Dave W's 1/24 Spitfire Vb

First Name
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice. What figure did you use for the dihedral? My best info is six degrees, but I'm not sure and will be approaching the same problem myself sometime!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice. What figure did you use for the dihedral? My best info is six degrees, but I'm not sure and will be approaching the same problem myself sometime!Cheers

Steve
I've used six degrees Steve.It looks right to me and will be a big improvement on no Dihedral at all!.

D

dubster72

In addition to creating the correct dihedral, does the spar make the upper wing-to-fuselage fit any better Dave?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
In addition to creating the correct dihedral, does the spar make the upper wing-to-fuselage fit any better Dave?
I've tried a dry fit and it does look a better fit Patrick.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
A double whammy benefit! :smiling3:
I bet the joins still need some filler though.This is an old Airfix kit after all.Cant believe Airfix are still trying to flog these for £60.Only worth about £20 in my opinion.

D

dubster72

\ said:
I bet the joins still need some filler though.This is an old Airfix kit after all.Cant believe Airfix are still trying to flog these for £60.Only worth about £20 in my opinion.
I reckon you're right there! That's why I've not entered this GB, it would frustrate me too much!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice solution to an old problem. One I might be borrowing in the future.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 99770

View attachment 99771

View attachment 99772

I've glued the upper wings on and am pleased to say my wing spar has fixed the dihedral problem.As a bonus,there's not much filling needed at the wing root.In fact,I had to sand a bit off the starboard upper wing inboard edge to get it to fit.Plenty more filling and sanding to do on the model though.Ive also glued the tailplanes on.The port side one needed the locating tab trimming as it wouldn't fit horizontally.Before fitting the upper wings the access panels for the cannons needed cutting out.Airfix have modified the moulds from the original mk1 kit.And have thoughtfully engraved the outline of the cannon bay panels on the inside of the wing halves to make this easier.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking the part now. Nice fix with the wing brace.

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It certainly is coming along well. Excellent fix Dave.