boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That's a lot of man-hours gone into all those scratch parts Chris. Amazing work!

Nick
AN HI Nick yes there is i was amazed at how much ive built an as you say how many man hrs that have gone into them all but theres still a lot more to build an paint when ive eventualy built them but hopefully these will be all grey in a few days time in primer
ATB CHRIS

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Chris, it's always about paint......that is unless you paint with water! LOL ;) Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, it's always about paint......that is unless you paint with water! LOL ;) Rick H.
YOU B*gger you Rick you had me :thinking: :rolling::smiling3: there an could try pinting with water lol:flushed::nerd::confounded:
chris the water painter

• Haha
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
So Chris....you're telling me it's gonna take you two years to get around to painting this Tiger?? Methinks you misunderstood my reference to the "wet" stuff........Thought you were painting the superstructure cause the weather was turning warmer.....guess I'm a little confused here. ;) Rick H.
SORRY Rick i did misunderstood your reference to wet stuff bein painting here you said it an i dint pick up on it im begining to think poor Simon T was right about me that he thought i was delixic as i missed out words an miss read a post looks like he was right i'l have to double check what im reading an writeing in future
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI GUYS well SUCSESS at last ive been on this eletronics problem now nr 3 wks an this morn with a bit of help from a gent on mayhem ive fineally got all 4 motors running with out them cutting out an i ran them for about 15 mins at about half throttle an the new no'3 motor only got a bit warm like the others so as ive fitted some fans in in the rear funnell S/S it should now be ok but what i found causeing the trouble was a bad heavy duty switch as it had a lose connection inside the switch

which was not apparent at the time i checked it so another switch to fit an ive wired it up differnt to the destruckions an now ive had to remove the 2 red wires that fed the BECC so in realaitly ive done away with it an now the R/X is bein fed power from the main batt 12v but with a voltage reducer down to 6v an it all worked great from my new R/C an i can still cut power to the front
motors an run only on the rear ones if i want at the flick of a switch on my T/X

SO starting tomorrow i can start to wire it all in properly an then when its done then i can get on with the build HOORAY
Chris

Great news Chris, really pleased for you. That's a great weight of your mind. Hope you've not been grumpy with Jen :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Great news Chris, really pleased for you. That's a great weight of your mind. Hope you've not been grumpy with Jen :smiling3:
THANKS John mate an yes it is as i was getting a bit frustrated with problem after problem an yes i admit i was a bit short with jen at times but she knew i wasnt angry at her just the motors problem an jen kept sayin to me you will get it sorted but with her help an a gent on mayhem an you guys pullin for me that helped me get through an its all greatly apprecaited thanks all an im now really pleased that im now back on track but now im up to the painting side of the build yahoo thanks for all you guys lookin in im really thankfull to you all ATB
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You're going to need a lot of pots of Humbrol for that lot mate!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
When I saw all the superstructure and fittings laid out it made it clear how much skill and time has gone into this superb build.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You're going to need a lot of pots of Humbrol for that lot mate!
HI Ian yes there are quite a few bits an some quite big but there is still more to come an be built an sprayed but im usein the rattle cans so they will spray nr all the bits as ive so far have sprayed all but the two biggest bits an im doin that tonight after tiffen lol
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
When I saw all the superstructure and fittings laid out it made it clear how much skill and time has gone into this superb build.
AN HELLO Scottie yes i was shocked when i put them all out an there is still more got to be built as its quite a large model but it will be all worth it when she's sailing on the pond an im not only goin to take pics but im goin to video her makin knots as well but the main thing is im enjoyin the build now again
cheers for lookin in
ATB CHRIS

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Boy that's a lot of work Chris, that ship will look the dog's when it's finished.

Andy.
HI Andy yes IF I REMEMBER RIGHTLY SHE'S ALREADY BEEN AWARDED THE DOGS award an it is a lot of work as its taken me all today to spray all the bits up in grey primer now ive got to inspect every part for cracks or tiny gaps in the builds so i can use some filler to fill them as there are a few as when in white plasti card the gaps cant be seen but when ive sprayed them in grey primer they now show up so tomorrow a day of filling an sanding down smooth an then resprayin all the bits an when im happy with them all then they will all be sprayed in humbroll matt light gray no 64 phew boy will i be glad when ive got them all sprayed up an got to be very carefull spraying as i dont want paint runs an cheers Andy havin a look see glad you find it intresting
ATB CHRIS

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Great to this this wonderful build at the painting stage. Masking is a necessary evil - takes so much time but has to be done carefully. With such a lot to paint do you use aerosols?
Totally agree.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Great to this this wonderful build at the painting stage. Masking is a necessary evil - takes so much time but has to be done carefully. With such a lot to paint do you use aerosols?

Totally agree.
Jim

HI Jim yea maskin is a nessasary evil to do isnt it an yes does take a fair amount of time as with this build fitted with eletronics they dont go very well with paint all over them or come to that in them through a small hole or something an yes Jim i use the really big aerosols 500 ml for the primer

as all the bits have got to be sprayed twice in primer the first spray is to show any crack or holes that are too small to notice when its still in the plasti card state an then when most of them are filled over then its out to the shed to respray the item in a top coat of primer an then if it passes my expectations then all the items will be sprayed by 150 ml humbroll matt light grey no. 64 an im afraid there are goin to be some cracks that i cant fill

as these will be the parts that are just screwed down to be removeable so i can get inside to service the models two radar motors an all the shafts an gears or in the case of the big hangar bay the roof must come off in case of anything comin adrift in there as remember this will be in the car bumppin up an down on our very rough roads an there will be hopefully 3 x 1/72 seaking helo's in side the hangar but on this ship model there will be maybe up to 70% of the items that will all be able to be taken off in case of damage as this is a working model that will go in harms way on the pond hope that answers your questions Jim an cheers for takein an intrest in this model
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peeps well im now at the
painting stage of tiger S/S an its not very good a bit stripey the deck green is but i'll leave it an say its wheathering as the paint will go more uniform when its a few wks old an get some dust on it an i cant face givinen it all a second coat as it stinks to high heaven an gives me a head acke even with a mask an gogles on as the bits are pretty big an ive got to paint all the main deck yet so still loads to paint (urg) so all you exspert figer painters look away now lol
any way i started off with a small part of the s/s to see how i get on an that tamyia maskin tape is brilliant but there is still a lot of small touchin up to do on the green deck paint an grey with a small brush later
IMG_6421.JPG