boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice explanation explanation Tim, always wondered what they were and for .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris. As I promised, here are some shots of my 5 sided broaches....

View attachment 407282

These are the ones I have, from really small (0.4 ish) to larger. As you can see, they are nothing like files. You can hold them in a pin Chuck, or between your fingers.

View attachment 407283
Here is a (hopefully) clearer shot of the biggest one. It shows that they are tapered with five equal flat sides. There are no teeth, the edges do the cutting. This enables you to gently increase the size of a hole, and the odd number of sides means it won’t drift off centre. Broaches are particularly useful if you want to make a hole big enough to take a wire of unknown size. You just drill smaller than the wire and broach the hole out to the size you want. For sheet work it can save you a lot on drills because these are more robust and you don’t need to keep every single size in stock. These are obviously no good for blind or deep holes though.

I find them an invaluable tool to have when dealing with etch, especially when building something with a lot of holes that need opening up. Well designed etch should always have undersized holes, because you can always open the holes to size, but if the sheet is over etched you can’t put anything back.....

Hope this helps
Nice explanation explanation Tim, always wondered what they were and for .
YEA Tim i see now what you mean all it does is boar the holes out bigger but my stanchion holes are about half a mm do they come that small at the tip ? cheers for the info an like John i never seen them before but to me they seem like a bradall
chris

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Chris. I suppose they are a little like a bradawl. They work the same way, but are more refined being five (not four) sided and with a less pronounced taper. This makes them much more controllable in use. They are a watchmakers tool I believe.
in answer to your question, yes, they do go down to 0.5. The smallest one I have ((the black handled one) will open up 0.3 mm holes.
For larger holes you can use a round needle file, but the secret is to rotate it anti-clockwise. If you rotate it clockwise it will grab and bind, Being round it may drift the hole though, so is best used where absolute accuracy is not required.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
MANY THANKS Tim for the info an pics but i think before i buy these broaches im goin to try useing my small hand drill on just one an see if they will drill out ok an as its hand powered there will be no surge of power to the hole in the stanchion to cause a wring to the stanchion cheers for your help
chris
IMG_5848.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL update time
an im puttin on the same pic of the ship so you can all see where an what ive built an what it did on the real ship an what ive built are all in the purple butfirst the ship Tiger-class.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NOW for the last month or so ive been building the medium range gunnery systems 3 plessy type 903 fire controll systems an i must admit they have been boreing to build as there are so many awkward angles on them its been a nightmare to build them all its been is measure an cut an the same again about 50 times over an they are still not finished as they will have to be sprayed matt light grey then i can fit the main dish on the units fronts but its been a drag never thought id get them to this stage but had to as they are on the ship so got to be built an here still building themIMG_5859.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Well they look very complicated indeed, but it's very nice work, will add a lot of detail to the decks :thumb2:
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well they look very complicated indeed, but it's very nice work, will add a lot of detail to the decks :thumb2:
Steven
OH Cheers Steven thats cheered me up a bit if you like them an yes now they are almost built hopefully they will set the deck s off with their complex struckures but these were so hard to build even with jens help an i nearly said s*d it for a while but i thought well they will still be there waiting to be built so it was a case of get stuck in an jen gave me encourgement to build them an hope you are well
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an the ones at the back are the purple ones again an they are the same type of fire controll systems an they are fitted onto the rear deck nr the rear funnel on each side of the ship but they have a different pick up head on them an they controll the seacat A/A missle system if im right on that IMG_5862.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here some of the other bits i been building as they cant be fitted yet but i thought id build them an get them out of the way an pack them away till they are needed oh i want to do something with eletrics aaarrrggghhh but thank good ness im now starting on the eletric coolin fans oh heaven lolIMG_5864.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a really nice job. Those structures are built up of complex angles. It is just like the designer was given the brief to make them as hard for a modeller to replicate as possible.....
Going to look epic on the water.....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Very nice Chris

Usual high standards sir!!
VERY NICE of you to say so Bob thanks but boy am i glad to see the back of them as all they need now are railing fitted an their sensor dish fitted an a ladder fitted an then they are done hurray an cheers for havin a look in an hope you are ok boyo
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That’s a really nice job. Those structures are built up of complex angles. It is just like the designer was given the brief to make them as hard for a modeller to replicate as possible.....
Going to look epic on the water.....
HI TIM nice to see you an:thinking: yes the designer was propberly given the brief to make them as hard for a modeller to replicate as possible..... an id like to have met them to give them a good kick where it would do the most good lol :rolling: :smiling::smiling::smiling:as ive got patience but mine nr ran out only jen kept sayin you can do it kept me goin on these as ive never seen such ugly little s*ds
an yes if it dont look good on the wet stuff i'll design an build a bloomin torpedo to sink it lol:rolling::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: an thank you for stoppin an havin a look
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
top veiw of the fans grill main cooling downtake at the bottom of the picture that ive now started to build oh its like ive started a new build to get off them little bu**ers above lolIMG_5865.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
They are outstanding mate, very nicely finished.
AN HI Scottie cheers glad you like them as i felt like jumpin on them lol but thank goodness they are out of the way for a yr or so an by then i'll look at them an think well it was all worth the effort of building them an proberly have a laugh at myself for getting down doin building these an thank you also for havin a look in an now im back to building something intresting with some eletrics lol
ATB chris