SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Gerry I’ll be following right along with the others

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
A start has been made, now plucking up the courage to cut my first bit of PE!

IMG_20220201_193850846~2.jpg
IMG_20220201_193831745~2.jpg
IMG_20220201_193108504~3.jpg
And the landmark point, not only cut, but filed down and affixed (hopefully the contact adhesive will work after being in the fridge for a few weeks!)
IMG_20220201_195714627~2.jpg

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gerry

Since the skis were rigidly attached to the frame, a special mechanism had to be used to steer, similar to a ship's rudder. Two rudders were installed behind each ski. The aerosan was steered with pedals and a steering wheel. The KRSTB radio was used to communicate, identical to the one used on tanks.

1643745576298.png

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks John, not sure about the rudders on this one (no sign of them) however, working on it, there seems to be some sort of 'torsion bar' which comes out of the body/fusalage in the middle (can see it on the box art) which goes to each ski, then there's what looks like a sprung lever mid way along the centre re-inforcing bar(?) and under the ski what looks like a bar.
The spring looking bit
IMG_20220201_201018257~2.jpg
The part moulded under the ski
IMG_20220201_200959014~2.jpg

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Good luck with this one Gerry. It’s certainly different.
Must admit that I'm a little 'perverse' in that I like 'different' - hadn't come across anything like these until Dave (Ward) pointed one out on another thread of mine!
A great start. Bet you're pleased with the first piece of pe.
Jim
Glad that it went 'well', but it was just a straight cut off, file and attach - next test will be putting a 90 degree bend in a piece! :smiling: (after that, I think its turning 4 pieces into 'channel', then it's rolling a bit into a circle - all a learning curve!)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Rather remiss on this - my excuse is 2-fold,
1/ was working the Siberian State Ballet shows at the local theatre (Snow Maiden and Romeo and Juliet)
and
2/ eldest son decided to tear down my PC, which is at my 'bench', meaning that the workspace was full of computer bits.
Should be able to get back to work on it Thursday (hopefully!)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well, section 2 of the destructions completed, mind you, if I'd realised the amount that would be hidden, I don't think that I'd have included/painted it
Anyway, interior shots
IMG_20220210_153524105~2.jpg
IMG_20220210_153541409~2.jpg
Looking like it's going to need a little filler here (did use some on the fuel tank(?) inside, as the seam really was awful)
IMG_20220210_153634234~2.jpg
Now buttoned up, and a lot of the stuff is hidden!
IMG_20220210_154743390.jpg
IMG_20220210_154710083~2.jpg
IMG_20220210_154724466~2.jpg

Start on the PE in earnest in the next section, 4 bits to be curved to match the rear of the vehicle, and the 4 parts that will be fitted to the ski suspension

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_154743390~2.jpg
    IMG_20220210_154743390~2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Seems to be building up well with no real dramas Gerry. Pity about the interior :worried:
Thanks Tim
Yes, first time with a Trumpeter kit, while the destructions are a bit 'hit and miss', the kit seems to be nice to work with.
Think that the last tank I did was a king tiger with full interior years ago.
Hi Gerry
As Tim says it all looks to be going well. Even if a lot of the interior won't be seen you know it's there. :thumb2:
Jim
Yes Jim, hopefully I'll learn quickly for the next steps with the PE.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John, not sure about the rudders on this one (no sign of them) however, working on it, there seems to be some sort of 'torsion bar' which comes out of the body/fusalage in the middle (can see it on the box art) which goes to each ski, then there's what looks like a sprung lever mid way along the centre re-inforcing bar(?) and under the ski what looks like a bar.
The spring looking bit
View attachment 444394
The part moulded under the ski
View attachment 444395
That must been a mod at some point Gerry .
It's looking good, though a shame about the interior not going to be seem that much.
Like Jim says at least you know it's there .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That must been a mod at some point Gerry .
It's looking good, though a shame about the interior not going to be seem that much.
Like Jim says at least you know it's there .
I've a feeling that it may well be a mod either before or after this model - or of course, it could just be a different factory - think from reading what kind folks have found, there was two or three different factories building them.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hmmmm,....
.... I'm never sure about the "At least you know it's there" thing....
.... It always reminds me of when youve been let down in your love life and someone stumps up with,"Don't worry mate, there's plenty more fish in the sea".....
Yeah,I know,BUT I DON'T WANT A BLOODY FISH DO I ?!!!! ;)
Anyway,this is coming along a pace and you're making a good job of it,
Nice one,:smiling3:
Andy

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hmmmm,....
.... I'm never sure about the "At least you know it's there" thing....
.... It always reminds me of when youve been let down in your love life and someone stumps up with,"Don't worry mate, there's plenty more fish in the sea".....
Yeah,I know,BUT I DON'T WANT A BLOODY FISH DO I ?!!!! ;)
Anyway,this is coming along a pace and you're making a good job of it,
Nice one,:smiling3:
Andy
Thanks Andy,
Must admit that with the "at least you know it's there" does save the "from this angle I can see what I've missed" thing ;)
Always thought that fish were a poor substitute - might smell the same, but!;)
Thanks, not a high number of parts, and as I've said, got the main PE parts to come, with their shaping in probably all ways that they can be (curves, circles, channel, angle and bracket) and so the learning curve starts to steepen to vertical!:smiling5::thinking:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Gerry,

You're doing fine Sir. The first time I tried etch, I was scared to death, but it actually worked out and even stuck to the kit correctly. Then it was all downhill from there. I think the biggest hurdle was getting it correctly placed within the wiggle time before the CA went off.....

From what I've read, the front skis were steerable and braking was achieved by a hook that dug into the snow from under the skis. It had a brake pedal, but I don't think it had ABS though.....................

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69