Clyno Vickers Motorcycle Machine Gun Combination 1/32 Scale

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well that’s not for the faint-hearted!

This has really tested my mettle, my experience, my nerve and my patience. And I’m not even halfway through.

IMG_20230622_121155950.jpg

Stage 1 of the destructions is adding PE details to the main frame, which is moulded in one piece. My first impression was ‘wow that’s amazing’ , because I know a thing or two about mould making. But as I removed the flash -which was minimal, to be fair (and unavoidable with this type of mould), - I began to feel that maybe it was a bit ambitious to do it all in one like this. I got there in the end but there was some mould damage, which is evidenced by the presence of extra resin where it shouldn’t be, usually in crevices, but there was actually a big hole on the cylinder at the front (silencer?).I won’t bother filling it, it can be smothered with mud, but it’s a bit poor. There was also a bit of misalignment which is evident especially in the cylinders, and I think it’s really going to show up once I paint it. But life’s too short, and I’m planning a rider so his legs will hopefully hide (or at least distract from) most of it.

Then came the PE and all I can say is ‘Thank God for the internet’, because I would have really struggled about where to place anything without pics of the real thing-especially restored ones.

So this is the result of the first stage, and at least an hour, possibly more, of my time.

IMG_20230623_160210741.jpg

Stage two is the mudguards and front forks, and this is where I really started to shed follicles (you were so right Mike).

Again, thank God for the internet! There’s no real idea of where to actually locate things; I had to use the wheel as a guide for the rear mudguard, and there’s no locator for the spindle so it’s all eyeballed. The mudguard only touches the frame at the rear forks, so that’s just a drop of CA in four places (unsatisfactory to me)to hold it in place. I want the wheels separate for painting, so I have to hope for the best. The mudguards are not symmetrical but it’s not clear which way round they should fit.

The front forks were an absolute nightmare there ARE locating holes in the PE part but the pins on the steering assembly don’t fit and made the forks too wide for the slots in the front mudguard....After several attempts and many bendings of the forks I finally slimmed down the steering assembly and fitted a wheel in place(that did at least fit) to position the mudguard .

The attachment for the saddle was very unclear, especially as it was left off the assembly photographs. And the bloody kickstart pedal kept falling off, so I left it off until later. I had to add a little pivot for it as there was nothing to attach it to.

IMG_20230623_180303162.jpg

So, first day:- not impressed, really, but forewarned is forearmed, so on we go.

In other news, however, the revised 3D printed wheels were mostly successful.

I lost the 0.2mm spoke one completely but the 0.3mm spokes seemed to survive. Bizarrely it’s the one with less supports that looks better.

IMG_20230623_182440427.jpg

I tried another two variations on positioning, but it’s the upright on that works best so, although it’s not PERFECT it’s what I’m going to use. Hopefully I can insert them without breaking the spokes!

IMG_20230624_101403633.jpg

Thanks for following everyone- there won't be much more done today or tomorrow, Granddaughter's birthday party and other stuff to deal with-hopefully I will have regained my composure by Monday!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dang Neil, those wheels look fantastic and nicely detailed!!! Good job Sir!!! I just got a set from CSM and they are beautifully done too. Looks like a typical resin kit and so far, you've whipped it into shape. Enjoy the break and see you on Monday...

Prost
Allen

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I had an unexpected opportunity to play last night so I couldn't resist seeing how they looked....
IMG_20230624_200058817.jpg
I have to say I'm rather pleased with myself!
Ok, some of the spokes are bent and I daren't try and do anything about that ( I did rearrange them @Jakko , hope you approve ;) ), but the general appearance is better than the kit version.
Cheers
Neil

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It looks great Neil. Well done with those wheels. Certainly a kit for those with skill and patience. It does seem to have issues it shouldn't have.

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
It didn't take long for me to lose my composure- I take back what I said about the instructions…

They look impressive but they are don’t really tell you how to make the model, just what it’s supposed to look like-and even that is quite confusing.

I made a start on the construction of the sidecar

IMG_20230624_200730945.jpg

It took me a long time and several retracing of steps before I got there.
IMG_20230626_151240755.jpg

There’s no real clue as to where the various struts connect-I am fairly satisfied with where I have ended up but it’s in spite of, rather than thanks to the instructions!-Except that there IS advice to pin the frame to the chassis, but the one place they indicate seems wrong to me, so I made my own decision.

