Gerry's Trumpeter 1/35 Armoured Aerosan

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry,

You're doing fine Sir. The first time I tried etch, I was scared to death, but it actually worked out and even stuck to the kit correctly. Then it was all downhill from there. I think the biggest hurdle was getting it correctly placed within the wiggle time before the CA went off.....

From what I've read, the front skis were steerable and braking was achieved by a hook that dug into the snow from under the skis. It had a brake pedal, but I don't think it had ABS though.....................

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69
Think that I'm 'cheating', in that I'm using 'Gorilla' gel CA, which seems to have a load of 'wriggle time' thinking almost as much as my usual 'Humbrol' plastic cement.
I've put a little 'splodge' onto a tin lid and used a straightened paperclip to apply it.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Gerry,

You're doing fine Sir. The first time I tried etch, I was scared to death, but it actually worked out and even stuck to the kit correctly. Then it was all downhill from there. I think the biggest hurdle was getting it correctly placed within the wiggle time before the CA went off.....

From what I've read, the front skis were steerable and braking was achieved by a hook that dug into the snow from under the skis. It had a brake pedal, but I don't think it had ABS though.....................

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69
Sounds like stopping it was an afterthought! Doesn't sound much better than sticking your feet through a hole in the floor,Flintstone style!! :smiling5:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
Cracking work so far mate and the etch gets easier as well mate.
Thanks Paul,
I'm hoping that my 'fear of etch' is groundless - probably done a lot more difficult stuff in the past and it'll go well, time will tell :smiling5:
Sounds like stopping it was an afterthought! Doesn't sound much better than sticking your feet through a hole in the floor,Flintstone style!! :smiling5:
Thinking that the whole concept is a bit 'Heath-Robinsonski' - after all, how much vodka is needed for somebody to say "Hey I've a brilliant idea, let's put an old aeroplane engine on skis and have a couple of guys to man it!" and for someone else to say "That's a brilliant idea comrade, let's do it!":tongue-out3::smiling5::smiling5:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well, got a couple of hours at it today, and it's a 'milestone' - first time 'properly' working with PE - it's fiddly!
Anyhow, the first 4 gentle bends to match the bodywork.
IMG_20220212_132840486~2.jpg
Then the suspension pivots
IMG_20220212_135626365~2.jpg
Then all fitted
IMG_20220212_132858963~2.jpg
IMG_20220212_132934475~2.jpg
IMG_20220212_140405792~2.jpg
Only one of those suspension bits gave me any problems, and that was the second one, as I thought that after struggling with the first, that it'd be easier to finish the bend after it was wrapped around the suspension end - no it wasn't, so had to use various tweezers to try and straighten it out.
Not as bigger drama/problems as I was worried about, still viewing PE with caution though. ;) :thumb2: :tongue-out3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gerry,
be careful re-bending PE, it causes work hardening, and can cause bits to crack if overdone. Anneal the part ( soften ) by warming, just to red hot ( just ), with something like a cigarette lighter, and allowing to cool - you can then rebend!
Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
be careful re-bending PE, it causes work hardening, and can cause bits to crack if overdone. Anneal the part ( soften ) by warming, just to red hot ( just ), with something like a cigarette lighter, and allowing to cool - you can then rebend!
Dave
Thanks Dave,
All I had to was to straighten it up, rather than straighten and re-bend, the area round the fusalage pin had sort of rounded out, so held the edge with one set of tweezers and did the straightening with another set of flat nosed ones. The rest wern't too bad, just spring them over the two pins and just nip up.
The gentle bends were done with the back of a set of tweezers and my thumb, as I noticed that the back of the fusalage was about the same.

So far so good :thumb2:
So far! Just some more 'awkward' bending to do, where I've got to bend it into triangular 'box' brackets :thinking::thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a read through......all looking very nice! When I first noticed the coil over shock system, I wondered then if you were going to use the "Rivet" Jones method and re-wrap them with copper wire to improve the detail. Since they are now installed on the build, they must have passed muster in the detail dept. Carry on Sir! :thumb2: Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry fantastic job on the interior and the rest of the build very clean build
Thanks Lee, it's actually seemingly (notice the 'seemingly' bit!) going reasonably well, I was expecting more problems.
Just had a read through......all looking very nice! When I first noticed the coil over shock system, I wondered then if you were going to use the "Rivet" Jones method and re-wrap them with copper wire to improve the detail. Since they are now installed on the build, they must have passed muster in the detail dept. Carry on Sir! :thumb2: Rick H.
Thank you Rick, must admit to not even giving removing the moulded springs a thought - they're quite good mouldings anyway.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking at the destructions, and I'm now thinking that it's about time to splash the pigments, got two brackets to fit, between the top PE and the top of the suspension, then before it gets too full of bits and pieces to get the brush in, can at least get the main body done.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
You pe work is coming on a treat, you certainly sound as if you're having fun and the whole model is progressing nicely.
Can't ask for anything more :smiling: :thumb2:
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
You pe work is coming on a treat, you certainly sound as if you're having fun and the whole model is progressing nicely.
Can't ask for anything more :smiling: :thumb2:
Jim
Thanks Jim, must admit that in my youth (many years ago) I was actually trained in how to bend sheet metal (but that did involve all the correct tools!) never thought that I'd have cause to revisit those skills in miniature, still got the 'triangular' reinforcing 'boxes' to do - probably will have to find some sort of corner former to work to - then there's some 'freeform' to hold the spare propeller on - though not sure how to fit the 'band' through the buckle - decided not to use the PE shovel mountings (the plastic moulding looks ok) - then it's the surround for the 'turret' and the final bit for the gunsight. In other words, plenty of opportunity to mess it up! :smiling5: :thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
First coat of paint on - not really worth taking any photos, started to try getting a start on the figures that I'm thinking of including with the kit - one that I'm thinking of is from the Zvezda M72 motorcycle kit (seems to be a really involved kit, that - 4 figures, depending on how you want to portray the outfit)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Been having problems getting bench time just recently, so not much being done, having to get a few minutes here and there so not much progress (also having to bend the PE mounts for the spare propeller, which entails feeding through a buckle - fun!)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The PE you've done looks fine Gerry .
I always find it daunting when you do the first couple , esp when there are small like those . Once that's done with success you'll get a real lift .
I find some are just beyond attempting, and if the kit part is just as good why bother. Sometimes think lots of the smaller pieces of the PE are just done to make the part count high !

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The PE you've done looks fine Gerry .
I always find it daunting when you do the first couple , esp when there are small like those . Once that's done with success you'll get a real lift .
I find some are just beyond attempting, and if the kit part is just as good why bother. Sometimes think lots of the smaller pieces of the PE are just done to make the part count high !
Thanks John, once I master (or get it somewhere near) this bit I'll put a photo, but put the tweezers down (reverse ones) and walked away from it last night!
Thing is, there's no plastic part to substitute for them, unless I scratch one.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Gerry well i think you have done very well on the model an the p/e as ive never seen one of these before well done :thumb2: :cool:
chris b