"Ease up Old Timer, we need your help!" Foucarville, 7th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you all for your help and understanding.

Yes, matron I've had a good night's sleep and ready to proceed. That's not fair, I need the scalpel for my model making! No, I don't want a pretty nurse to snip my bits off for me!

On we go with some sense of normality.
Before I can go much further with the build I need to make me a mill wheel so I can determine what size, and where the buildings can go, so....

I've already made a mill wheel for a previous diorama I built on here. I always saved the paper templates from my 'Designs', so I'm good to go for a second one.

Plastic card and choose the wheel diameter required...
The Old Mill 026c.jpg

Outer rim cut out...
P1230920.JPG

Add spokes. I try not to use balsa, as the grain is too 'fluffy', so I use cocktail sticks for these.
The Old Mill 028.jpg

One side finished. This will be the outer rim. Because it will hardly be seen and one side will face the wall anyway, I'll make the inner one in plastic card throughout.
It looks a bit squished - That's the camera lens!
The Old Mill 030.jpg

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
You story telling gets better and better - more far fetched but better :tongue-out:
Good start on the wheel.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sorry I'm late for the show. I am all in as usual and looking forward to more as the story develops into what I am sure will be another fine diorama from that yarn spinning wonder Mr. 570 himself!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Glad you like the build and story. The latter will no doubt raise a few eyebrows from folks wondering "Why?"

I can't answer that, apart from it's fun concocting such nonsense. Rather like a finding a maggot in a beefburger, the choice is the readers. Leave the bit containing the maggot or eat the lot..... :hungry: :face-with-thermometer: Some analogy, eh!

Anyway, here is a small update.
Rain stopped gardening, so I've done a bit more to the wheel.

Both sides completed, strengthened and the axle fitted. Notice the inner, all card side of the wheel.
P1230936.JPG

Paddles cut from thin plastic card and ready for fixing in place.
P1230937.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well if you use the maggot to catch a fish - and then eat the fish......

Anyway, maggots are supposed to be full of protein and that's good for you.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'll bring a tin full for you to eat at the next Cosford bash. I'll stick to Tunnocks!

That's a nice offer Ron, but really you shouldn't! I tried health food once - many years ago - and, while it was OK, I decided there was no way I wanted to live on it. I'll stick to my junk food thanks.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Here's the final stages of the water wheel construction.
Paddles glued. I used ordinary general purpose adhesive for all the wheel construction.
P1230938.JPG

First coat of brown paint sloshed on with a brush. The rougher the better to produce the various stains etc.
P1230939.JPG

I first made this simplified version of a water wheel a few years back for a diorama, so I apologize to those who have seen the construction before.

I hope those who have not seen it before might perhaps find a use for the making of it in a future project.

Now I've made the wheel I can start on the buildings to house it - and more besides!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I forgot to post a picture of the buildings side of the river bank.
P1230958.JPG

I've finished the second paratrooper.
I notice some folks write that they magnify other modeller's efforts. Pointless doing it with my figures because-

A. They will look bloody awful!
B. I always paint to suit the scale distance the figure should be viewed at, which is certainly not close up.

Lieutenant Bilko stopping the smart ar*e! Brush painted with Vallejo Model Air, then brushed with dry filler powder. Paper gun strap and chin straps. Also paper camo. helmet strips.
P1230981.JPG

P1230979.JPG

P1230980.JPG

P1230974.JPG

Perhaps not be up to much, but he's the best I can do.
I'll paint the shoulder flashes when I've completed all three Troopers.

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 6559

Looks very good to me Ron.

I also shudder when people say they've zoomed in on something, as I always paint with actual viewing distance in mind.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Peter. I'm chuffed you approve.

I also shudder when people say they've zoomed in on something, as I always paint with actual viewing distance in mind.

It's good to read I'm not the only one who frowns on zoom merchants and great that you paint figures from the same perspective. Such a statement from someone with your amazing painting talent gives me some hope and incentive to try and improve.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
570, methinks you understate your abilities. Scale distance is important, particularly in the smaller scales. I think Bilko looks just right. Cheers, Rick H.