HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Paul,

Every time I see this, I kick myself in the posterior for selling all of my model RR stuff a few years ago. For clarification, N = 1/160, Z = 1/220 and my collection was TT = 1/120. I purchased all of it in East Berlin in the 80's, basically for dirt cheap prices. A nice diesel 12V DC locomotive ran around $ 2.00 - $ 3.00 with the exchange rate, dollar to east mark. Oh, did I have a mahoosive collection of everything including 20 locos, over 100 pieces of rolling stock, buildings, autos, buses, little people, trees and kms of track, switches and stuff.

I started building a layout twice and got shot down both times. The first in Cali (we moved) and the second here in Bamberg when my youngest was born (lost the 3rd bedroom).

For some reason, I think S was around 1/64 scale IIRC. This is what I have kept as it's a special edition from 1987 and Berlin's 750th Birthday,

IMG_1993.JPG

The ruler is in centimeters and the train is a Prussian passenger train,

IMG_1994.JPG

Prost
Allen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Afternoon Paul,

Every time I see this, I kick myself in the posterior for selling all of my model RR stuff a few years ago. For clarification, N = 1/160, Z = 1/220 and my collection was TT = 1/120. I purchased all of it in East Berlin in the 80's, basically for dirt cheap prices. A nice diesel 12V DC locomotive ran around $ 2.00 - $ 3.00 with the exchange rate, dollar to east mark. Oh, did I have a mahoosive collection of everything including 20 locos, over 100 pieces of rolling stock, buildings, autos, buses, little people, trees and kms of track, switches and stuff.

I started building a layout twice and got shot down both times. The first in Cali (we moved) and the second here in Bamberg when my youngest was born (lost the 3rd bedroom).

For some reason, I think S was around 1/64 scale IIRC. This is what I have kept as it's a special edition from 1987 and Berlin's 750th Birthday,

View attachment 372273

The ruler is in centimeters and the train is a Prussian passenger train,

View attachment 372274

Prost
Allen
COR Allen thats a little bueaty but that's worth a lot of money now

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the clarification Allen. Forgot about Z & confused the rest. I was O scale in my youth & HO when I resumed model railroading in CA during the 70s. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What a great thread this is Paul, model railways have that certain something about them. Sold my sets to a friend who along with his father were collectors of 00 and O gauge, clock work !
Unfortunately they are both passed now so it was probably all sold .:crying:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
One of the reasons for the resurrection is I couldn't find anyone who wanted it & I couldn't just throw it all away after so much effort. Once the decision was made, it just carried me away.:smiling4: PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
One of the reasons for the resurrection is I couldn't find anyone who wanted it & I couldn't just throw it all away after so much effort. Once the decision was made, it just carried me away.:smiling4: PaulE
HI PaulE VERY VERY WELL DONE on being able to just pick this up again an carry on an get back into the swing of doin this model railway (as its a sometimes oh you look at the model an think oh I cant be bothered anymore ) as that's what happened to my model railway so I adviertized it in the paper an a chap turned up in a merc an he kept tryin to knock me down on the price an I said to him now you are not a dealer are you. An he said oh no I want it for my sons r/w so I let him have it quite cheap as id just had enough of it with that ole Hornby zero 1 computer layout as it never really worked proper an I spent more time tryin to get the trains to run than I did usein it a big dissappiontment to me as id spent a lot of money on it but back to that chap who bought it well anyway he bought most of the r/w stuff exscept the big metal wrenn exspress trains x3 as they smoked an I thought id sell them separate an I thought oh well at least his son can enjoy it all. Anyway a few months later I went to a toy an train fair in Norwich an jen says to me look who on that stall sellin railway stuff yea you geusted it that bloomin chap was was a dealer an he was sellin all my r/w stuff I was angry I can tell you an I treid to ask him what was goin on but he just kept blankin me an talkin an sellin to others. So PaulE AT LEAST that dint happen to you but it goes to show that it does
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Progress pics. Adding concrete dead end street & building details before weathering in. I have a brick factory & tanker load/unload platform/piping kit but can't seem to find room for them. Maybe do the tanker kit & save the brick factory for a dio?
100_2054.JPG
100_2053.JPG
Any thoughts? PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
PaulE is the brick factory shown here that long building ? an cant you fit it a bit further up the layout ?
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The brick factory is set in the corner per the plan shown in this thread. The tank farm was there in earlier plans so either will fit. The long building is part of an engine rebuilding complex that needs to be on a spur so may fit either spot. The kicker is, until I place the yard module I'm uncertain how the corner will shape up, so I won't glue the stuff to the left of the yard road until I decide on the corner. Thanks for bringing this all to my attention. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI PaulE your layout is comin on great an that engine rebuildin complex looks great with all the detail of ductin pipes on the walls really sets the layout off have you to fit a grain or rubble conveyer belt goin into a silo any where at all as I think its dapol makes a good kit of one with twin silo's an a conveyer belt an on my r/w I made mine work dumpin ballast into the silo's an it was great fun watchin the auto drop trucks drop the ballast into the conver belt then up to the silo's (WHEN THE TRAINS WORKED THAT IS) as I would have thought you would have great big one on a u/s layout ? but following your work as im enjoyin seein a r/w takin shape
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys.
Chris, on page two of this thread there's a picture of a nearly completed grain elevator load/unload complex planned for the west wall of the layout. There is also a nearly completed coal mine/car loading complex for the east peninsula still in storage, so plenty more to come. PaulE

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
What year are you doing Paul if I missed it? I still have my HO layout as well I switch it up now and the when I do modem I run my favorite railroad CSX I model them after the stealth years all gray maybe I can get some pics of it soon

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pics of Norfolk Southern & CSX locos. The two of the shells are still WsIP as they are dummys being wired into two loco consists.
100_2060.JPG
100_2059.JPG
PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
....or maybe 80s? I don't remember zactly. These are old Athern locos being superdetailed by me. Had'm for ages. PaulE
This is lookin great PaulE IM REALLY ENJOYIN THIS but will later on ask you to exsplain some of the things about the locos till later
chris