HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI PaulE excuse me but i cant remember why you are doin this cutting up the layout as its a great pity as i was enjoyiing seeing this go togeather or was it just getting too much ?
chris b

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Built it too big. No room to do anything else & if the hot water heater, clothes washer or clothes dryer fail no way to remove/replace them.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, shame it had to go but at least you had the fun of building it.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Shame it had to go, but just remember you had fun with it Paul. To be honest, the bit you have left is bigger than most UK layouts…..it would make a great fiddle yard to terminus set up :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I would love to have that much space for a fiddle yard.....glad you were able to save some of it. :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh to have all that room , mind you said that every workshop I had and still managed to fill them to the brim .
Agree with Tim about the layout size and how it would make a great fiddle yard.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well, it got to me as the electrical is pretty messed up since I cut half of it away. I'm going to turn the corner with this big piece & go along the wall with the other two & a third piece is planned.
The "corner".
100_3944.JPG
The big piece to fill the "corner". It will contain a siding & the brick factory.
100_3943.JPG
These, from the top, are two runaround sidings & the mainline continued from the industrial area.
100_3945.JPG
Unsure where all this will end up. Suggestions welcomed.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thought you'd sold the whole train layout Paul, will be interesting to see how you tackle this . Many here don't have much room to have a complete circuit and run point to point .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good to see this back on the blocks :thumb2:
Point to point is a good arrangement Paul. It’s the go to solution for the UK exhibition circuit model railways, usually called a terminus to fiddle yard layout. In fact, I would say roundy roundys are relatively rare in the UK due to space concerns. There should be loads of inspiration around if you have a look through that world…..the best advice I can give is don’t try to shoehorn in too much. The railway needs room to breath in the baseboard area. There are ways of looking at this rather than building a station. If you are primarily interested in rolling stock, build some sort of marshalling yard (switching yard in your terminology I think?). If your interest is locomotives, build an engine shed. If you are interested in line side industry, build one of those, etc……you are limited in space, so focus the railway you build on the bit that really interests you. No point in wasting space on things that you don’t really get much from. As always, have fun……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Paul I missed this totally but just had a catch up. A really interesting read and then the bombshell of it getting taken down and sold.
A bit like a phoenix now, rising from the ashes. It will be nice to see how this develops.