Karls Tamiya 1/48 RAF Mustang III (P-51-B)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice kit and a great start. Those pre-painted instruments do look good.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Worth rereading Rick’s comment on the first page of Ian’s build thread in this GB Karl.….he gives first hand experience of using interior zinc green…..

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Just a small update tonight, having an issue with my vision in my left eye so finding things a bit of a strain. Working from home this week so hopefully can get an opticians appointment before going away for another two weeks.

Solved the interior detail on the cockpit floor being absent in the d, Merlin powered Mustangs have fuselages that are 4" deeper to accommodate the bigger engine, so the cockpit floor was sheeted in wood to raise it up, the earlier Allison powered birds actually had the top of the wing form the cockpit floor, hence the rivet detail in the kit.

Primed the interior bits and pushed some Kristal Clear into the dials on the IP, still have to paint the grey plastic bits black.
Now going to open a beer.
(Or have a whiskey, or maybe even both.....)
IMG_20221022_202308.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you get the eye sorted Karl .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't take any chances Karl, my retina detachment was so quick I was lucky to save the eye , even so it's still badly scared.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Can't take any chances Karl, my retina detachment was so quick I was lucky to save the eye , even so it's still badly scared.
Had a friend go through it, but it was caught early enough so he ended up fine. He described it as "looking at wall paper with a tear in it". Has stuck with me as something to be very aware of.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Karl, that instrument panel is a ting 'o beauty. I was looking back on your build and noticed you had been researching interior colors for your build. Here's a snap of a Stress Panel Repair I worked on for a P2 Neptune. If you look closely you will see at least four different shades of Zinc Chromate. Not surprising as most of these birds were built in the late 40's early to mid 50's. As you can see there are some pretty distinct differences in the colors........I wouldn't lose any sleep over which shade to use, they all work the same. Hope this helps. ;) neptune aviation and friends 009.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Karl, that instrument panel is a ting 'o beauty. I was looking back on your build and noticed you had been researching interior colors for your build. Here's a snap of a Stress Panel Repair I worked on for a P2 Neptune. If you look closely you will see at least four different shades of Zinc Chromate. Not surprising as most of these birds were built in the late 40's early to mid 50's. As you can see there are some pretty distinct differences in the colors........I wouldn't lose any sleep over which shade to use, they all work the same. Hope this helps. ;) View attachment 465818
I know zinc chromate isn't actually a colour but a treatment, so does vary a lot. Should of seen the hate I got for that on a FB page.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Karl

The build is coming on very nicely indeed. More importantly I hope you get your eye sorted out ok.

ATB.

Andrew

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Repeat after me….scale colour is a myth……and so is accurate colour matching batch to batch before the mid 1980’s…..
I'm well entrenched in the, "Looks right." camp. There's been times I've bought a paint and thought, "I could of used what I had." too.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Just a few bits to hit with the hairy sticks, radiators, battery and restraints to attach and I can zip this closed, though I was going away tomorrow morning for 2 full weeks but it's been put off until Tuesday so should get a good bit done this weekend.
Think my subtle pin was may be a bit too subtle......
IMG_20221027_191139.jpg
IMG_20221027_191156.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just a few bits to hit with the hairy sticks, radiators, battery and restraints to attach and I can zip this closed, though I was going away tomorrow morning for 2 full weeks but it's been put off until Tuesday so should get a good bit done this weekend.
Think my subtle pin was may be a bit too subtle......
View attachment 466048
View attachment 466049
That's some SERIOUSLY good looking details in there Karl :smiling3:
Lovely stuff mate.
Andy