.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
that looks great and works a real treat,very nice, ;)
sorry so late on this one,but when you said tiger i was thinking tank oh silly me ha,

so time back on all places to see this and not a big fan user of FB,just to fill in time there was a chap
would made miniature guns that could fire like 1mm or 2mm shells and so on,not real for this build but
woulld be nice to have the guns up and down and rotate,

HI Monica glad you like this smoke or steam unit thats goin in my HMS TIGER as it should set the model off when sailing in about 5yrs time lol an yes you looking in the tiger tank section its a easy mistake to make as they are both called tigers so think nothing of it

just remember my tiger is a ship lol an regards FB do you mean face book ? as im not a fan of this either an a guy made miniature guns that small wow would have loved to seen them an yes i will if possible make my tigers gun turrets rotate

as ive already bought the servo morphs's to make the gun turrets turn slowly as they would in real as in the real thing the gun turrets would wheigh many tons an the guns elevate but will see on that when i get that far as this is a very complex model an tryin to get it all built an workin is just gonna take time lots of it an thanks for looking in on the build
all best to you
chris

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I'm not very familiar with them either, but a quick Google found some at only £4.99. I'd guess the profit is in the fluid, but I suspect you could use plain water. There can't be much in the actual e-cig, although I think you'd need a way of providing some suction.
Pete
HI many thanks Pete as i see what you mean as this could go to be fitted in the rear funnel to make that smoke also but as you say got too find some small means of providing suction maybe a small fan in revese so it sucks instead of blowing cheers i'll keep this in mind an i will need to find up some info on how these
e-cigs work well done that man lol
chris

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris

You continue to amaze with your skills and rc know how. BTW I am a neophyte as far as RC is concerned but looking in to the subject I know there are lots of simple throw servos, but can you get a servo that is speed controlled and can therefore perform variable movements between its left and right limits?

John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

You continue to amaze with your skills and rc know how. BTW I am a neophyte as far as RC is concerned but looking in to the subject I know there are lots of simple throw servos, but can you get a servo that is speed controlled and can therefore perform variable movements between its left and right limits?

John
HI John nice to see you on here an you ask
but can you get a servo that is speed controlled and can therefore perform variable movements between its left and right limits? well John with regards to servo's they will all perform variable movements between its left and right limits but you need either a servo morph to controll the speed of the servo movement between its left an right mvement ok
OR the better idea an that is a knob servo controll on the R/C set an if you look at my new 14 CHANNELL 2.4 GIG R/C it has two they are the black knobs on the left an right side of the T/X just below all the crome step swithes at the top of the T/X an when its all connected up to move the servo in steps if you like so all i have to do is gently turn the knobs an the servo will move a bit at a time untill its gone through its full throw from left to right if you get my meaning hows that ok an a pic below of my new R/C C501004.jpgC501004.jpg

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Niiiiiiiiiiiice Smoke Chris...........just had a catch up on this and am very impressed with the amount of "steam" this unit creates.........I guess JR is disappointed there is not smoke but who ever heard of the Skipper sayin' "Full Smoke Ahead?? :tongue-out3: :tongue-out: ;)
Rick H.
HI Rick glad you like the steam unit an yes i would have liked to have had two units in this ship as two funnels but the cost is a lot an the gent let me have it at dicount price an he said if i bought two then he cut the cost again

but got to be senible on this as not only the cost of two units but also the power to power both units as they draw 12v each to the units then its powered up again by the eletronics to 24volts each an my idea of havin two 20 amp hr batts wont work

as i can have one in the front secticion but in the back im gonna have to come down to a 12amp hr batt due to the size of the battery as a 20 amp hr batt will be to big an lay on the stabilizers so they wont be able to work so its back to the idea of a 12 amp hr batt as this batt will power all the lights an radar motors an R/X an servos so two steam units will haul down the batt fairly quilckly so it better i think to have just one steam unit an go easy on that smaller batt best i can exsplain it

AN :thinking: yes poor ole J/R got all excited at the thought of smoke an with smoke there must be fire only for him to find out its steam unit HAHA LOL:rolling: :smiling::smiling:;)
AN he called me a spoil sport as there is no FIRE HAHA LOL :rolling:;):smiling:
SO ITS FULL STEAM ALL AHEAD FLANK SPEED says the skipper lol never mind J/R there will be other times for smoke an fire LOL
Chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Chris, just sitting here smiling at your post.:smiling2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well the postie dropped off yesterday some bits that ive been waiting for as i could not carry on the build untill these come an firstly the funnel tube that will carry the steam OR :thinking: ( smoke to make J/R HAPPY LOL:rolling::upside::smiling: ) an now ive got to work out how to fit this so it connects to the smoke SORRY steam unit but it must be able to lift off the unit so i can lift the main batt in an out an then fit back on again an still work so a lot of thought required here IMG_5838.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN next the fans that will be reqiured as one of these will be needed to suck air into a down take to the steam unit to give it some air to push out the steam out of the funnel as this SUPER STRUCTURE is a tight fit to the hull an big an i may have to fit in the top bridge S/S a ventilation grill both sides to get this all to work as i have just fitted on plastic grill to give that look but that may have to go for the real vent grill as this was not apperent at the time of fitting IMG_5836.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN the reason i bought 4 fans is that in the rear section two fans will be fitted into the S/S just behind the rear funnel as on the real ship it has two ventilation fans fitted in to suck in air to force the air down into the hull as again the S/S is a tight fit to cool the engines or motors but this will be seen an understood when built an right under the hangar bay there will be another bigger fan that will take over the cooling job from the smaller fans top side hope this makes sence an a couple of pics of the bigger fan an this is a 6v job to give plenty of air circulation IMG_5829.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN this morn postie bought this an thats 50ft of plastic square 1mm x 1mm strips to glue on to that big P/E radar edges so it will build easy hopefully an it will also have other uses so now i have a big box full of stuff that has got to be fitted on this ship i think i'll have a long white berd by the time i finish this build lol IMG_5840.JPG
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
all very interesting bits hear will wait and see the build,to understand it all, ;)
HI Monica yea this some interesting bits as ive got so much to fit in this ship i only hope it will float lol but no doubt tryin to fit this all in will give me some interesting problems lol
thanks for lookin in monica
all best chris