Bowcat's Tamiya F-14D Tomcat 1/48

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning Guys. :smiling3:

Long time, no post. I have been working on it, honest.

I started the decals the weekend before last. They mostly went down very nicely, they are a bit thick but otherwise no major issues. The only exceptions to that were the four carbon fibre panels at the back of the jet housings. There were 2 parts per side encompassing the (mostly) circular shape, but they puckered along both edges and were a sod to get to lay flat. In the end they had Micro Sol, X20A and even TET on them and have mostly laid down, other than a few small wrinkles. If I ever build this again I will paint these panels.

The ordnance also took a while, the AIM-54's in particular had 24 seperate decals each!

She's now been varnished so I can finally get on with the weathering. :smiling3:

IMG_20191105_153121.jpgIMG_20191105_153236.jpgIMG_20191105_153403.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nicely done Bob. The second angled picture really shows the thickness of the decals...can't help it if Tammy keeps producing thick decals.

Cheers,
Richard

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys. :smiling3:

Richard, would definitely go for after market decals if I was building this again.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bob cor you have done an fantastic build I like very much an the sharks mouth is spot on by lookin very aggressive an the missles look very real too I know there was a lot of decal's but for me that's what makes the modelling enjoyable an your wheathering is out of this world :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: very well done so far
chris

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Now that’s how to do It! Wish I hadn’t messed mine up as yours looks really good Bob :thumb2:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Superb paintjob Bob, love that patchy base paint and neat decalwork too :thumb2: :thumb2: .

As for a load-out, have read somewhere that it was possible to launch a Cat with six Aim-54s but they had to use at least two because of the landing weight.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Neat build Bob. A credit to you.

Ron

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers gents. :smiling3:

I really need to get on with the weathering. I got sidetracked with another build (Ferrari F50).

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks amazing Bob, very nice paint work. Jakko's photo is great reference

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Joe. :smiling3:

Yes it is a good picture, that's exactly the load out shown in the instructions for the Fleet Interception load.

I've been doing some reading on AIM-54's, according to Wiki only 3 were actually ever fired in combat. 2 had motor failures, and the third missed!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
By the Americans, right? The Iranians probably fired rather more, and the Iraqis were apparently very wary of anything that appeared to be an F-14 on their long-range radars.

Ah, yes, also according to Wikipedia:
The AIM-54 is credited with 78 air-to-air kills, all scored by Iran

I’ve been wanting to build an F-14 in Iranian colours for some time now, though it’d be in 1:72 as 1:48 is just too big for the space I have :sad:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great Bob. The basic grey scheme could have been a bit boring, but you've livened it up really well.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat weathering Bob, that’s one busy bird looking at all that fouling:surprised:.