Gerry's Trumpeter 1/35 Armoured Aerosan

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s looking excellent Gerry. The PE in this instance is adding nicely to the effect.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gerry

Just had a catch-up. That is coming on very nicely.

Well done so far.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Finally managed to get the first one to look something like the illustration in the destructions - it seems to match the requested shape, just hasn't got the curve just before the buckle
IMG_20220227_134808833~2.jpg

The bucket of paint on the right is a Humbrol enamel tin :tongue-out3:
Possibly a little clearer picIMG_20220227_135439327~2.jpg
And finally, got both done (ish! Using two pairs of tweezers and magnifiers) and fixed to the spare prop - second wasn't as bad to work with as the first!
IMG_20220227_144407092~2.jpg
Just got to get the paint onto these - might leave the 'buckles' as brass, as I take it that the straps would be leather.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tried using the magnifier on your images but they were still blur. :smiling6: Really tiny aren't they...just don't sneeze. Good job though Gerry. You don't really need that kink. Maybe try burnishing to create the fold over the buckle once glued onto the prop.

Cheers,
Richard

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice scratch work Gerry great updates too I like the ech work

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Tried using the magnifier on your images but they were still blur. :smiling6: Really tiny aren't they...just don't sneeze. Good job though Gerry. You don't really need that kink. Maybe try burnishing to create the fold over the buckle once glued onto the prop.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, I cheated by folding the etch at the centre of the buckle and at where the buckle joins the strap, so that all I really needed to do was to feed the strap through - I'll try to get some better photos, but can't guarantee!
Well done Gerry. Those pe straps are excellent.
Jim
Thanks Jim, still getting my head round working with PE. Think that I might be getting a lot of practice, as I'm not even halfway through the PE - there's 40 bits just for the skis!
Nice scratch work Gerry great updates too I like the ech work
Thanks Lee, will try to get more time on this, and keep updating.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The easy way to do etched buckles is to bend the short pointy end of the strap back on itself where the buckle would be and feed both long and short ends through at the same time. Then flatten them away from the buckle afterwards and only then wrap it around the object.
Hope that's not patronising? Annealing helps as well
Looking good Gerry
N

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The easy way to do etched buckles is to bend the short pointy end of the strap back on itself where the buckle would be and feed both long and short ends through at the same time. Then flatten them away from the buckle afterwards and only then wrap it around the object.
Hope that's not patronising? Annealing helps as well
Looking good Gerry
N
Neil, I'll take any help with PE that anyone offers - this is the first time that I've tried using it, so I wouldn't class your comment as patronising :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If all else fails send it to Paul Scott Gerry !

Really though you've done really well , putting those through the buckle must have been so frustrating.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
If all else fails send it to Paul Scott Gerry !

Really though you've done really well , putting those through the buckle must have been so frustrating.
Thanks John, at times I have been tempted to just put it all back into the box and pack it off somewhere! Putting the first strap through was daunting, once I'd found the 'easier' way of bending the buckle, wasn't too bad with the second one! Think that I'm slowly getting the hang of this here PE - mind you, still got the really fiddly bits to do!
Superb work Gerry!
Thanks Garry

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Certainly not the 'best' introduction to PE - now started in earnest with it, there's no way that I'd be able to work with this without the magnifiers :surprised:
The sprue
IMG_20220303_095051601~2.jpg
First bit bent into shape (the blade is a Stanley 10-601)
IMG_20220303_095834747~2.jpg
So far, about an eighth of the way through the two sets, and having a break plus coffee! (Plastic bag is one from a LFT - got loads of them!) There's two sets, as they're 'handed' - left and right.
IMG_20220303_101537756~2.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
You're doing a truly great job with the pe. Just take it slowly with plenty of breaks. I find that bad language helps - well no actually it doesn't but by 'eck you'll feel better ;)
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
You're doing a truly great job with the pe. Just take it slowly with plenty of breaks. I find that bad language helps - well no actually it doesn't but by 'eck you'll feel better ;)
Jim
Thanks Jim, think that I must be getting the hang of this section, as I've now got a quarter of the way (10 of 40) through (another break) and the carpet monster is still hungry.
Plan is to get all of this PE done before starting assembly of the skis, then I'll take from the relevant bag as I build.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well, they're done and in the bags along with the 'hooks', just got to remember that parts B1 are in the bag labelled B3, and B4 are with B2 :smiling3: :thumb2: