Clyno Vickers Motorcycle Machine Gun Combination 1/32 Scale

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I think it’s ready for the wet stuff!

I noticed that the upright bar holding the water box over the sidecar mudguard was too high so I cut it down- but by too much (DOH!), so I had to make a new one from brass rod.
I repositioned the tripod and pinned it so I can keep the gun separate for painting. It didn’t really affect the angle of the gun so I just cut down the elevation screw.

IMG_20230704_193700473.jpg

I added a couple of fine wires to support the spare wheel. There should be some kind of clamp for it attached to the mudguard rack but life’s too short. There probably should be mudguard stays as well but they’ll be hidden by the spare wheel. Looking at the rack again I think I’ve set it too high, but it will have to stay.

IMG_20230704_193559836.jpg

So the final challenge was the groundsheet under the open front of the sidecar. I had 3 attempts at it, using first tissue paper and then clingfilm, but I reverted to tissue paper which I have impregnated with Superphatic glue(very thin PVA). I’m hoping it will come off for painting, but if it doesn’t I will have to make a version 4….

IMG_20230704_193320336.jpg
I think I have misinterpreted the references by adding the bundle behind the sidecar wheel- I think that is the groundsheet folded up and stowed, because you don’t see both in the same picture DOH! But it’s stuck now and I wanted the one in situ.

I’m keeping the sidecar separate for painting too, and handling it all has been a complete and utter BEATCH! I broke off both of the PE pedals and lost one to the carpet monster, so I have stuck the remaining one on the outside where it can be seen, and hopefully the lack of the inner one will be hidden.

The shovel is from the 1/35 ICM set of WWI British Infantry.

IMG_20230704_193520391.jpg

Lastly came the 3D printed ammo box and belt, which are stuck with PVA for now but will also be painted separately.

So all I have to do now is paint it.
.....and make a crew, but that will have to wait.

Thanks for watching
Neil

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is looking really good, despite not being the easiest to build (but which resin kit is?).

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is Bl00dy AMAZING WORK on what is a dogs pile of :poop: of a kit, if you fancy making another set of wheels and other 3D printed bits, i would very kindly exchange some 'green backs' for a set ;):smiling2::smiling2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Neil,
Got to the end of your build, and really enjoyed your build of a difficult model.
Wheels, fantastic result with the 3D printer.
Vickers, I took the cowards way out and went to Gaspatch for mine, ok they are for aircraft but are so much better detailed.
Joining the sidecar to the bike frame. You got it spot on, look at the front cover of the instruction manual, it shows it as clear as day.
Main frame/engine etc, I agree it could have been less busy.
Once again a big well done to you.
And as Steve above said, you could actually repay your materials by offering sets of wheels, horn, Vickers as an upgrade. Because I am sure there are lots of frustrated Clyno builders out there who have been stopped by the wheel problem - I for one.
Mike.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That is Bl00dy AMAZING WORK on what is a dogs pile of :poop: of a kit, if you fancy making another set of wheels and other 3D printed bits, i would very kindly exchange some 'green backs' for a set ;):smiling2::smiling2:
Wow thank you Steve that's a great compliment, and food for thought.....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
Got to the end of your build, and really enjoyed your build of a difficult model.
Wheels, fantastic result with the 3D printer.
Vickers, I took the cowards way out and went to Gaspatch for mine, ok they are for aircraft but are so much better detailed.
Joining the sidecar to the bike frame. You got it spot on, look at the front cover of the instruction manual, it shows it as clear as day.
Main frame/engine etc, I agree it could have been less busy.
Once again a big well done to you.
And as Steve above said, you could actually repay your materials by offering sets of wheels, horn, Vickers as an upgrade. Because I am sure there are lots of frustrated Clyno builders out there who have been stopped by the wheel problem - I for one.
Mike.
Blimey Mike that is praise indeed, coming from such a God of Scratchbuilding as yourself!
I'm rather gobsmacked, actually, Thank you

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well, I've done it!
And in spite of the aggro I quite enjoyed the experience, although I'm not sure I would do another one immediately, even if I didn't have a backlog building up!
Technically it's not a difficult kit, there isn't a huge number of tiny parts (although there are some) but it wasn't easy because it's not clear from the instructions exactly where anything is supposed to fit. I spent most of my time trying to figure out where something should go. Hopefully most of the pitfalls have already been pointed out, but I WOULD recommend leaving off the Ammo boxes (red stripy things) at the rear of the sidecar for painting separately. I assumed they were structural but they are not, and they are IMPOSSIBLE to paint in situ. I am glad I left all the bits separate that I did, too.
I was originally planning to try out chipping but I chickened out.
It was difficult to find out exactly what colour to use so I went with the nearest thing I already had to the photos I could find,(Russian green 3BO for those who care), and BS Dark Green for the gun.
So here it is, for better or worse- especially the photography....
IMG_2042.JPGIMG_2043.JPGIMG_2044.JPGIMG_2045.JPGIMG_2046.JPGIMG_2048.JPGIMG_2050.JPGIMG_2056.JPGIMG_2057.JPGIMG_2067.JPG

and a couple of shots with the rider
IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2032.JPGIMG_2034.JPGIMG_2036.JPG
At least with only three wheels there's no problem getting them all touching the ground!
There will be a crew eventually, but I really must get back to the nineteenth century after this.

Thanks everyone for watching and being interested- this will be the last from me for a week or so as I am off to LA.
Cheers
Neil

PS
I am REALLY pleased with the wheels!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Most excellent work Mr. Merryweather!!! All the probs, poor destructions and wonderful etch parts didn't stop you from achieving a fantastic result Neil!!! Love it!!! Have fun on the beach and see you when you get back Sir...

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Imagine firing that machine gun and the whole bike would shake , nearly enough for it to fall apart .
Great work Neil, now waiting for the final with the crew.
Enjoy your trip to the colonies.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Imagine firing that machine gun and the whole bike would shake , nearly enough for it to fall apart .
Great work Neil, now waiting for the final with the crew.
Enjoy your trip to the colonies.
Actually they didn't do that John, it was just a means of transportation.
Thanks, just of to bed ready for a 4.30 start....

Reactions: JR