John's 1/72 Matchbox Mosquito Build.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking the part now John.

Ah but you're already an expert at them so what's that they say - "A change is as good as a rest"
Thank you Jim, yes quite right, not as easy as it looks with these wingy things, but good to stretch the skill set.

Well it looks like a Mosquito to me John :smiling3:
Started mine this week....planes sure are frustrating at times !!
I like your aircrew sat in there by the way,they do look good :smiling3:
Looking forward to your next update.
Andy

Thanks Andy, hope Cohan is enjoying this weather, is he out and about or in his enclosure.

Love to Rach.

It's definitely a Mossie John!! And so what if one wheel is bit wonky!!

It's good to see you having a go at something different!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew, can't think how the wheel got twisted as when I built those up I stood them the other way up so there was no weight on the struts. At least it should be unnoticeable when its finished, in the mud !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just looks like the right hand part of the left hand wheel leg (from the pilots perspective) has sprung from its mounting. It’s not the whole leg out of place because the aircraft is level on the wheels.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI J/R that mossie is a nice build well done but lookin forward to seein the crashed dio will there be fire an smoke ? which you are so fond of ?
chrisb mtb

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just looks like the right hand part of the left hand wheel leg (from the pilots perspective) has sprung from its mounting. It’s not the whole leg out of place because the aircraft is level on the wheels.
I've not looked at it closely Tim, I'll check that later .:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI J/R that mossie is a nice build well done but lookin forward to seein the crashed dio will there be fire an smoke ? which you are so fond of ?
chrisb mtb
Unfortunately for me Chris and fortunately for the crew no there will be no fire and or smoke. I'm going to show the model as per a photo.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh BOO HOO.......no smoke or fire??? what self-respecting airplane would crash without smoke and fire?? I think you need to review the script JR..........MATRON!!! you are wanted on ward six bed two immediately!!....... :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :smiling5:;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Oh BOO HOO.......no smoke or fire??? what self-respecting airplane would crash without smoke and fire?? I think you need to review the script JR..........MATRON!!! you are wanted on ward six bed two immediately!!....... :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :smiling5:;)
:thinking:YES i think you are right there Rick i think J/R has lost the plot as he dont need to do it per photo we want to see it goin up in FIRE an smoke as thats what he's good at :thinking:YES WOT happening A J/R DIO an NO FIRE OR SMOKE just dose'nt seem right YES GET MATRON ONTO HIM QUICK :rolling: :cold-sweat::face-with-head-bandage::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think there is enough fire about at the moment Rick ;)

:thinking:YES i think you are right there Rick i think J/R has lost the plot as he dont need to do it per photo we want to see it goin up in FIRE an smoke as thats what he's good at :thinking:YES WOT happening A J/R DIO an NO FIRE OR SMOKE just dose'nt seem right YES GET MATRON ONTO HIM QUICK :rolling: :cold-sweat::face-with-head-bandage::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:
Chris no need to panic, these things do happen . In fact due to Matron's insistence on taking my meds I have no thoughts of fire and a Dio. Look at the French street , it's a place of tranquility.

There is always another Dio !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stop Press .
The left hand wheel is now repaired, thanks to Tim for his suggestion as to why .Spot on .
To save time as the reglued section dried I used a blob of CA and a quick spray of accelerator and all is well .
Back to the fashion house of figures !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Question for all the wingy experts.
Cab't remember for the life of me how to use that MX Black putty , that's the first question.
Second I've the AK 3rd gen pain set consisting of RAF ocean greyAK11840 ,RAF medium sea grey AK 11843, RAF dark green AK11840 and lastly RAF skyAK11844, I know the green goes on top , but what about the rest.

Help on this will be appreciated .
Thanks John.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cab't remember for the life of me how to use that MX Black putty , that's the first question.
Second I've the AK 3rd gen pain set consisting of RAF ocean greyAK11840 ,RAF medium sea grey AK 11843, RAF dark green AK11840 and lastly RAF skyAK11844, I know the green goes on top , but what about the rest.

Thanks John.
Hi John

It depends and I'm not an expert but if you're doing a later war option I think you can ditch sky..... In fact I may have read somewhere that they never had Sky applied but I may have got that completely wrong.

Bombers, as yours appears to be from the box art, I've seen with both black and grey undersides....

I've got/seen a general description somewhere....will try to find it. Accepting of course you always get the odd outlier.....

No doubt a wingy expert will be able to give you a proper answer.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John

Not sure if you've seen this but some background info on your Mossie.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi John

Just found some pics of it and other info on the below link and elsewhere.....apparently ocean grey, medium sea grey and green on top.

You can clearly see the lighter grey undersides and the green over a darker grey.

HTH.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John

It depends and I'm not an expert but if you're doing a later war option I think you can ditch sky..... In fact I may have read somewhere that they never had Sky applied but I may have got that completely wrong.

Bombers, as yours appears to be from the box art, I've seen with both black and grey undersides....

I've got/seen a general description somewhere....will try to find it. Accepting of course you always get the odd outlier.....

No doubt a wingy expert will be able to give you a proper answer.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I do have two photos of the downed plane, nice to see one of it not damaged ! Got to find my box some where ! for the camo pattern.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Unfortunately for me Chris and fortunately for the crew no there will be no fire and or smoke. I'm going to show the model as per a photo.
No Fire..No Smoke.... !!! Please tell me you're going to be throwing some 4BO at this before you've finished john..

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No Fire..No Smoke.... !!! Please tell me you're going to be throwing some 4BO at this before you've finished john..
No Chris , unfortunately not . It was in RAF camo with the exception of Russian Stars .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well look at this. It's Matchbox, and a mosquito - double brilliant.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Thanks John.
PM sent.

• Love