"Ease up Old Timer, we need your help!" Foucarville, 7th June 1944

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ron
Looking good....agree ref the gable end timbering though, and would possibly expect a bit more around the wheel pivot as well.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the feed back boys.

I've added just a single diagonal brace to the gable. Rather like part of a modern roof truss. Keep in mind it's only half a roof.
P1240066.JPG

I've also added some more metal to the inner parts of the wheel. As most of the middle will be hidden, I just used dark metal paint to simulate the wheel hub bits.

Not only a dirty thumb nail, but too long as well....Disgusting!............MATRON!
P1240067.JPG

I've been chewing over ideas for a second building, so that'll be next.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I can squeeze in a small building on the left of the mill.

Earlier this afternoon I had an idea to try some brickwork inlaid between the structural timber work.

Here is the front elevation. No paper template, I worked directly onto the foam board.
P1230948.JPG

Bricks and wood grain scribed onto the board with a scalpel, and then a slurry of Dk. Grey brushed on.
P1230949.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice work Paul.... :thumb2:
I'm starting to chop and change a bit too much with the build , so I'm going to concentrate on the stone work.
Originally I was going to have a simple wooden walkway connecting the mill with the farm track, but have decided to model a stone bridge instead.
Obviously it needed to span both the mill race and the stream to reach the track. Also, I needed to complete the mill race wall and the face of the weir.

All the bits.
The mill race wall, complete with wheel axle hole. The bridge sides and the two components for the weir.
P1240068.JPG

Pencil and scribed onto foam board.
P1240049.JPG

An all over dark wash.
P1240061.JPG

First coat of colour. Painted in cheapo acrylics. The steps down to the track are built up from off cuts of board
P1240072.JPG

The arches are thin cardboard
P1240073.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looks great. Love your little bridge.
You said earlier that the scribing was done with a scalpel. How do you do it? With the point or the flat edge? I ask because when I've tried scribing foam board I have real trouble getting it as neat as yours.
Thanks
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim. I'm glad you like the diddy bridge.

To answer your question, after I've marked things out with a pencil, I use the point of a scalpel and follow my markings. I always do this freehand, thus ensuring a few intentional wobbly joints in the stonework....As you can probably see!

If a steel rule is used the joints are far too uniform and straight.

I would think if you tried to use the flat or back edge of the scalpel it would just tear the board.

Cheers.
Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
That is very effective looks really good. I use the same method as you for scribing the board, but using the back of the blade using gentle pressure can give a nice rough edge for rough stone work.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron,
That is very effective looks really good. I use the same method as you for scribing the board, but using the back of the blade using gentle pressure can give a nice rough edge for rough stone work.
Quite right Paul. I forgot to mention to Jim that after I've scribed with the sharp point, I sometimes go over the 'Cuts' with the reverse side of the blade to, as you write, roughen up the stone edges a bit.
Sorry Jim!

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
More progress on the stonework.

The weir area.
P1240070.JPG

Painted up using cheap acrylics (As usual)
P1240078.JPG

The right hand end of the mill.
P1240052.JPG

The unpainted mill race wall with some serious weathering for behind the wheel.
P1240071.JPG

Coffee stirrer boards for wheel access and loading any diddy boats wot come down stream for some flour, grain whatever.
P1240076.JPG

P1240075.JPG

General view. Wheel finally fixed and some boards still to be painted.
P1240077.JPG

Sluice gate to make, then back to building buildings.

The Grebe said it can use the boards to access the wheel to use it as a tread mill to build his strength up so he can improve his karate.

Cheers all and thanks for looking in.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking good. Looking forward to the water especially all the splashy bits on the wheel.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Only asking Ron, but wouldn't there be some sort of safety rail to stop folks falling onto the wheel? Otherwise excellent - keep it coming!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Only asking Ron, but wouldn't there be some sort of safety rail to stop folks falling onto the wheel? Otherwise excellent - keep it coming!
My dear chap, giz a chance. There's a long way to go before completion...... ;) wink, wink.

In any case, this was built in the days when people were expected to use common sense, not like the modern day Mamby Pamby "Sue 'em, it wasn't safe." culture.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm adding some detail to start to bring the build to life a bit more.

I've started to make the top sluice gate.
I'm using cut down coffee stirrers. Much as balsa is easy to use, I prefer the harder, closer grain of stirrers. Balsa is too soft and goes furry when wet..... :flushed:

Here is the first stage of the gate. To my own design, the dagger boards actually slides up and down too!
P1240080.JPG

Front face. See how the grain is far tighter than balsa....and stays that way too. Although balsa is a hardwood, I sometimes find it just too brittle. But we all have our own 'wood' favourite, and like most things in our game, it's all down to personal choice.
P1240081.JPG

The back.
P1240082.JPG

....a loose fit.
P1240083.JPG

Next I'll make up the actual winding mechanism, then weather whole thing.

Cheers.
Ron