Gecko 1/35 Supacat ATMP

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew. I thought I'd replied to you earlier but I must have forgotten to press the button, so it's been sat at the bottom of my screen all day!

I'm nearly there with the etch, just the tool straps I think. Then there's plenty more once I break the figures out of their box!

Thanks Kevin and Jim. As for the tyre, a picture speaks a thousand words...

TuFUTFL.jpg

More practice! :smiling5:

It's been a busy day but I've managed to get a bit of bench time and progressed with the driver. He needed a lot of cleaning up, and there's some more work to do, and some filling, but at least I know I can get him in & out. The "handlebars" should sit more horizontal, and they are holding him up in his seat a little, but that's because the connecting thingy is a bit long. I'll trim it later. He sits better when I press him down, but didn't think you'd want my fat fingers in the picture!

A bit more trimming and I think I've cracked it.

V0T5fns.jpg

fxhHTpl.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve.

I'm hoping to get the build stage finished today, then I can crack on with the painting.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Coming on nicely Andy, though that kit seems to be "good in parts".
Pete

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. Looking very well the PE work is impressive

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy. Looking very well the PE work is impressive
Thanks Lee. I've been doing a bit more today, the hardest yet. Pictures later.

Coming on nicely Andy, though that kit seems to be "good in parts".
Pete
Thanks Pete. To a more skilled or patient modeller it would be a cracking kit, I've just been spoiled lately by the Tamiya and Zvezda ones I've done.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the continued support Ian.

Well the build stage is just about finished now. I haven't added the mirrors as they look extremely delicate, and the wheel / hub / brake disc set up is a bit weird, so they'll be fitted after painting. Six relatively large wheels with a miniscule contact point might cause some fun though.

The last bits of etch went on first. Probably nothing out of the ordinary for some of you guys, but it was a real challenge for me. The tool straps could be classed as working, as they are stuck down with 2 separate brackets, then you have to wrap the strap around the tool, thread it through the buckle, and fold a retaining loop over. One of the brackets pinged off my tweezers, but the rest of it went surprisingly well. Like Worzel Gummage I wear different heads. I must have had my calm one on today! :smiling5:

The axe had a retaining bracket as well. A bit of a sloppy fit, but once it was on I wasn't going to risk taking it off to file it down to size!

mczPcpe.jpg

Shovel on the opposite side, and a good shot of much of the PE.

f579oep.jpg

So after a clean it was on to primer. The etch got a coat of Mr Metal brushed on first. Once dry it had a coat of Mr Primer Surfacer (belt & braces!) before the whole thing got a coat of Mr Finishing Surfacer. The pots at the back are for the wheels. Each one is slightly different so since I'm not fitting them right away, I've marked them up on the instructions, and will hopefully keep them in order when I take them out for paint!

BRHeup8.jpg

aE4mjq3.jpg

I did a little bit of pre-shading with white, and the driver, now with all his accessories, pouches & weapon added, got a light coat of Buff. This is AK's verson and it seems very yellow, but it's just an overall base to get me started. I'll have to desaturate and lighten it a fair bit I think as I want a well worn and faded look if I can.

vE5QKeD.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great work Andy,

You are moving forward at a great pace with this. Good to see you are not letting the little set backs get you down. I think the etch tool straps look fine to me and so neatly applied. Can't wait to see a coat on her.....

Fig is looking tops too Scratchy!!!

Prost
Allen

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Allen. Up and down like a yo-yo me. Always have been :upside:

Thanks Tim. Even further out of my comfort zone and onto the figures next... :smiling2:

First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy, nice work with the PE, if you want to improve your skills with fiddly things try a set of Tamiya race car seat belts, sticky plastic and tiny PE..........deep joy. ;)

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim and Pete.

It's starting to get chilly in the shed so I'm off out early to get the heater on. Should be nice and warm by the time I get started.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy great work yet again!!!

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew.

I started painting the vehicle this morning, but since I'm using AK acrylics it needs plenty of time to dry between stages (unlike lacquers) so I cracked open the figures. Gecko have decided to add to the fun by labelling completely different sprues with the same letter

TpVDXx6.jpg

But here's the first one assembled, the poor casualty. Given how much clean up he's had so far, and how much more needs doing, it'll be a steady process. I'm letting him rest easy and set up solid before attacking him with the filler.

X8z33FM.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

With 3 figures assembled and basecoated so far, I'm beginning to get an idea of the layout.

AeHpeIy.jpg

yvLhoQY.jpg

I'm doing a bit of painting on the vehicle in between too. I made a real hash of the acrylic washes, even though the guy from Laser Creation World that I follow on YouTube makes it look so easy. Nothing I can't salvage though.

3 more figures to go, then loads of accessories. If I can get everything cleaned, built, primed and basecoated before I go back to work on Sunday that'd be great, as I can just spend a bit of time here and there of an evening starting the real painting. If I'm a good boy, 'er indoors might even let me do it in the warmth & comfort of my own home! :smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looking really good scratchy,

Figures are my scare point in life, but you are doing a great job with these. I like the layout of the three and it should work well...

I think the guy on the right is trying to say something...Maybe " I can't believe how many injuries he has from that scratchy guy with the hobby knife!!! I don't think I have enough bandages to fix him up. I hope this IV with the gin in it will help".....

Seriously though, the best part is the sprues with the same letters. I wonder how much they pay these guys at the factory......

Prost
Allen

PS, The Supacat in the background is looking fine Andy. Love the paint!!!