John's 1/72 Matchbox Mosquito Build.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Many thanks Ian.

Following Ian pm I was able to find out which colours went where, I knew the green went on top before members of the Rabble shout out!

2022.jpg
and the under side.

2022_2.jpg

Any one know how long I should leave the upper side before applying the MX Putty. My thoughts were at least 2 days.

Thanks for looking in.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed John.

As for the putty I've never used that brand but even with masking tape I've never had problems after 24 hours, so 48 should be fine.

I do have another brand of masking putty and it adheres well, it's not at all sticky and grippy and has never given hint it will pull the paint off.

HTH.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use white tac on Vallejo the day after, sometimes the same day without problems.
Masking tape I (nearly) always wait til the next day :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Assuming MX putty is like panzer putty/science putty and is used for camouflage masking, I’d leave the paint overnight to properly harden John. It doesn’t stick as such. It just moulds to the surface. Once you’ve got it on, keep and eye on it if you don’t spray straight away. It can flow and change the shape of the masked area.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Assuming MX putty is like panzer putty/science putty and is used for camouflage masking, I’d leave the paint overnight to properly harden John. It doesn’t stick as such. It just moulds to the surface. Once you’ve got it on, keep and eye on it if you don’t spray straight away. It can flow and change the shape of the masked area.
Said so much better than me!! :smiling5:

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

As for the putty I've never used that brand but even with masking tape I've never had problems after 24 hours, so 48 should be fine.

I do have another brand of masking putty and it adheres well, it's not at all sticky and grippy and has never given hint it will pull the paint off.

HTH.

Andrew
Andrew ,

HTH.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew.
It’s looking nice JR, 48 should be plenty
Cheers Mick, will do.

I use white tac on Vallejo the day after, sometimes the same day without problems.
Masking tape I (nearly) always wait til the next day :smiling3:
Right Ian , thanks
It is Tim , think they call it Panzer Putty too .
I've used it before but seems years ago now.
Once on I'll spray straight away.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good John, a nice smooth paint job. That Panzer Putty is strange stuff. It does slowly flow and level out so the advice to paint soon after putting on the putty is sound.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John, a nice smooth paint job. That Panzer Putty is strange stuff. It does slowly flow and level out so the advice to paint soon after putting on the putty is sound.
Thanks Jim, that top side coat looked far too thick when I put it on, but since it's dried it seems to flattened out .
Yes decided that on the day I would use it I would spray right away.
Seeing Time posts has confirmed the quick use !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It actually drips if you leave it…..
View attachment 463153
How long was that Tim, looks rather frightening !
I remember the last time I put it away covered in German camo colours I was sure they would never be absorbed . Took the top off the other day and it was a shinny black, a bit like the lagoon :smiling3::smiling3:
Not going to be left to give it any time to drip like that I can assure you .:smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
How long was that Tim, looks rather frightening !
I remember the last time I put it away covered in German camo colours I was sure they would never be absorbed . Took the top off the other day and it was a shinny black, a bit like the lagoon :smiling3::smiling3:
Not going to be left to give it any time to drip like that I can assure you .:smiling:
Overnight I think John. Nothing to worry about. It just stays fluid and comes off really easily with no residue.
I found it very easy to handle, if slightly strange. It feels greasy but isn’t…….putting it on as a thin layer seems best, pretty much as thin as possible. If you get it too thin and make holes you can easily patch it by adding a bit more. Once it’s on you can refine the pattern by pushing it around in the surface.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Overnight I think John. Nothing to worry about. It just stays fluid and comes off really easily with no residue.
I found it very easy to handle, if slightly strange. It feels greasy but isn’t…….putting it on as a thin layer seems best, pretty much as thin as possible. If you get it too thin and make holes you can easily patch it by adding a bit more. Once it’s on you can refine the pattern by pushing it around in the surface.
Thanks Tim .

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just caught up on this John,
Looking rather nice there :smiling3:
Now you're getting to the fun stage,..... camo and decal time soon :smiling3:
I'm a stage behind you,only sprayed the underside colour,so watching your progress with interest :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just caught up on this John,
Looking rather nice there :smiling3:
Now you're getting to the fun stage,..... camo and decal time soon :smiling3:
I'm a stage behind you,only sprayed the underside colour,so watching your progress with interest :smiling3:
Oh don't look at mine Andy, I keep thinking 4 BO would-be ok, in fact had it been taken into service I think the might well have resprayed it .