IMG_20230626_174246666.jpg

And here it all is together but not glued-I’m leaving it separate for painting

IMG_20230626_151207621.jpg

There is some room for extra detailing- brake and clutch cables etc.; I’ll see how I feel about that at the end. Period images show there needs to be a tarpaulin underneath the sidecar(presumably to protect the passenger from mud being thrown up at him), so I will definitely have a go at that.

Next up is the Vickers gun and tripod- I wonder what surprises that will throw at me?

I think I‘ll be ready to get back to the Fusiliers after this …

First Name
Andy
Looking good but also making me nervous as I have a 1/35 Thunder Models WW2 Indian motorcycle kit complete with tiny PE to build sometime soon.

Andy.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Going well Neil, though I bet it’s frustrating at times.
It's as if the person who designed it had never ever made a plastic kit before. If it was me I would want it to be difficult to make it wrongly, but maybe I expect too much. Maybe there wasn't the budget for engineering...

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looking good but also making me nervous as I have a 1/35 Thunder Models WW2 Indian motorcycle kit complete with tiny PE to build sometime soon.

Andy.
I'm sure you will be fine Andy. You at least know about motorbikes (unlike yours truly - although I do know what an Indian is).
To be honest the PE is the least of the problems with this one.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well the Vickers Gun threw me a slight curve-literally

IMG_20230627_122629210.jpg

I WAS thinking of putting it in hot water to straighten it out, but I was worried I might damage the fine detail of the trigger handles, so in the end I just sawed most of the way through the connection with the barrel and closed up the gap with CA. Forgot to photograph the after, sorry.
The tripod assembly took two attempts due to the poor instructions (sorry, broken record) but I was expecting it, so no big deal really.
So here are some shots of it pinned together and some other bits loose for painting.

IMG_20230627_155246105.jpgIMG_20230627_155348716.jpgIMG_20230627_155434163.jpgIMG_20230627_155455715.jpgIMG_20230627_155506697.jpg

So that’s it as far as the kit is concerned, but as I said there IS scope for some extra detail, and I'm not SO traumatised as to ignore it.

First up is the PE (elevation?)wheel on the gun itself. I’m sure it shouldn’t be quite so FLAT so I will 3D print one, no problem.

There’s a PE tray on the sidecar mudguard which photos show with a ‘Water Box’ in it, so I will make one of them.
IMG_20230627_155345874.jpg

There’s a PE ammo belt which leaves a lot to be desired, so I will have a look at that.

IMG_20230627_193450096.jpg

Photos also show the classic style brass hooter with the rubber bulb, and I’m sure I’ve got a digital model of one of them, so that’s a MUST.

There’s no visible means of attaching the spare wheel ,but whether I can be bothered with that remains to be seen. And there are the aforementioned cables so we'll see how they turn out.
I'm a bit disappointed that the bike is not actually straight but there's very little I can do about that at this stage without losing the will to live.

That's it for today ,thanks for watching
N
OOPS! just noticed the gun is UPSIDE DOWN!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dear Dr. Merryweather,

So sorry to hear that you are at the end of your rope with this build. I can only say, please don't kick the stool out from under your feet my friend. Let's take a closer look at the situation...

-The mo-cycle w/sidecar is over 100 years old...
-The destructions are also as old as the kit...
-The molds are probably over 100 years old too...
-The etch is probably older than all of the above...
-The weather has been extremely hot of late, causing short tempers on the Insel...
-You are obsessed with going back to work on the fuselages because we talked you into building this kit...

So what's a man to do Neil??????

Hell if I know!!!.......But I do have to say she is looking PDG, despite all of the above reasons. You'll master this build, finish it and have a good chuckle over all the probs you had with it later. It's your nature, my friend and your hobby too....But, there is no excuse for an upside down Vickers Neil...20 minutes on the 'naughty step' for ya!!!

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word that's a troublesome build Neil good that you've been able to wrangle it into shape .
Fully agreed with you on the rider hiding some parts.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks one and all for the great comments and encouragement. I know I've been qvetching but I have enjoyed the challenges. I will definitely have lower expectations if I ever build a resin kit again....
Now I've got the thing together I can see what's what and I can relax into the interesting stuff of bringing it a bit more to life.