HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI PaulE ITS lookin great this mountain as all the foam is fitting good but this is just my opinion its looking hard work cant you just cover the rail line up for the moment an remove when mountain built an use PLATSER OF PARIS over wire netting i think its called as thats what i used on my mountain on my r/r tunnel an it was easy to just lay it out an then just brush on a little water an voilay it streches to the shape you want an goes hard an weighs very little but as i said this is just my opinion but what you are doin still looks great all the same an i hope you dont take offence at my post
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice progress Paul. Keep tinkering, you’ll get there!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys.
Chris, I've used that method before & found it difficult to plant trees so went this way as I've used it before successfully though much more level ground. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL PaulE it looks ok to me just want some bits filling over as thats where the plaster of paris would be handy it would be just tack a a 4inch wide strip at the top an pull it down over the holes an wet it an bobs you uncle done but that just how i would do it
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There are quite a few ways to do rock faces, but chicken wire isn’t one I’d choose Chris. It’s great for rolling hills, but does have the definition for cliffs. Carved pollyfiller/spackle is effective when used over polystyrene as Rick is doing.
This is coming on Rick, I just think you need to emphasise the shelves a little more.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
There are quite a few ways to do rock faces, but chicken wire isn’t one I’d choose Chris. It’s great for rolling hills, but does have the definition for cliffs. Carved pollyfiller/spackle is effective when used over polystyrene as Rick is doing.
This is coming on Rick, I just think you need to emphasise the shelves a little more.

HI Tim no i dont mean chicken wire now at this stage of PaulE 'S Build i mean you can buy plaster of paris thats like a 4inch wide bandage an all thats got to be done is just lay it on to cover over the holes an lighty brush some water on it an it sets hard easyiest way in my opinion
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

AN Tim this is PaulE 'S build not ricks think you got a bit mixed up there an Tim no need to aploagise we all make mistakes all best to you
chris

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I blame autocorrect for changing Rock to Rick, and then me not concentrating afterwards.....sorry Paul, total cock up all round! :flushed:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think this is going to look the Bomb once you get the gardening done and the scree scattered around Paul, Glad you toughed it out. :thumb2:
Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
COR PaulE THAT rock face looks sheer will you have some mountain climber goin up it when done as a sheer rock face like that is sure to attarct them or is it the side of the layout ? an PaulE I KEEP on looking at this build an thinking about the long thin building that goes into the rock face now is this inside a convyer belt in there an are they takin rock from the mountain down to the factory to drop it all crushed up into the rail trucks for track ballast ?
chris

Last edited:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Paul,
This is looking fantastic and reminds me of some of the sheer wall mountain faces around railroad tracks and highways where I grew up in western Pennsylvania. You are doing a great job of replicating them. This is really turning out well. keep up the great work and looking forward to more progress

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gentlemen.
Chris, yes it contains conveyor belts, water & electrical for the mine operations.
Joe, are you an Erie boy? I'm from Bflo. where the RRs were sunken in cuts about 40' down to avoid viaducts & crossings. The Ice Age scraped most of the soil away so vertical bedrock cuts were the norm. I imagine it was the same for western PA.
PaulE

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Paul,
I`ve managed to miss this until now,but have just had a very enjoyable catch up:thumb2:,
This really is some amazing work,not to mention a great lesson in perseverance !!
A cracking project which is promising to be something very special...... Top stuff mate:cool:!
Andy

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Andy. I didn't meet my goal to run trains by Christmas, but operations have always prevented me finishing previous layout efforts, so I'm trying to concentrate on scenery this time. PaulE