Fill 'er up!

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Coming along really well mate. Great to see the positive feedback on the tanker on ISM channel.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve.

I haven't gotten around to watching the video yet. Sounds like I should :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Not quite as cold as the day the water froze up in my brush cleaning jar, but still thick socks and long johns weather!

XnRLLQT.jpg

I've done a bit more work on the Jeep, leaving the steering wheel and screen off for now to make fitting the driver easier. The machine gun and its mount pinged off into oblivion so I've added some baggage in the back to cover up the hole! They need a matt coat yet.

R1bcVy8.jpg

Unfortunately I've ruined it when gluing the tools on, but it's something I've come to expect when using CA. I may try and disguise it by having a figure stood talking to the driver, but haven't decided yet.

xMvDx3b.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I must admit to painting tools etc in situ where I can these days because I got fed up with glue stains as well....looks good though Andy.

First Name
Andy
Nice to see how well it's going Andy and the plane and tanker look well together, keep up the good work.

Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy
Looking good mate. I use a glass fibre pencil to remove any excess glue.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, 40 deg. F.........shirt sleeve weather here in Montana :cool: ......I put me shades on in case the sun comes out;). I'm with Pete, a little mud would look good. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
When it’s too cold for everyone else it’s just about right for Montana.......

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great job on the jeep. Excellent save on the mirror. Suggestions? Lighten up seat cushions, add mud on the threshold booboo, and a rifle/Thompson scabbard in front of the shovel. Thoughts w/2nd cuppa. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for all the comments everyone, although I can barely feel my toes Rick after sat motionless for most of the day. With the heater on it did warm up to a balmy 55°F, but still not particularly pleasant :smiling5:

A bit of matt varnish has taken your eye off the worst of the glue mess. Hopefully by the time I've finished weathering it'll be hardly noticeable to most, but obviously it'll always be the first thing I see lol

I've slapped all of figures together and they aren't looking too bad (remembering we're in 1/48 here). They've had a coat of primer, then a quick blast with some colour I had lying around as a base. It might just be me but I've found brush paint behaves much better over an acrylic base, rather than the lacquer primer I use, so I've started with a light airbrushed coat of something along the right lines of the final colours.

You might also see in the background the basic colours I've mixed up from AK acrylics. Since I only have a small range I've mixed up some "starter" shades as close as I can to the Tamiya references and the box art, which I can then load onto my palette and mix highlights and shades from, while still keeping the basic colour. It almost sounds like I know what I'm doing, but as the saying goes: "fake it 'til you make it"

ygSOCpu.jpg

I have a kind of idea how they'll be placed, but nothing is set in stone just yet.

The two guys on the left are from the refuelling set so will be posed alongside the truck. The Jeep driver will be chatting to the guy front & centre, and the chap 3rd from left will be sat having a crafty smoke, in front of some fuel barrels, and be receiving a stern dressing down from the General and the one with the rifle for doing so.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul. There are a few more in the kit so might even end up using those as well.

They didn't half need some clean up though! One even had a huge seam line right through the centre of his face

D

Deleted member 7181

Figures are coming along.

I've had to wimp out and rely on blocking in the main colours and using washes as I didn't realise how much it would aggravate my finger by having the brush resting on it for so many hours. While it has mostly healed the top part still hasn't, and after today's work is quite tender and swollen (picture if you aren't squeamish)

But I'll get back to them tomorrow with a bit of detail painting and maybe some drybrushing to try and liven them up a bit more. My wife thinks a couple of them are looking rather camp, which isn't really what I was going for :smiling5:

Clgl5hj.jpg

Then it's on to the scary part of trying to make a decent looking base. I'd really rather not but I've committed myself by posting in this section, so can't turn back now.

Fingers crossed :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

This is pretty much done now.

As I said at the outset I don't have the creative juices (or the patience! :smiling5: ) to do much more than a basic scene, but this is how it has turned out.

Sorry for the horrific snaps, I'll try and get some better ones if the orangy thing in the sky ever shows up.

kC9HYee.jpg

JmI8cCl.jpg

ZEnjEGc.jpg

4ePULSB.jpg

aC9dV2i.jpg

I think I'll stick to a single model & base for now, and hopefully work my way back to this section in the future :smiling3:

Thanks as always for looking in, and for the encouraging comments.