boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had read through , my you've been busy Chris.
I've tried bending plastic pipe using various methods, from hot ( near boiling ) water, hot sand as seen on UTube and sad to say that styrene tube refuses to play.
That's why I ended up using copper bends and those drinking straws as you have done .
That funnel is build on its own, you should be really pleased .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just had read through , my you've been busy Chris.
I've tried bending plastic pipe using various methods, from hot ( near boiling ) water, hot sand as seen on UTube and sad to say that styrene tube refuses to play.
That's why I ended up using copper bends and those drinking straws as you have done .
That funnel is build on its own, you should be really pleased .

HI John :thinking: well i should think youve nr wore up your like button on your pc on this lol :rolling::smiling: an many thanks for all the likes thats keepin my mojo up like the other guys have said THANK YOU ALL an yes its a job to do the bends as they are so tight a bend an i treid several different ways to do the bends but the pipe always split or cracked so it was down to the benable drink straws as i said before i would love to have used brass tube but i dont have the tools to do it so its use what i have got an yes i think you an the guys are right it dont look to bad an im warmin to the idea of how ive built it an hopefully when it all sprayed grey i wont notice it

ATB
Chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Chris wow that funnel is pure awesome , is the fan blades behind the mesh panel, is there a second funnel to build keeping you busy, I have a couple of those doors on the bridge and crew accommodation block, will have a closer look at one of your other doors so I can copy, mine wont be open.

How are you going , take care Tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

Apologies got very behind on this.

Words genuinely fail me when I look at what you're doing.

It's looks spectacular now. Can only imagine what it will look like once finished.

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris wow that funnel is pure awesome , is the fan blades behind the mesh panel, is there a second funnel to build keeping you busy, I have a couple of those doors on the bridge and crew accommodation block, will have a closer look at one of your other doors so I can copy, mine wont be open.

How are you going , take care Tony
AN HI Tony glad you like the funnel an yes the fan blades are all fitted in behind the mesh an yes there is a second funnel as the one you have been lookin at is the big rear funnel as in real life i shoud think it stood 40 to 50 ft high as the navy added quite a few feet when they converted tiger from a all gun criuser to the very high hangar to fit in 4 seaking choppers an yes you ok to copy my W/T doors for your bridge no problem an can we see some more pics of what you are doin on your ro/ro ferry an did you manage to build the bulbus bow on the ships front ok ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

Apologies got very behind on this.

Words genuinely fail me when I look at what you're doing.

It's looks spectacular now. Can only imagine what it will look like once finished.

ATB.

Andrew
AN HI Andrew an no need to apolagise as you cant keep up on every thread on here as this is such an active forum as thats what i like about it all you guys talk daily an thats how it should be as other forums im on well im lucky if i get a answer once a month so this the best forum to be on i think anyway an very glad you like the build of tiger as im fairly pleased at how at how the build is goin an yes i think you are right it should look a nice model when finished an sailing an many thanks for your kind comments
cheers for lookin in
chris

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Chris, I've had a good few minuets catching up on this fantastic build. the work that you have put into this so far, is just outstanding.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Chris, I've had a good few minuets catching up on this fantastic build. the work that you have put into this so far, is just outstanding.
HI Ian well im really glad you are likeing the build an yea it has been a lot of work an still a heck of a lot to come but for me each bit that im building is like a seperate model so that when ive built one bit i think ok whats next up so its another seperate model build again so in realality its loads of seprate models which will all be assembeled together to make the one big ship model at the end so when i think about this ive built about 20 seperate models through the two yrs build time so far an im enjoyin it most times as fair enough some bits have been boering to build but that had to be as they are on the ship thanks for looking in
ATB chris

First Name
Carl
UPDATE TIME GUYS
View attachment 410966 i built it before i thought about havin a steam unit fitted in an this pic show that i just fitted streaked plasticard to represent the cooling vents as these are on the real ship here an they are at the lower right side corner
This is not a model, its the real thing...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
But now im fitting in the steam unit these vents will need to be cut out an real ventalation grill will be fitted an there will be TWO 40mm fans one will blow into a downtake to help the small fan fitted in the steam unit TO BLOW the steam up the pipe to the funnel as it will be a fairly long pipe about 7inches long with the funnel tube an the other fan will be fitted in to cool the radar motor as if in a model show it could be running for hrs so will get hot hence the cooling fan

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN now a shot of the underside of the radar motor in red an i have just enough space to fit the fans on either side an fit a downtake but this will come later

IMG_5953.JPG