Lee Drennen’s Hobby Farm & Garden

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking great.
My father had jersey cattle when I was born, apparently they were really gentle and he'd put me as a toddler on their backs so that I'd ride them (can't remember!) He kept goats up to his death - 20+ milkers and all milked by hand twice a day.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking great.
My father had jersey cattle when I was born, apparently they were really gentle and he'd put me as a toddler on their backs so that I'd ride them (can't remember!) He kept goats up to his death - 20+ milkers and all milked by hand twice a day.
Gerry sorry for the late reply. When my oldest Daughter was little I did the same thing give her rides on Half Pints back.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
First snow of the year on the Hobby Farm we got about a inch very cold too the high was 18 degrees today. The Winter Wheat is peeking through the snow still doing good.
885D43A3-F78A-4B87-B0D8-67CB7F021EC2.jpeg43B0F3B4-46E3-4DD4-8074-36BBC5F082CD.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Question,......what is the end game for the winter wheat, will it be fodder or do you intend to use it for human consumption?

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Question,......what is the end game for the winter wheat, will it be fodder or do you intend to use it for human consumption?
I’m trying to make my field better and it’s a cover crop for the winter. In the spring I will mow it down hoping it has choked out the bad grasses I’ve did this before with great results here a pic of my barn lot after I did this method but it doesn’t always work 40FCD5AC-5F63-44E5-A6FF-7BAC8583372D.jpeg

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
First snow of the year on the Hobby Farm we got about a inch very cold too the high was 18 degrees today. The Winter Wheat is peeking through the snow still doing good.
View attachment 442160View attachment 442161
As you say very cold (18 is about -7 Centigrade if my off the cuff maths are working) mind you, better than our often wet and miserable days - rain and just above freezing!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lee
That's pretty cold if Gerry's maths is right. We have had no snow so far all though other parts of the UK have. Hope the winter wheat plan works.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Lee
That's pretty cold if Gerry's maths is right. We have had no snow so far all though other parts of the UK have. Hope the winter wheat plan works.
Jim
Jim, I just checked my maths on a Google Fahrenheit to Centigrade converter, I was out - it's actually -7.778 centigrade (always assuming that Lee is using the American standard of Fahrenheit;))

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim, I just checked my maths on a Google Fahrenheit to Centigrade converter, I was out - it's actually -7.778 centigrade (always assuming that Lee is using the American standard of Fahrenheit;))
Yes Gerry you are right I’m using American table for the Temperature. That’s just pretty cold where I live woke up to 3 degrees this morning.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee
Jim
Jim. I have no idea what table he is using but I know it’s colder here than than normal temperature here. I’m hoping I can pull this Winter Wheat trick off if not guess I’ll have to go to my last resort and use man made fertilizers which I really don’t like doing.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You do have a nice looking place there Lee. Are you in a very review location or close enough to civilisation?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good luck with the crop Lee, I'm sure it will work for you .

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You do have a nice looking place there Lee. Are you in a very review location or close enough to civilisation?
Andrew I have neighbors big far apart from me I live about 5-6 miles from the closest town but the school my Daughters go to is about 2 miles. I absolutely love it here very piece full

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good luck with the crop Lee, I'm sure it will work for you .
Thanks John. I know I said I was done with the gardening this year but I’ll already getting the itch to start Transplanting my Tomatoes.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Graeme. The low this morning was 3 degrees it’s cold
Brrrr! - We've just got rain here, even though the ground is sandy (summer and nothing will grow due to not being able to keep any moisture in it!) it's getting puddles on it.
Andrew I have neighbors big far apart from me I live about 5-6 miles from the closest town but the school my Daughters go to is about 2 miles. I absolutely love it here very piece full
Sounds an ideal distance, close enough but not too far for emergencies.
Thanks John. I know I said I was done with the gardening this year but I’ll already getting the itch to start Transplanting my Tomatoes.
Take it that the tomatoes are indoors heated somewhere?

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Not much action on the Hobby Farm these days just the same stuff Feed and Water the Chickens and gathering eggs. Sunday I started the Allis Chalmers up and hooked up the blade for this major Snow Storm we’re going to have Tomorrow. I’ll get some pics later of plowing out if we get the Snow there calling for. C81C382C-5713-4A0B-A5D1-68DCE6B75A2F.jpeg