Clyno Vickers Motorcycle Machine Gun Combination 1/32 Scale

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My word Doctor Soaper.
Looks like you are doing a superb job.Certainly more patience than i have to tackle this Neil.Will look amazing im sure when painted.
Top marks from Miss Hoggard.
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Now that I’ve gotten over myself it’s time to start adding some detail.

First up was the elevation wheel for the gun– it was easy to make a digital one and print it. It was also easier make an accurate digital model of the water box (rather than whittle one) which has to fit into the PE tray.

I said I didn’t like the PE ammo belt so I went looking on line for a Vickers one and guess what I found? Yes, a whole load of Vickers Gun models (admittedly at 1-35 scale but scaling up to 1-32 is simple), some of them free to download, so it would have been silly not to…

So now I have a 3D printed Vickers gun, ammo belt and ammo boxes.

I WOULD have been happy with the kit gun, but the printed one is so much sharper (and it's the right way up, although that wasn't the fault of the kit OR the instructions.... :tongue-out3: )

IMG_20230629_145413679.jpg

And then there’s the HOOTER. Yay! That came out really well.

IMG_20230629_145704157.jpg

I had also threatened to add some cables, which I did, using solder wire of various thicknesses. I have to say I’m not happy with them, they are too lumpy and bumpy. Bowden cables have a springiness to them, which makes the curves smoother than I have managed, so I’m going to try again with copper wire this time, and if that doesn't work I will try stretched sprue; yes -OLD SKOOL!

Anyway here’s where I am today

IMG_20230629_145533466.jpg
I don't really know what I'm doing as far as motorbike plumbing is concerned, and I don't care if it's not correct, I'm just following some photos and trying to get ,as @spanner570 would say 'Summat Like'
But I'm not a perfectionist....
I hope nobody's too offended.
Now to rip them off and start again (to paraphrase an eighties band-Orange Juice, I think)
Cheers
Neil

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent stuff Neil. All very neat. I know what you mean about the wire. You need something that is stiff enough to hold a smooth bend and yet is not so springy that you can't glue it in place. Your 3D printing shows the future whether done by the modeller themselves or bought in from a third party.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want cables that follow the natural shape, thin nylon fishing line will work — though you may need to drill holes to put the ends into.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
If you want cables that follow the natural shape, thin nylon fishing line will work — though you may need to drill holes to put the ends into.
Thanks Jakko, great idea. Shame I had already done it with copper wire before I saw your post :tired:.It does look better and I think your suggestion would be better still, but I don't think I can face doing it a third time.
Pics to follow later

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What can I say? You have far more patience than me in tackling this beast - and it's PDG to boot! Looking forward to the wet stuff!
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I had a catch up on this build, Neil and I liked the way you overcame all difficulties to get to that wonderful result. :thumb2:

About the hooter: what's the use of a hooter when you have a Vickers...! Did James Bond have a hooter on his Aston Martins? :tongue-out3:
'elf 'n' safety innit! (Might get a stoppage in the Vickers!)
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Neil, you did a good job on the resin bike...very unnerving that even got you fitting the vickers upside down. 3D one looks way better. I'd have proposed fishing line too had I come in earlier. I would say the art of gizmology if you don't know where things go.

Cheers,
Wabble

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As I know nothing about fishing line use , the first thing that comes to mind ,does it paint well ?
Good for you Neil , nice additional parts with the 3 D printing .
:thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks chaps. Here are the pics.

IMG_20230630_124310920.jpgIMG_20230630_125540094.jpg
I didn't like the angle of the gun and I think it was because I had fitted the tripod incorrectly to the sidecar. So I took it off and that's my next challenge (sadly there isn't one included in the digital model), along with the groundsheet for underneath the sidecar.
I've not gone the full @scottie3158 by adding nuts and bolts, but to my surprise I have added mudguard stays....
There's also a wheel stand fitted to the front wheel but I haven't figured out how to make that yet- I might just forget it.
thanks for watching
N

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Very impressive, the build up looks great. It is kind of cool looking at it like this unpainted as you can see all the different materials that have gone into it!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
About the hooter: what's the use of a hooter when you have a Vickers...! Did James Bond have a hooter on his Aston Martins? :tongue-out3:
For some reason, many Second World War tanks were equipped with a horn (usually an electric one, of course). I don’t think anyone knows quite why they needed one, given they had a powerful, and thus loud, engine as well as noisy tracks. If you can’t hear the tank itself coming, I kind of doubt you would hear the horn either …

Last edited: