It`s only a 223

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not sure if historical accuracy is your aim, but you do know that’s a Polish bunker, right? :smiling3: Could be occupied by German troops in 1944 to try and repel the Russians, of course.
HA!! Is it Jakko?!!:flushed:...
I had no idea,as the boxart says it`s a "Number 3" MG Bunker..... portraying German pics!!:anguished:....
.... Me being me,i took that as Gospel!!:tears-of-joy:
Nevermind,being,quite often,a "What if" builder,i`ll just plod on with my original idea.....and hope no-one notices....
.... if you don`t tell,i won`t ;) !!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well... I sure ain`t no great figure painter.....
HOWEVER even i could see these heads weren`t quite right:thinking:.... so,as i wanted it to look a little like the two MG chaps were sharing a little bit of Banter ,i swapped them for a couple of Hornet heads from the stash:thumb2:.... Here are the comparisons ......
IMG20220417165101.jpg

..,.,., and in situ......
IMG20220417173336.jpg

IMG20220417173406.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the pics.... but hopefully you see what i mean!
Cheers,
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like they should paint up nicely Andy. Great improvement over the plastic heads as well.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Tim,
I have to admit that I prefer Hornet heads over most of the usually supplied fare.... Whichever make they may be....
..... Although there are occasionally the odd exceptions :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had no idea,as the boxart says it`s a "Number 3" MG Bunker..... portraying German pics!!:anguished:....
I must admit it’s confusing box art, because the soldier looks German at first sight. I also had to zoom in on the photo to realise it’s meant to be a Polish soldier. Would have been a lot better if Mirage had called it a “Polish Bunker” or something on the box.

The secret is safe with me :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HA!! Is it Jakko?!!:flushed:...
.... Me being me,i took that as Gospel!!:tears-of-joy:
Nevermind,being,quite often,a "What if" builder,i`ll just plod on with my original idea.....and hope no-one notices....
Andy

To be honest I had no I idea that bunkers came in different national styles, so I was none the wiser!!!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As Jakko said earlier, it is a minute point, as we are all certain that this type of bunker was occupied by all nationalities involved in this conflict, most probably the Russians as well as Poles and Germans.........model on and don't sweat the small stuff!:tongue-out2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm just wondering if the German administration ministry had allocated designs specially for the different parts of their campaign or did they copy designs from the different countries they occupied? Production would have been a headache just like their tanks.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be honest I had no I idea that bunkers came in different national styles
It’s the same as with all military technology: everyone develops their own, partly because of differing demands and partly to keep the capabilities secret from (potential or actual) enemies. The Germans had the most extensive bunker design and construction program, followed by the French, but most other European countries before and even during the war built bunkers of various designs as well.

I'm just wondering if the German administration ministry had allocated designs specially for the different parts of their campaign or did they copy designs from the different countries they occupied?
No, the Germans built their own designs but not those of other countries. They did, though, take over fortifications in occupied countries, of course — often enhancing them with more German bunkers if needed. A good example is the Kornwerderzand complex, which was constructed in the 1930s to defend the eastern end of the Afsluitdijk, as that was essentially the back door into North Holland. This is the only place in Europe where the German advance in May 1940 was stopped, and apparently, the defenders were quite surprised when they were told to lay down their weapons because they didn‘t know that most of the rest of the country had been overrun. Anyway, all the Germans did after taking over was construct three additional bunkers in 1943, of standard German design, but seem to have considered the defences perfectly adequate otherwise.

Production would have been a headache just like their tanks.
It was a headache anyway :smiling3: Most German bunkers were constructed by a combination of local workmen and forced labour, controlled by the Organization Todt, and used little machinery but a lot of manpower. Because German industry couldn’t keep up with the demand for things like armoured plates, doors and turrets, eventually the Germans ended up stripping these from the Westwall (the line of defences built in the 1930s in southwestern Germany, opposite the Maginot Line) and even then, you got things like:

DSCF0036.JPG

This is where an armoured door should have gone, but it appears none was available before October 1944 — when reaching this particular bunker with building materials became impossible — so it remains as rebar sticking out of a concrete wall almost 80 years on. (Well, I took that photo about 20 years ago, and I haven’t visited this bunker in years despite it being under ten minutes’ walk away, but I have no doubt it’s still like that now. )

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It’s the same as with all military technology: everyone develops their own, partly because of differing demands and partly to keep the capabilities secret from (potential or actual) enemies. The Germans had the most extensive bunker design and construction program, followed by the French, but most other European countries before and even during the war built bunkers of various designs as well.

No, the Germans built their own designs but not those of other countries. They did, though, take over fortifications in occupied countries, of course — often enhancing them with more German bunkers if needed. A good example is the Kornwerderzand complex, which was constructed in the 1930s to defend the eastern end of the Afsluitdijk, as that was essentially the back door into North Holland. This is the only place in Europe where the German advance in May 1940 was stopped, and apparently, the defenders were quite surprised when they were told to lay down their weapons because they didn‘t know that most of the rest of the country had been overrun. Anyway, all the Germans did after taking over was construct three additional bunkers in 1943, of standard German design, but seem to have considered the defences perfectly adequate otherwise.

It was a headache anyway :smiling3: Most German bunkers were constructed by a combination of local workmen and forced labour, controlled by the Organization Todt, and used little machinery but a lot of manpower. Because German industry couldn’t keep up with the demand for things like armoured plates, doors and turrets, eventually the Germans ended up stripping these from the Westwall (the line of defences built in the 1930s in southwestern Germany, opposite the Maginot Line) and even then, you got things like:

View attachment 451272

This is where an armoured door should have gone, but it appears none was available before October 1944 — when reaching this particular bunker with building materials became impossible — so it remains as rebar sticking out of a concrete wall almost 80 years on. (Well, I took that photo about 20 years ago, and I haven’t visited this bunker in years despite it being under ten minutes’ walk away, but I have no doubt it’s still like that now. )
Jakko,Rick and Richard.....
.... thanks for all of your input re "Bunkergate" chaps.... some may think that type of info is "Geeky news",and therefore of no interest,but i must admit to liking it all now!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then you wonderful people,(And you John:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:)..... an update for me to put on here....
I put on the Turret,a little weathering,some wheels,decals.... and probably some other stuff that ive forgotthen about:dizzy:
IMG20220423182846.jpg
IMG20220423182831.jpg
IMG20220423182810.jpg
IMG20220423182800.jpg
Now obviously this is just current "Warts an` all" pics,and there`s much work to sort out and continue with:thumb2:,here are the figures cleaned up some more,and in primer....
IMG20220423184323.jpg
Finally,for now, i wanted to put a flag draped across the bonnet,i`ve had these for a little while now,they`re printed,sticky backed type things,so may not work out,but what the hell,i DO like the look of em..... so i`ll see what kind of get out of them...........
IMG20220423183313.jpg.... That`s it for now,thanks,as always for looking in,
Andy:thumb2: