Gern's 1/32 Trumpeter F-105G - A Sad End.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry for the delay Chris, had some transport problems.

I mentioned all the dashboard warnings on my motor were lighting up. Got it to my garage OK, but when he tried to get it into the workshop, it wouldn't start. By the time he got it going, it was the end of the day - and now he's on holiday for a week, so no motor.

Not normally a problem, but this weekend my two nieces have to get to university; one in Swansea, the other in Wrexham; and my brother doesn't drive! Normally I take them in my car and would have to do two journeys as I couldn't fit all their stuff in. Bro thought it would be a good idea to hire a van big enough so I could fit both lots of stuff and do both on the same day to save him money! Back in the day as a driver, I'd have had no problem, but I was much younger then. Took some convincing, but two days it is! I lost two days sorting all that out, and I'll lose two more this weekend.

Not to worry though, I know you have absolutely no interest in this build so the delay doesn't matter! :smiling:

Meanwhile, I have done just a little bit more.

View attachment 397229

Got the whole of the undersides of the wings painted which will save a lot of fiddling around with masking later, and finished the basecoat in the wheelbays. Some weathering will be added later in the build. I'm hoping to get the wings together tonight and finish dealing with the step in the fuselage.
WELL Dave i hope you get your wheels fixed as its like losein your best freind isnt it to be with out a car an as for this whatchamacllit built well aaaaaaaahhhhhrrrr

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
WELL Dave i hope you get your wheels fixed as its like losein your best freind isnt it to be with out a car an as for this whatchamacllit built well aaaaaaaahhhhhrrrr

Yeah. I had to go shopping and thought of using the bus. You have to wear a mask to use buses though, and as I only use a mask when I'm out and about in the motor, guess where all my masks are? So I needed to use the bus to get some masks but couldn't use the bus until I had a mask!

Joseph Heller would have understood perfectly!

PS I won't leave you in suspenders about how I solved this problem. I managed to scrounge a lift - and a mask to go into the supermarket - with my sister.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well Dave, that’s one dirty kitty......quite unusual for a feline, they usually like to stay relatively clean.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yeah. I had to go shopping and thought of using the bus. You have to wear a mask to use buses though, and as I only use a mask when I'm out and about in the motor, guess where all my masks are? So I needed to use the bus to get some masks but couldn't use the bus until I had a mask!

Joseph Heller would have understood perfectly!

PS I won't leave you in suspenders about how I solved this problem. I managed to scrounge a lift - and a mask to go into the supermarket - with my sister.

Cor Dave about the masks thats one catch 22 situation :smiling: :sad:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cor Dave about the masks thats one catch 22 situation :smiling: :sad:
Mail order was invented for just such a situation. “Go to the shops because we’ve nothing left to eat? Sure, I can do that … the day after tomorrow, when the face masks I’m about to order get here.” :smiling3:

First Name
Andy
If you used proper bikers hankerchiefs you could have tied one over your mouth and nose, a face covering is a face covering. ;)

Andy.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat office work Dave, cats in boxes ok but even on the parts???

Nice looking duo you got there :thumb2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If you used proper bikers hankerchiefs you could have tied one over your mouth and nose, a face covering is a face covering. ;)

Andy.

The only motorised two wheel machine I've ever ridden was an old Honda 50 moped some 50 years ago - and I KNOW that doesn't count as a real bike (just like I know that my only trip abroad was to Anglesey and I went over the bridge to get there, so that doesn't count either!) - so I've never needed to own a proper biker's handkerchief.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Neat office work Dave, cats in boxes ok but even on the parts???

Nice looking duo you got there :thumb2:

Thanks Fernando. I wouldn't be without them despite the fact they can both be a PITA sometimes! It's taken me ages to get rid of all the hairs he left attached to the parts by static electricity!

PS Thanks for the nice comment about my build too!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mail order was invented for just such a situation. “Go to the shops because we’ve nothing left to eat? Sure, I can do that … the day after tomorrow, when the face masks I’m about to order get here.” :smiling3:

That mail order stuff does sometimes have its limitations.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was busy this weekend taking all my nieces' stuff to their Uni digs - my brother doesn't drive and my car is in the garage so he had to hire a van. That stupid stick you have to spend all day waggling about when you're driving is a total PITA. I understand some drivers like it and I think they really need their heads examined! Each to their own though and I daresay some of them feel the same way about my preference for automatics (cars that is, not guns).

Anyway, as a result of being busy I left the masking tape on the wings of my Thud for three days and now I've taken it off, I have some sticky residue left behind. What's the best thing to remove it - preferably without removing the paint and Klear varnish?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I was busy this weekend taking all my nieces' stuff to their Uni digs - my brother doesn't drive and my car is in the garage so he had to hire a van. That stupid stick you have to spend all day waggling about when you're driving is a total PITA. I understand some drivers like it and I think they really need their heads examined! Each to their own though and I daresay some of them feel the same way about my preference for automatics (cars that is, not guns).

Anyway, as a result of being busy I left the masking tape on the wings of my Thud for three days and now I've taken it off, I have some sticky residue left behind. What's the best thing to remove it - preferably without removing the paint and Klear varnish?
OH so Dave you got the lazy mans car in your merk then just up my street that is as i must admit driven an waggling that stick all day is bloomin tireing an i had a bluebird 2 litre auto with over drive an it was a joy to drive with the cruise controll on all i had to do was steer it trouble was i was thirsty only about 30 mls to gallon

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have some sticky residue left behind. What's the best thing to remove it - preferably without removing the paint and Klear varnish?
Odourless white spirit.
Pete

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It seems to be less 'hot' Dave.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’d agree with that Peter, it’s much less aggressive. I use low odour white spirit (sansodor) for making washes out of oil paint and find underlying paint is not adversely affected. Smelly white spirit can strip the paint or leave horrible white residue tidemark.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
GOO-GONE works great. Citrus base is made for this. PaulE

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

HI DAVE regards that stick in the van how did you get on usein the clutch ?
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HI DAVE regards that stick in the van how did you get on usein the clutch ?
chris

Hi Chris. I'm sure I answered this last week - maybe I didn't press the post reply button. :upside: :rolling:

No problems with the stick but I did get a couple of dashboard messages saying I wasn't pressing the pedal hard enough!