German Ingenuity 39(H) 10.5cm LeFH18(Sf) auf Geschutzwagen

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Sorry Richard, but we use the Euro now. DM's went out in 2000...…………..I have to drive that way when I go to England too!!! Good practice for when I get to your side of the world! Take care my friend…...

Prost
Allen
Allen,
Do not worry about which side of the road you use - the Dover locals are adept at telling you. Came out the docks at 0 silly time in the morning, turned right outside the docks, climbed the hill (Jubilee Way), got to the island at the top and then realised I was on the wrong side of the road...... the police officer was very understanding.....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I have picked out certain parts of the interior for detail painting and wash. Also highlighting with steel inareas with wear like the elevating wheels, gun breech and cradle.

U40.jpg

U41.jpg

Just made sure that every nook and crany of the tracks was covered in dirty brown over the black.

U42.jpg

I think with dirt and grass the pins will be sufficiently covered and remain hidden from view.

U43.jpg

I'll be weathering the tracks next and this is where I begin where I left off...

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Oooooh! That is so nice Richard. Your paint work is always so crisp. I am intrigued with your choice of colour for the breach. I never know whether to do it metal like yours or the vehicle base colour. What are your thoughts on this please?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, thanks. There's no great shakes with the painting...I still use the old Verlinden techique of layered dry brushing. The breach actually recieved an extra dose of post shading so it's much darker than the vehical base color. Then layers of steel dry brushing. The process is more clear on the gun sight where a lot of wear happens. I use the airbrush for post shading and a fine flat brush for the dry brushing with strokes similar to women applying blush to their cheeks...very lightly until the desired effect.

Here I've done some thin airbrushing of the base color to the running wheels and bogies...

U44.jpg

... plus painting the tracks and dry brushing. Not gluing the sub assemblies makes it easier to paint. There will be more weathering coming.

U48.jpg

Applied pre-shading to the exterior hull armor sides with a bit of modulation.

U45.jpg

The tape holds the structure together without gluing.

U46.jpg

The pre-shadeding is soft with streaks that will show under the base coat later.

U47.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey Bob, thanks. :tears-of-joy: I guess the name Geschutzwagen could mean I guess its a shooting wagon.

Cheers,
Richard

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Richard,
Excellent build, looking forward to the end result.
Cheers, Mike.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Must have taken ages to type out the order for them lol. If that was i me i would think bugger this and type Hummel

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Guys thanks,

Mike, the end will take a while but I hope to finish before the 27th of this month.
Lee, yes smart and ugly.
Bob, just imagine fitting it onto the base plate. :flushed:

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Bob, thanks. :tears-of-joy: I guess the name Geschutzwagen could mean I guess its a shooting wagon.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi mate Geschutzwagen directly translates as protective vehicle so the crew are offered protection

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi mate Geschutzwagen directly translates as protective vehicle so the crew are offered protection
Sorry, but you’re getting some words mixed up here :smiling3:

Schutz /ˈʃut͡s/ = protection
schützen /ˈʃʏ.t͡sən/ = to protect
Geschütz /gəˈʃʏt͡s/ = gun (of large calibre — a rifle or pistol isn’t a Geschütz)
der Schütze /dɛɐ ˈʃʏ.t͡sə/ = the gunner

(The words between // is the approximate pronunciation, indicated using the International Phonetic Alphabet.)

Geschützwagen literally means “Gun vehicle”.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
:tears-of-joy: Sounds like I nearly got it Scottie and Jakko...shooting wagon=gun vehicle.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
:tears-of-joy: Sounds like I nearly got it Scottie and Jakko...shooting wagon=gun vehicle.
Close enough to get the approximate meaning, true. BTW, “to shoot” is schießen (note: <ß>, or “Eszett”, is equivalent to ss, but not perfectly interchangeable with it).

Whats German for, god damn ugly!
Literally? Gottverdammt hässlich — though that doesn’t really sound to me like a native German-speaker would actually put it that way.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, well back to the Gottverdammt hässlich wagon :smiling3:

I did another pass of dark yellow to the wheels and boggies with the airbrush...

U49.jpg

After the base coat of dark yellow I did some heavy masking to color in the brown and green camo...

U50.jpg

Results will come later...wasn't very happy so repainted. this will be shown too when I get the images up and loaded.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is totally awesome Richard. Whatever the name of the vehicle is doesn't matter, just so long as it has DB's on the number plate. Looking forward to seeing how the camo comes out. Terrific work sir