boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
One thing you could try is to put a spring inside the tube to support the walls as you try and bend them. like a plumbers spring. Or nicking the inside of the bend.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here in the last pic today a shot of this small gantry platform an this was a devil to build but hey it worked out ok an its only 1/4 of an inch depth an talk about fiddley an in case anyone is wondering where the wires are for the Anti /collishion lights they are goin down inside the funnell an at the moment this funnell is a dummy but if i have the room i may buy another smoke unit so both funnells smoke or steam but will see on that IMG_5952.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
One thing you could try is to put a spring inside the tube to support the walls as you try and bend them. like a plumbers spring. Or nicking the inside of the bend.
YES Scottie very good idea on that but this lot is all glued down now but i might try your idea on the front funnel pipes but the bends are so tight i would have loved to done these in brass tubein but i havnt got the bendin tools to do this

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure of the diameter of the pipes, but if you used a bendy straw, i
I'm guessing 6-7 mm? If you can get to a garden centre of flower shop, you can get soft bendy wire covered with a soft 'rubbery ' plastic. Might be something you could use...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Not sure of the diameter of the pipes, but if you used a bendy straw, i
I'm guessing 6-7 mm? If you can get to a garden centre of flower shop, you can get soft bendy wire covered with a soft 'rubbery ' plastic. Might be something you could use...
HI Ian cheers for that idea but ive now only got to fit the front funnel tube an they are very easy an short nothing like the rear ones as by rights the big tubes shoild be about 2mm bigger in diameiter but i think i looks a bit weird to me as its the black tubes standing out against the white funnell plasticard so i think it will all look ok when it in grey an it matches up in colour an looking at the plans these pipes wont be seen much as they will have the seacat missle lauches an the target directors in front of them so no worries
but cheers for havin a look in
an same to all you guys an gals
stay safe
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks fine to me Chris......I do see from the plan sheet beside the funnel that the tubes are larger in diameter, considering what you had to work with, it came out very well. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yep. Looks good to me mate. As Paul says, what aren’t you happy with? May be you’ve been too close to it and need a change Before coming back and finish8ng?
NO thats not the problem Tim its just the pipes should be 2mm bigger in diameter but they will now do as they wont hardly be seen
CHEERS for lookin
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looks fine to me Chris......I do see from the plan sheet beside the funnel that the tubes are larger in diameter, considering what you had to work with, it came out very well. Rick H.
OH Cheers for that Rick an the other guys sayin that has made me feel a little better as i like to try an get things right as near as possible but sometimes we have to take what we got hav'nt we anyway as i said in the other post they may not be seen much as a lot is still to go on the deck in front of them an thanks for your comment
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris. Nice updates you been at this for a long time keep chipping away at it
AN HI ALSO TO YOU TO Lee yea its been a long build so far an not even half way yet so for now im leaveing the rear funnell even though its still got to have all the ladders on it but they will go on after it been sprayed grey so next up is the really hard front funnel as this one will be steamin an will need to have the flexi tube fitted to it an then down to the smoke or steam unit an this is goin to be hard a i cant see in the S/S TO line it all up so thinking cap on for the next wk or so tryin out different ideas
ATB an hope you feel better Lee
chris