Karls Tamiya 1/48 RAF Mustang III (P-51-B)

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Karls RAF Journey. Pt2.

So Spitfire finished, Pt1 here, learnt not to use Humbrol, stuck it on it's base and it's now in the wee lads room.

Next up a Mustang, these Tamiya kits fall together so the build will be quick. One downside though is the Malcom hood cannot be displayed open, yet the original American spec hood can be. The Malcom hood was insisted on by the RAF as it improved visibility where as the USAF didn't want the small loss of performance, even if it meant pilots having to push their heads against the hoods for combat and even take off and landings. Though when you look at later marks it becomes obvious that the Americans did see the benefits of the bubbles after all.
I may get a vac form canopy so I can display the hood slid back.
IMG_20221008_121504.jpg
This kit was actually bought of eBay and arrived with an unusable decal sheet, so a new set of decals was sourced, all Polish pilots, though strictly speaking the PAF retained it's independance it did fight under RAF command, some 14 thousand personel forming 15 squadrons. To assist integration technical manuals had been translated and English lesson also provided. By all accounts they fought extremely well and even the ground crews maintained a very high level of aircraft servicability, so this is my small nod of appreciation.
IMG_20221008_121529.jpg

I picked up the Eduard prepainted cockpit set, but the colours do seem a bit off here, the interiors seem to be chromate yellow, not the usual green and in my small bit of research I've found nothing to support this. (And looking on Eduards website the set appears green and the belts more vibrant, maybe some UV bleaching has happened.) And a mask set too, though this doesn't cover the malcom hood that will be easy enough to deal with.
IMG_20221008_121616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Aargh!
Popped to the shed to make a start and I've packed my glasses away and they're in the car. (Going away and need the glasses as I'm hoping to finish my wargames ACW infantry.)
So started knocking up a base to display this on.
Was thinking a section of a type 2 roundel on a dark earth/dark green back ground.
This one probably won't be the one as I've cut the frisk on the plasticard and left scores, and I don't have any marking blue paint.....
But it's something before bed as I'm up at 0330......
IMG_20221009_210803.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
What scale/make are the ACW infantry? I’d be interested in seeing them……
They're Perry's 28mm, at the start of covid 6 of us pledged to do a big lockdown project and we agreed to buy the Perry's starter set and paint it up.
Of course it didn't stop there......
I've painted mine as Union using Citadel Contrast paints for speed. And only having a passing interest in the period it's all generic standards and all plastic.
This is the 3 regiments Brigade commander and artillery piece we agreed on to make a start.
IMG_20210625_214227.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job. They have painted up well Karl. Are they based for fire and fury?
Not used the contrast paints myself yet….how do they handle?

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Nice job. They have painted up well Karl. Are they based for fire and fury?
Not used the contrast paints myself yet….how do they handle?
Black Powder, quite nice to play as a large group.
Contrast are actually pretty good, though I was initially disappointed with the red on my British Redcoats, going to experiment on a larger figure at some point.
Vallejo have something similar coming soon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Black Powder, quite nice to play as a large group.
Contrast are actually pretty good, though I was initially disappointed with the red on my British Redcoats, going to experiment on a larger figure at some point.
Vallejo have something similar coming soon.
Army painter have a similar range as well. I suppose at some point I’m going to have to try them ;) What undercoat did you use under the red? I know it’s a transparent colour so I was wondering if red oxide might be better?

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Army painter have a similar range as well. I suppose at some point I’m going to have to try them ;) What undercoat did you use under the red? I know it’s a transparent colour so I was wondering if red oxide might be better?
I used the grey seer by GW, though allegedly Vallejo works too.
Got the hang of the red now, jus put more on and push it about.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Committee were very impressed in those "little fellas" Karl, and have awarded you
download THE DOGS.jpg

Congratulations.

Nice choice for the Polish version for the Mustang build, a very brave group of airman indeed.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The Committee were very impressed in those "little fellas" Karl, and have awarded you
View attachment 464844

Congratulations.

Nice choice for the Polish version for the Mustang build, a very brave group of airman indeed.
Woohoo, on receipt of this prestigious award I would just like to thank those above me looking down and those below me looking up.......

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Got home yesterday just in time to get my flu jab and another covid booster, that's four microchips I have now......
So feeling a bit rubbish today but managed an hour tonight scraping away the detail on the fuselage interior to take the etch set and assembling the IP.
I initially thought that this kit was basically a straight clone of the slightly earlier p-51d with replaced fuselage halves, but no, the detail is actually better, there is some on the cockpit floor and some other bits are better defined, but it still falls together.
IMG_20221015_220740.jpg

IMG_20221015_212932.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good Karl nice choice of model and decals. I like using that brand

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That control panel is superb Karl .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I really wish I could claim credit, but this pre-painted etch feels like cheating.
(Though I will be adding some "glass".)
I just think of it as using metal decals Karl……..excellent IP, by the way….

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No, it's definitely cheating......just like not free painting markings and stencilling.......
Yeah,I know what you mean.....
...... It's a fine line I guess.
I've often thought the same re pre painted etch stuff and the ready coloured resin complete control panels...... Although, funnily enough,not so much when it comes to applying decals?!!..... Strange !

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Yeah,I know what you mean.....
...... It's a fine line I guess.
I've often thought the same re pre painted etch stuff and the ready coloured resin complete control panels...... Although, funnily enough,not so much when it comes to applying decals?!!..... Strange !
My biggest issue is it's like Hornet heads, everyone uses them, or did for a while. I'm just waiting for heat shrink wraps to save painting.....