Dzhon's KV2 Trumpeter 1/35 SCALE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've built this on at least 3 other occasions , this time a winter scene of a abandoned tank in a frozen lake. Not going to start yet as have to finish the other T34/85 dio.

2022.jpg

Tickets available from normal sources.
Dzhon.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well I'll certainly be there on the start date.
Jim
Thanks Jim, going into the attic tomorrow to search for some very thick insulation . That's a clue :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Seat front and centre for this one. You had better be quick as spring is on its way and the ice might start to thaw;):cool::smiling5::thumb2: Happy modelling mate

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Can I reserve a seat if I promise to bring some of Junior's brownie.... once of course I've made another batch! ;)

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can I reserve a seat of I promise to bring some of Joel's brownie.... once of course I've made another batch! ;)
Yes Andrew that will keep the rabble calm.

Great choice John, and it looks like Trumpeter have done pretty well out of this group build :smiling2:
Yes they have Tim.

Seat front and centre for this one. You had better be quick as spring is on its way and the ice might start to thaw;):cool::smiling5::thumb2: Happy modelling mate

Seat reserved Steve. Ha its still very cold in the Motherland.:nerd:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm gonna squeeze into the cheap seats if I may,
I've moved you to the front Chris, just thrown a couple of extra seat in.

What a beast...... I'll park next to Rivet Jones and pass the popcorn please! :smiling: :smiling:
Hi Rick, your more than welcome buddy.

Nice John. As Steve said Spring will be here soon seated next to Rick nice coat Rick is that the one John had I’m starting to itch.
Lee fortunately the coat is no longer we set fire to it, so you are quite safe.:smiling3:.

Not designed by Ferrari I see lol what a brute. Count me in John

Heard that vats of 4BO are stuck in a shipping container!

No Bob, more like a bunch of people under stress to design something to smash bunkers or be shot.:sad:

Good news on the 4BO front though, due to cornering the market the stocks are high at Race Towers, so any stuck in the system will be ok for now.:thumb2::nerd:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
And what about the 55 gallon drum you sent me that's stuck in customs here in the Fatherland??? Can't wait to see this come together Dude 2. KV Trumpy kits do build up pretty good, except for the tracks though. PM later...You know me, late again..........

Prost
Dude 1 Pres.
RBB factory #69

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
And what about the 55 gallon drum you sent me that's stuck in customs here in the Fatherland??? Can't wait to see this come together Dude 2. KV Trumpy kits do build up pretty good, except for the tracks though. PM later...You know me, late again..........

Prost
Dude 1 Pres.
RBB factory #69
Greeting Dude1 , not my fault about being stuck in customs, you did insist it was declared as for medicinal purposes only ! Any mention of 4BO Paint would have been a no no and the goods destroyed by the Fatherland Authorities.

A classic example of function over form.
Indeed Ian, though it did have its moments.

It's quite a beast Comrade Dzohn, my usual seat near the fire extinguishers please.
Comrade Graeme, there will ne no need for that,:smiling3: infract make sure you are wearing warm clothing.

I'm going to sit at the back, think that it's big enough to see from here

:smiling2: Yes you'll be quite ok from there Gerry.

Greeting all , I've build this 3 previous times, both the earlier
1644412078428.png
of which only 20 were made
and now this
1644412114559.png
A total number of all KV2'S made was 203 between late 1939 till mid 1941

