Lee Drennen’s Hobby Farm & Garden

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That looks really nice Lee! It also looks like a lot of hard work too. Are those Tomatoes you have going in there? What else are you going plant?

Prost
Allen
Yes it’s kinda hard work but not like it used to be I had a lot bigger garden years ago now this is about my limit. I have a row of the following. Tomatoes, Zucchini squash, and Cucumbers. Off to the side there I have Spinach, Lettuce and Onions. This will keep me busy enough glad you dropped in and had a look I’ll be posting more updates later.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lee
Nothing beats fresh vegetables from the garden especially tomatoes. Most tomatoes we can buy look fine, all the same size and a lovely red, but they are tasteless. Now we don't grow anything of our own we get all our fruit and veg from a man on the market. He really cares and sources the best but still not quite like home grown. That's a fine crop of winter wheat. Hope it stays dry for the cutting.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
but still not quite like home grown.

Aint that the truth. Got my french bean, runner bean, pea, parsnip, beetroot, sprouts and carrots growing very nicely at the moment. Also taken two croppings from my rhubarb so far. Very tasty indeed.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Lee.
Like the idea of the rotavator, such a time and back saver . Used to have one in the garden at the workshop . Don't need or have the room here at home .
Keep us updated please.

Z

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim. Yes there’s nothing like picking your on Tomatoes and Veggies. Since I don’t put out a big garden any more we buy a lot from Amish Farms about 30 miles from here there stuff is very good and all home made. I’m hoping

Alan. My oldest Brother always raises Rhubarb in his Garden I never liked it.

John. Yes that Tiller helps out a lot I’ve had it for years. I would be lost without.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Like the idea of the rotavator, such a time and back saver .

I don't dig my veggie patch/raised beds. I use a no-dig system which is championed by Charles Dowding (famous author and youtuber). Get some cracking results from it. Plus it saves my back :smiling3:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I don't dig my veggie patch/raised beds. I use a no-dig system which is championed by Charles Dowding (famous author and youtuber). Get some cracking results from it. Plus it saves my back :smiling3:
Allen could we see some pics of your Garden sounds interesting.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on this thread. Life is starting to slow down and get in the groove of the new life I have now. Today we hatched out our first chick since February 2021. This chick had a hard time hatching so I’m hoping it makes it. I have more time now on the Hobby Farm with my new Jobs so I’ll start posting more when I can. I have Big plans for the farm this year hope I can get them into play I know I feel a lot better than I did a year ago I think because I have no more stress. 9305D2F4-3C87-4166-85D0-EB08F97BB257.jpeg308B64CA-D937-40D2-813B-6EE478BC3318.jpeg83E80CD7-ED7A-4FC1-A1EA-1F64447B46CC.jpeg1EFDD080-F3B6-4432-BB9D-1F3679FBC983.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good from this angle......been thinking about chickens since the price of eggs has been steadily on the increase with no end in sight. Gonna free range 'em if we pull the trigger on it, I don't trust the Feed Cos. to produce a healthy "chemical" free food for them....still much to consider.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I don't trust the Feed Cos. to produce a healthy "chemical" free food for them....
Well I trust the “Feed” considering that I’m working at a feed mill now and I mix the feed and know what the Recipe is using all natural ingredients. My chickens have been laying more eggs and are more Healthier since I’ve switched to using this Recipe at the Feed mill. We also make at the Feed Mill our own Hen Scratch which is all natural grain and I add Sunflowers to mine to make there feathers shine and adds a little protein my chickens love it. I really don’t like free range too risky around here.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Prolly can't get that feed here in MT.....have heard some negative reports on commercial feeds, particularly some big names in the industry, so will steer clear. Gonna compost as well and I know the birds will love it as the ones we had when I was a youngster would spend all day scratching up my Dad's compost pile.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great to see the new Chuckle Lee. We only have five, but they are going on well for ex battery lasses. Probably about four years old now. One of them is just starting to get the hunched look they get as they start to decline, so probably doesn’t have long left :sleeping2:
Always use commercial feed ourselves, supplemented with oyster grit, sunflower seeds, mealworms, cheap supermarket lettuce, and warm porridge on really cold days. Not getting many eggs at the moment, but that’s a combination of Winter and old age I think. We have them for fun, not commercial gain, so don’t really care.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Lee and looking forward to seeing what you get up to on the farm this year!

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Lee why have the eggs got crosses on them what they rejects ?
chrisb