Intro

S

Siara

Hi guys!

Ive been pointed in the direction of this forum by my friend Savvy.

I just thought i will show You all the thing ive been working on since october last year.

Theres more pics and full story at: U-552

Hope Youll like her, and please be kind.

Siara

S

Savvy

Hi Siara,

It's good to see you here at Scale Models.

What a job you have done on the railings, I tried and gave up, it just was'nt going to happen! I've used the Revell railings which have been thinned down to a more scale like thickness.

Have you had a look at Glenn Buckners build? Well worth a look for the rigging alone!

Sav.

S

Siara

Thanks for the invite Sav!

This forum is great, pitty i didnt know about it earlier.

Im having general look around to familiarise myself with the layout of the forum, and for sure some stuff is impressive.

S

Siara

Couple of wires made from 0,1mm wire.

Holes for wintergarten drilled.

Now im planing to paint the insides of the CT, before i glue top part to the bottom in order to connect the railings.

TBC...

M

Mankster

This is really impressive detailing, cant wait to see the completed model.

S

Siara

Thanks Mankster!

I came upon the stumbling block here. Dougie Martindale was kind to show me that picture:

...and im having problem interpreting it. Can someone help me out with some more shots of it, perhaps some drawings please?

Thanks in advance.

S

Siara

I made the box best i could, and i rounded the top of airstacks to replicate early boat:

TBC...

S

Siara

Box fixed to the CT. Added some cables. Inside of the CT is ready for painting.

CDN...

S

Savvy

\ said:
Inside of the CT primed- Tamiya Fine Gray for sides and floor, White for scopes:

TBC...
Hello mate,

Your attention to detail is amazing, just finding reference for some of the details you have here is hard enough let alone making it all at this small scale! Put this in a show and a Gold medal is surley yours!

All the best,

Sav.

S

Siara

\ said:
Hello mate,Your attention to detail is amazing, just finding reference for some of the details you have here is hard enough let alone making it all at this small scale! Put this in a show and a Gold medal is surley yours!

All the best,

Sav.
Humble thank you!

Today i scratched the timbers with sandpaper grit 80 to depict the woodgrain and wear:

Than i sprayed at low pressure revell black at 1/8 wih humbroll enamel thinner all the lower surfacess:

Tbc...

S

Siara

Kitchen salt applied in place of intended chiped paint:

First coat of WEM IJN Kure Gray. I used this paint instead of planned Schiffsbodenfarbe III, because it saved me mixing it with lighter colors to get it right to scale, and the Kure Gray still has desired green tinge anyway:

Second coat. Here you can see the scratches on timber showing nicely like wood grain:

I sprayed the scopes, and hatch lid aswell:

TBC...

S

Siara

3 and 4 coat of paint applied, adding Helgrau 50, and Baltic Gray and some varnish.

Then the salt was removed:

Tomorrow wash and touchups.

B

BobbyRay

Siara - Just been to your U552 site. Your work is jaw-dropping, especially when you illustrate your detailing components alongside the head of a match. Wow!

How long have you been modelling to get to this standard? And how many hours do you reckon you'll take to complete U552?

S

Siara

\ said:
Siara - Just been to your U552 site. Your work is jaw-dropping, especially when you illustrate your detailing components alongside the head of a match. Wow!How long have you been modelling to get to this standard? And how many hours do you reckon you'll take to complete U552?
Thanks BobbyRay!

I never counted the hours ive spent on the build, but i think it will be close to 400.

I started last year in october, and been working on it on, and off couple of hours a day.

The gloss varnish was applied, followed by dark wash, and drybrush of base colour.

Once proper dry ill polish the surface, add some chips, and rusty streaks, and some paint discoloration, and seal the lot with combination of X21 and X22. The finish will be satin.

TBC...

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm depressed now, I was quite happy with my Revel U-boat until I saw these pictures.

Fantasitc detail and a superb job on the tower. I'm not sure I want to see much more though or I'm going to feel even worse!!

S

Siara

\ said:
I'm depressed now, I was quite happy with my Revel U-boat until I saw these pictures.Fantasitc detail and a superb job on the tower. I'm not sure I want to see much more though or I'm going to feel even worse!!
Thank You! Now im depressed too. I finished painting the CT, had the good, long look at it, and washed the lot of. It turned too dark for my liking, and the weathering made it look even darker. The WEM enamels proved hard work.

I will start anew using Tamiya acrylics.:goodidea:

S

Savvy

Tamiya acrylics is a good way to go mate.

This will mean that you can apply white spirit washes without having to worry about the paint. Also means that you don't have to apply a varnish coat before weathering, so, yes, good idea!

Sav.

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Thank You! Now im depressed too. I finished painting the CT, had the good, long look at it, and washed the lot of. It turned too dark for my liking, and the weathering made it look even darker. The WEM enamels proved hard work.I will start anew using Tamiya acrylics.:goodidea:
Hi Siara, you have done a beautiful job and welcome aboard, I would have posted sooner but I've been on my back for the last ten days Glenn