Due to its size and armored strength, it was nicknamed “Dreadnought” by its six man crews. The KV-2 first saw service in the Winter War as a prototype, as did many other vehicles. However, they were too late to test their might against the more fortified Finnish defenses, as they had already been overrun. Despite this, they still destroyed some remaining enemy bunkers and AT guns. Finnish AT guns were ill-prepared for the KV-2’s strong armor, and even reportedly stopped firing after three non-penetrations.
In the opening years of WWII, when the KV-2 operated in vast numbers, it was virtually invulnerable to direct fire from all but high velocity weapons at horrifically close-range. The best the enemy could hope to was force the KV-2’s crew to abandon the vehicle by disabling it, such as by hitting its tracks and wheels, but this did not always go to plan. A clear example of this was in June 1941, near Raseiniai. Roughly 20 KV tanks of the Soviet 3rd Mechanized Corps met the assault of the 6th Panzer Division, with approximately 100 vehicles. Another vehicle, probably a KV-2 tank, managed to hold off the German advance for a full day while being pummeled by a variety of antitank weapons, until finally the tank ran out of ammunition and was finally knocked out.
Having said this, the KV-2 paid a high price for its immense gun and vast armor. Its mobility between engagements and during battle was heavily restricted by many of the initial gear and transmission problems that the KV-1 faced. This situation was made even worse by the fact that the vehicle now weighed 53.8-57.9 tonnes depending on the model, as well as by using the unimproved 500 bhp V-2 diesel engine.
The road speed of a KV-2 was no more than 25 km/h (15.5 mph) and it only reached a mere 12 km/h (7.5 mph) off-road, making it a very slow moving vehicle. It was also prone to having trouble traversing the heavy turret if not on relatively flat ground. These problems all limited the flexibility of the KV-2 combat, but nevertheless, it was still a formidable opponent if dug into a strategic position. However, it lacked speed and mobility – two traits shown to be massively important in the opening years of the war.
The worst problem for the KV-2 was by far its unreliability. The gearbox would often break easily, and the immense recoil of the gun meant that the small turret ring could jam, or the engine or gearbox could suffer severe damage. The majority of KV-2 losses in 1941 were due to breakdowns or lack of fuel which forced them to be abandoned. The 41st Tank Division lost two thirds of its 33 KV-2s, but only five were as a result of enemy action – usually landmines, as there were few insufficient AT guns or enemy tanks capable of knocking out a KV-2, and as it was used as a breakthrough tank, the KV-2 would often be the first victim of mines.
Despite this, KV tanks came as a nasty shock to German invaders due to their resilience. They had no comparable tanks in strength, and few AT guns that could destroy them.

“They withstood the fire of every type of gun that the German tanks were armed with. But what a sight they were returning from combat. Their armor all pock-marked all over and sometimes even their barrels were pierced.”
Similarly, the experience of the 1st Panzer Division on 23rd June, 1941 in Lithuania proves just how resilient the KV-2 could be. Here is a record of the engagement:
“Our companies opened fire from 700 m (765 yd). We got closer and closer… Soon we were only about 50-100 m (55-110 yd) from each other. A fantastic engagement opened up – without any German progress. The Soviet tanks continued their advance and our armor-piercing projectiles simply bounced off. The Soviet tanks withstood point-blank fire from both our 50 mm (1.97 in) and 75 mm (2.95 in) guns. A KV-2 was hit more than 70 times and not a single round penetrated. A very few Soviet tanks were immobilized and eventually destroyed as we managed to shoot at their tracks, and then brought up artillery to hammer them at close range. It was then attacked at close range with satchel charges.”

Dimensions (L-w-h)7.31 x 3.49 x 3.93 m (23ft 11in x 11ft 5in x 12ft 1in)
Total weight, battle ready53.8 (early), 57.9 (late) tonnes
Crew5– later 6 (driver, commander, gunner, 2 loaders)
PropulsionV-2 diesel, 500 bhp
Speed (road/off-road)25/12 km/h (15.5/7.5 mph)
Range200 km (120 mi)
Armament152 mm (5.98 in) 1938/1940 L20 howitzer or 152 mm M-10T (later models)
2 x DT 7.62 mm (0.3 in) machine-guns (8000 rounds)
Armor75-110 mm (2.95 – 4.3 in)
Total production203

With thanks to Wikipedia and Tanks Encyclopedia.

2022_5.jpg
2022_2.jpg2022.jpg
Sprues marked up, It drives me mad looking for the sprues in the bench

2022_4.jpg

2022_3.jpg
Might use some of these, however there is much discussion on the width of the tracks/ fenders , I'm not into the purest guild of builders by a long shot, so most likely it will be built as it comes. The grills are worth fitting though.
As for the tracks I might be tempted to try the link and length once more, but normally they have defeated me, if it proves too hard I shall use the rubber band type as I have before and pull the sag down with cotton.:smiling3::nerd:

Off for lunch then going foe yet another eye test .
More later.

Dzhon.

Attachments

• 2022_8.jpg
    2022_8.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2022_7.jpg
    2022_7.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for all the background info John!

Much appreciated.

Andrew