Gern's 1/32 Trumpeter F-105G - A Sad End.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave has'nt that Sansodor turned up yet ? where's it comin from planet zog ? lol

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Arrived Saturday - eventually! I'll be trying it out today while I'm helping PJ, so hopefully some progress by close of play today - which could of course be 4:00am tomorrow by your clock!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Arrived Saturday - eventually! I'll be trying it out today while I'm helping PJ, so hopefully some progress by close of play today - which could of course be 4:00am tomorrow by your clock!
YEA you work all night dont you an just sleep when you want to dont you dave there is no such thing as a orderly day for you so i will wait till tomorrow when you are in kip to see what you are up to an has clyde cleaned his self up yet ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just finished cleaning and assembling the wings and sorting out the fuselage seam. although I will be putting this on a base and fixing the wheels down, I have added a small amount of weight to the nose. I know fixing the wheels should stop it tail sitting but better safe than sorry.

I'll have some pics a bit later today (your tomorrow Chris!) after I've had some kip and been to the shops. I'm gonna have to stop buying those cheap batteries 'cos my camera's run out of power again!

That Sansodor worked really well removing the masking tape residue but I got a question. I've already painted and Kleared the wings. Will I need to clean them of any Sansodor residue before I add decals or do I just wait for it to dry - it will be many days before I'm ready for decalling so there's lots of time.

PS Chris: Yeah. He's got himself cleaned up - and now I'm having to use an old stool to sit on 'cos he's pinched my seat!

PPS I'm off to beddy byes!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just leave it to dry Dave, it shouldn't leave a residue.
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not the best pictures, but they do show you sometimes can't have enough clamps.

IMGP4000.JPGIMGP4001.JPGIMGP4002.JPG

Apart from the front part of the cockpit, I think I've got the fuselage seams sorted - primer will show anything I've missed. I've used Tamiya putty for the first time and I'm impressed. It has a much better 'grab' to the plastic and is slightly thicker than the new formula Squadron Green - which is good as I'm going to have LOTS of filling to do along the wing edges.

Does anyone know what colour I should use for FOD covers on the intakes? If my ideas about this pan out, I'll need to make some.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave FOD cover are normaly red an did you have a good kip ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HI Dave FOD cover are normaly red an did you have a good kip ?

Thanks Chris, red it will be. I woke up after about 5 hours which is plenty. I'll go for a week on just a few hours a night, then have a 'proper' lie-in for 10-12 hours! One of the perks of being retired and living alone.

I've been thinking about resurrecting an old unfinished build (you got to go a LONG way back in my threads to find which one! I know you're not interested in my stuff so I won't bore you with the details :smiling: ) once I've done this one. I bought a small lighting set which works fine but I'm wondering how to fix the miniature LEDs into position. Can I use a drop of CA or do I need something else?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Chris, red it will be. I woke up after about 5 hours which is plenty. I'll go for a week on just a few hours a night, then have a 'proper' lie-in for 10-12 hours! One of the perks of being retired and living alone.

I've been thinking about resurrecting an old unfinished build (you got to go a LONG way back in my threads to find which one! I know you're not interested in my stuff so I won't bore you with the details :smiling: ) once I've done this one. I bought a small lighting set which works fine but I'm wondering how to fix the miniature LEDs into position. Can I use a drop of CA or do I need something else?

Thanks for the 'Like' Chris, but you didn't answer my question. Can I use CA to fix LEDs in place - obviously on the wiring rather than on the LED itself.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

HI Dave fixing the led's i use super glue to fit mine but you must be carefull not to pull on the wires as if they are the 2mm ones like i use i look through my magnifirer an put a small drop of S/G on the backs of the led's to hold the wires in place then a little more to fix it in postion where you want it to go easy peasy
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI DAVE :thinking: well whats happening on this is there a srike in the building plant ?:rolling:lol ;):upside::smiling::smiling:
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Dave whats happening ? as ive got my intrest back lol
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yeah. Well you see it's like this Chris.

Last weekend I heard Clyde (he's the scruffy one remember?) hammering and banging on the cat flap to be let in. It's one of those electronic ones which picks up a signal from a microchip - or at least it was. It was broke and didn't work for either of my cats. I took it out of the door and took it to pieces to find one of the connecting wires to the motor had come adrift. It wasn't just the soldered bit, it was the little brass plate that the wire was soldered to. Not being any sort of electrician, I asked my brother-in-law to have a look. He got the motor working but when I put it near the cats to try it, it still didn't work so off to the pet shop for another. That cost me about £60.

It's a Georgian type panel door and the new flap is smaller than the old one and leaves huge gaps around the opening; so I've had to make a couple of panels to fit either side of my door. I've used some Palfoam which is a strong plastic foam material. It's great stuff but needs a strong solvent type adhesive so I can't fit them just yet, I'm waiting for some proper adhesive to arrive. Meantime I've got the flap taped to the door with Cellotape. I'm still having to help Clyde with it. The sensor for the chip is tucked right inside the frame and the range is very short. The cats have to use their head to push the door open. Clyde is still trying to open it with his paws so his head doesn't get close enough to operate the sensor!

Monday I was working with PJ all day so didn't get anything done for myself. I did a bit of clean-up on my Thud on Tuesday and was going to start filling the gaps on the wings. This was about 2:30 on Wed morning - still my Tuesday night as you know - when my smoke alarm went off.

Any idea how loud that is in the wee small hours of the morning? Went into the kitchen to find smoke pouring out the back of my tumble dryer. Turned it off and checked for flames - no sign so I opened the door and window to clear the smoke. Found a stick to turn the ceiling mounted alarms off - didn't work. Turned off all the mains power as the alarms are mains powered - didn't work. Comes a knock on the front door, both my neighbours asking if I'm OK. Apologised profusely for waking them and had to wait for the smoke to clear enough for the alarm to stop. Only took about 10 minutes so not too bad.

Spent Wednesday and Thursday looking around for a replacement tumble dryer. Ain't they expensive?! Found a second-hand one from a local shop for £130 so saved a bit on that.

So that was two things yeah? I'm sat there waiting on Friday for shoe number three to drop. Nothing happened so I'm thinking that the old superstition about bad things happening in threes was just a myth. I shoulda known better!

Went to collect my new tumble dryer this morning and the guys in the shop kindly loaded it into the back of my motor. No problems 'til a nice kind gentleman waved me out of a side road on the way home. Not wanting to keep him waiting, I put my foot down a little to pull out of the side road. Now I need a new rear window on my motor!

I'm gonna either have to light more candles to the gods or get bigger ones!

Still, every cloud you know? P'raps that will be it for the bad luck for a while. Meanwhile it's gettin' a bit warm in here 'cos of all those candles - off to open a window!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You're having a hard time Dave! What make tumble dryer was it - I know there are recalls for several makes due to fire risk.
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's a Hotpoint - one of the ones that was recalled. I bought it second hand about 8 years ago and I've only ever used it while I've been at home - just in case. I suppose it's now debatable whether the £100 I saved by buying second hand was worth it.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH DEAR Dave very sorry to hear of your misfourtunes i think if you get back to modeling you'll beat your bad luck an it will just seem like a bad nightmare dream an jen an i wish you all the best from now on so get a lucky charm an stick in your pocket

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Back on it today Chris. I'll have some pics later - maybe even with wings on!
HOOOOOORRRRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY lookin forward to hear an see something from you dave as you make me laugh an i certainly need a good laugh today
chris