HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul.....the industry all looks good and the paved area and concrete work are really nice. I am assuming that the proverbial Mt. would go behind the mine, with the tunnel portal on the outside track of the inner loop...........or am I confused? Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is building up nicely isn’t it. Lots to look at. Just out of interest, are you going to paint the rail sides? Looks like you might have already done so on the industrial sidings.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys.
Rick, there will be a double track portal on both sides of the complex which is cut into the proposed masif (mountain or mountains).
Tim, I've used brass track for industrial sidings so they look old & nickel/silver for the runs for reliability. Some of the reclaimed n/s flextrack from previous layouts are painted when I experimented w/AB. There is so much track I probably won't paint it except where it calls out to me. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gets more exciting with each posting Paul. Love it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It will be tight but I think you can handle that Paul.......should provide a nice back drop to the mine area. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've built mountains out of chicken wire & wallpaper paste soaked newspaper, plywood profiles & window screen covered in plaster, and now styrofoam. I don't think this is going to work out. It makes a horrible mess, is not very strong & comes in several sizes of cell, the larger of which doesn't model well. I'll probably use a couple methods as I'll need access to the curve in case of derailments. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Can you access it from the back side or does that have to be closed off for viewing? Also, will the mountain block your view of any rail activity in the back ground?.....I'm sure you have considered your options I'm just trying to "visualize" your concept. You are right about styrofoam......the only way to work it without mess is to "hot knife" sculpt it. Rick H.

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I plan to have two access panels on the back side like you said as my plan was to have like a saddle between two massifs just high enough to contain the tunnel.
The original plan had the control panel between the elevator/industrial area & the MOW/commercial area so the mountain wasn't in the way of any view, but I couldn't reach the back industrial siding then, so moved it to the current location where the mountain will be in the way of viewing the south staging switch in the cut, and the elevator & run-around switches on the ridge. My solution is to find a walk-around controller for the yard work & use the existing controller for the continuous run as I can view the two staging areas from there. I did not foresee using this much styrofoam so didn't invest in a hot knife:smiling:. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on it.......I'm standing by to see how this develops........moggle on. Rick H. :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
COR that mountains comin on Paulie looks great any chance of a top veiw shot looking down onto the layout ?
chris

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys.
Chris, maybe after it's further along I'll drag the ladder out. Right now I'm involved in trying to line the tunnel & still have hand/arm access for derailments. Nothing worse than looking into a tunnel & seeing struts'n'guts. This tunnel is pretty high up so seeing inside is easy. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OK...... Concept is heavily forested plateau with soil to bed rock. There'll be scree down to rock cuts around tunnel portals & to make room for the processing facility.
100_2705.JPG
100_2704.JPGWhat do you think? PaulE

Last edited: