Challenger with enhanced armour.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Awesome work Mike. The detailing work is tremendous and the stowage bin in particular is simply stunning.
Cheers
Paul

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Big Greg,
Jim R,
Steve,
Scottie,
Papa695,
And Paul,
Many thanks for your comments, and to those that left likes as well Thank you.
Pleased you enjoyed my slight diversion.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
So got my lazy body back on the build for the Chally 2, started adding the kit parts required on the rear such as towing hooks etc. I then decided to add the brass rear light clusters from the Voyager set. So the plan is to build up the brass parts and then for the lights I would do as I did on the Land Rover and use some mettalic paper (Red and Orange) and then finish them off with some tinted Tamiya clear.
The parts are small and I mean small ....
rlights1.jpg
This will give you and idea of what I am working with. Also count the parts required. There are three parts per item 2 washers and one 'D' shape, with four per light cluster making a total of 16 and 8 respectivley. Plus we must not forget the 0.5 (half a mm) plastic rod...
rlights3.jpg
These are assembled on the rod as washer, 'D', then washer to give you this...
rlights4.jpg
Sorry for the bad pic, but this was the best of 10....
The end is cut off and sanded smooth with the washer on the left, you then have to leave about a 0.5mm (half a mm) on the right to simulate athe end of a bolt (asumption).
This part in the instructions is then fitted to the plate that runs around the outside edge of the light housing. But I found it easier to actually c/a the part into place first and then add the plate...
rlights2.jpg
As you can see above.
Now going back to our math lesson and looking at the first photo it will become clear that there are not in fact enough washers to complete both light clusters, I did find some 'spare' 'D' parts, but washers none.
So if in doubt, make your own.
I started with some thin copper wire coiled around a 0.5mm drill bit as you do if you make a spring. This was then removed and cut lengthways down the 'spring' so that you finished up with a series of seperate rings...
rlights5.jpg
These were then put into the jaws of my flat faced pliers and given a gentle squeeze to flatten them....
rlights6.jpg
And there you are flat washers, 0.5mm hole and the same size as the original.
Now for a lay down in a dark room to let the eyes return to their original position - more later.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What were you in a previous life ?
Quite stunning Mike, the stowage bin is a work of art in its self.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I managed to superglue my fingers together just by looking at the pictures! Fantastic work and detail.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I just luv mini PE!! Drives you nuts but once done its a joy to behold. Lovely work sir

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John R,
Jack L
Steve Jones,
Many thanks for your comments.
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
..... and in his spare time he knits fog and writes the Lords Prayer on a grain of rice :smiling2:
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Whilst knitting fog and writing the long version of War and Peace on a gnats w...y I thought I would add more brass, and yes, still working on the rear of the vehicle....
rear2.jpg
The lights are mounted, as are the tow bar brackets and the first aid box on top of the phone box.
rear1.jpg
The left hand stowage box is complete, the right hand one is still curing, I have some wiring conduit to add from the junction box just to the right of the left hand light cluster, and you can just make out the catch for the phone box which is shown below.
fstaidbox.jpg
Please enjoy,
Mike.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jaw-dropping stuff Mike. This is gonna be something special.
Cheers
P