Lee Drennen’s Hobby Farm & Garden

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee
A beautiful place and a beautiful time of year. When we lived in Scotland the red deer came down from the hills in winter looking for food. On a couple of occasions they came down the road and in through the front gate.
Jim
Thanks Jim. We never had so many deer here in 25 years I’ve been here it’s very peaceful to watch them. I bet it was a beautiful site for you too

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Healthy looking bunch of little "clucks" there Lee!;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good looking brood Lee. Love baby chuckles like that. We always get ours full sized as ex battery hens and let them free range around the garden most days. Mind you, they don’t look this good when we first get them!
D78A7448-544E-43D3-8D2A-68AE26764227.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They do don’t they Jim. The big girl, second from the right, was virtually bald when we got her. She looked very like a plucked oven ready bird on legs. Unfortunately ex bats don’t really live that long because battery life basically eggs them to death. She died a few weeks ago, but had a great life with us for her last eighteen months. Great way to keep the garden pests down as well.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good looking brood Lee. Love baby chuckles like that. We always get ours full sized as ex battery hens and let them free range around the garden most days. Mind you, they don’t look this good when we first get them!
View attachment 451398
Nice looking lady there Tim great pic of them

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
We had ex-battery hens. They do look sorry little souls when you first get them but it's amazing how quickly they blossom given free range conditions.
Jim
I’ve never had any like that always raised my own from babies or hatch them. Jim I’m going to try free range this year using a Chicken Tractor I’m working on. I’ll post pics of it later.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Here’s some pics of the Chicken Tractor I’m working on. The Winter Wheat is really growing good. E2DA52CC-E19C-47EF-8CEB-FFECBAB0F74B.jpegAF019B1D-38CA-4DDE-BC55-477245754EF1.jpeg6FBEF23A-DF9C-4FE2-804E-42EFE23F179F.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
They do don’t they Jim. The big girl, second from the right, was virtually bald when we got her. She looked very like a plucked oven ready bird on legs. Unfortunately ex bats don’t really live that long because battery life basically eggs them to death. She died a few weeks ago, but had a great life with us for her last eighteen months. Great way to keep the garden pests down as well.
That's a lovely way for them to end a like of hell Tim, good for you and Jim .

Excuse us please Lee.
thank you for the name of the tree. Just checked it out on Wiki.
Pyrus calleryana, or the Callery pear, is a species of pear tree native to China and Vietnam,[2] in the family Rosaceae. It is most commonly known for its cultivar 'Bradford', widely planted throughout the United States and increasingly regarded as an invasive species.[2]

Something you learn each day while on this forum !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Certainly is John. Very early on we decided we weren’t going to simply keep hens. We wanted to open the “Longfield home for retired gentle chickens……”. We’ve no regrets whatever. They are great fun and we don’t care if we get eggs or not.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That's a lovely way for them to end a like of hell Tim, good for you and Jim .

Excuse us please Lee.
thank you for the name of the tree. Just checked it out on Wiki.
Pyrus calleryana, or the Callery pear, is a species of pear tree native to China and Vietnam,[2] in the family Rosaceae. It is most commonly known for its cultivar 'Bradford', widely planted throughout the United States and increasingly regarded as an invasive species.[2]

Something you learn each day while on this forum !
Thanks for the leg work John I never knew that. Yes you learn something all the one here that why I like this forum so much. The Dogwoods are blooming now around here I’ll get you a pic of one

Reactions: JR

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Certainly is John. Very early on we decided we weren’t going to simply keep hens. We wanted to open the “Longfield home for retired gentle chickens……”. We’ve no regrets whatever. They are great fun and we don’t care if we get eggs or not.
That’s great you do that Tim. That’s the way I feel about my Chickens I’ll keep some way pass there egg laying period just because I like having them around. There still useful keeping the ticks and chiggers down.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Great to see another year starting on your 'patch' Lee. I enjoy watching this progress each season.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great to see another year starting on your 'patch' Lee. I enjoy watching this progress each season.
Thanks for the complement Alan. I have a few plans this year if I can pull them off.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I finally got the Garden in after about 2 months working on it on and off. This years is. It very big. We’ve had lots of rain the last couple days and storms been keeping a close eye on it I maybe replanting some stuff. Here’s some pics of it over the last months E873149F-DABB-41E1-A490-985366A403A6.jpeg4A509AE8-D6BD-474E-8D05-47143DD910C7.jpeg1D9A35D9-C4DA-40B6-B71B-84362ED75D82.jpegCA5F31B5-32FA-41F6-ABC8-F3B1A0AA26A6.jpegF928CD37-9F79-4B5C-A43D-9088ADA29687.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good on you Lee......just think, if things keep on the way they are........this could become a way of life for us all.

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That looks really nice Lee! It also looks like a lot of hard work too. Are those Tomatoes you have going in there? What else are you going plant?

Prost
Allen