HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Is it too much to hope for a live video feed sequence once you begin operations? Rick H.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I would like to see it too, but it's a long way off. I have to complete the industrial module & troubleshoot the short before I can do anymore benchwork/trackage because it will be hard to reach after it's in place and its' finish height will determine the West 1&2 modules' upper level height. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some progress pics. Waiting for road to dry, I started ballasting, not as easy as I remember.
100_2039.JPG
Last coat on road. Added some concrete parking pads & guardrails.
100_2040.JPG
100_2041.JPG
PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI PaulE lookin good on the track ballastin I use to paint with a brush over the rail sleepers with pva then pour on the ballast then when its dry a day or so later then go over all what id done with a small hover to suck up any loose ballast an then emty the bag an reuse it along another section of track so that way there is no waste but what you are doin is lookin great an thanks for the close up shots its nice to see what you are doin spot on
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow Paul, this is looking good.
Certainly a labour of love to rework all this. The latest photos :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wont you have a white centre line on the rd ? or in'nt it done an its really comin on I like to see all the ralway line strechin off into the distance with the six line's great stuff
chris

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul, you might have mentioned before , but what scale is this ?
Here in the UK we have OO and N gauge, well as far as I know:smiling:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John, John, John, 1/87 of course. What else? That is HO gauge/scale in the US. HO gauge is 1/72 scale in the UK I think. There is also O gauge which, I think is 1/48 scale. OO gauge relates to the track gauge I think. Don't know the scale. S scale is between O & HO and no longer popular anywhere I'm aware of. N is 1/144 scale I think. There is also TT (teeny tiny), once popular in Europe. This exhausts my thoughts on the subject;). PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha, should have realised that Paul .:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling3::nerd:
No doubt Paul someone will come along and put the English sizes right. I was a teenager when I had my Hornby 00, in those far off days it was 3 rail !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL when I was buyin bits for my railway they had HO an OO written on the packs as I don't think there is a lot of diffence in the sizes an PaulE how do you get on ballastin the points as when I done mine it was a job as the points movin rails kept getting clogged up with ballast even though I had sucked off loose ballast with the mini hover an are your points electrified ? an do you get much wear on the points frog ? as my Hornby points frog wore down quite quick ?
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris, all my turnouts are Atlas w/some over 40yrs old w/no appreciable wear. Most of the wear on my trackage is from brightboy cleaning. I recently upgraded most of my rolling stock to metal wheelsets so this may change. I think my ballasting process is opposite from yours. I distribute the ballast first, dressing it in detail w/small makeup brushes before adding the PVA/water/alcohol/dishwashing liquid mixture to it, carefully keeping the movable parts clear of both. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, all my turnouts are Atlas w/some over 40yrs old w/no appreciable wear. Most of the wear on my trackage is from brightboy cleaning. I recently upgraded most of my rolling stock to metal wheelsets so this may change. I think my ballasting process is opposite from yours. I distribute the ballast first, dressing it in detail w/small makeup brushes before adding the PVA/water/alcohol/dishwashing liquid mixture to it, carefully keeping the movable parts clear of both. PaulE
AH well I dint think of that pity I cant roll the clock back 40 yrs so you could tell me as you are right I was doin it wrong oh gawrd well better to lern my mistakes at somtime than never at all aaaaaarrrgggggg an your turn out are what we call points then ?
CHRIS

Reactions: JR