Lee's P-51 Mustang GB. The chat thread.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First well done Lee for getting the suggestion past the starting place.

If we need reminding the GB is to build any Mark of the Mustang P51 in any scale from any nation. You have three months the first of sept through to the 30th november.
The kit must be new unbuilt (as per the usual rule).
So far the list of participants is as follows.
Lee (Group leader)
RickH
PaulE
Andy
Nick
Steve (Airborne01)
Ian (papa 695)
Dave W.
Geoff.
Ian M
If you wish to join in Just jump in and start a thread. No need to ask.
As per the norm You can start your build thread as soon as you like and post the box art and the sprue photos and any extra aftermarket you wish to throw at it. (or not).
BUT no building to commence befor the start date.

Most of all have fun.
Right I'm off to find a mustang kit.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well I was a little worried this was going to get off the ground but it did. Thanks for all who joined. In case anyone has missed the new build dates they are September-November. I will get some pics later on what P-51 I’m going to build.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's what I'm going with......I was thinking of doing the "Red Tails"......need to look at some pics and see if I can replicate the paint scheme on these tiny birds.P1012219.JPG

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice choice Rick. I’m sure you can pull it off.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I thought about building a 1/72 scale one but my heart strings keep tugging towards a old Monogram 1/48. So I think that’s what it will be. If I get it done I might still build a 1/72.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well here’s the one I chose. I had this once when I was around 10 years old but not this box it was the newer one I still have the decals from that kit. The kit is from 1966 it was a Sleezbay purchase the Propeller has been built and that all. I have some aftermarket decals on the way. I will post them when they get here. EEF3769F-1CBC-4E15-A8F5-196A36B4C05D.jpeg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Rick, Walthers is a name I haven't heard from in years, Like AHM too. They look tiny and should be a good test for your nerves Buddy. Are you sure Paul is up to it after his eggbeater build???............

That is an oldie Lee and a beauty too. The name on the plane is the same name as an off shoot firm from AFV Club and they released limited edition kits of 1/35 scale military models, usually with resin extras included..............Strange!!!.............

I'll have to pass on this one as I'm in 2 other GBs and my finish rate is horrible to say the least. You guys have fun and I'll be around to keep y'all on your toes when it starts......

Prost
Allen

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That is an oldie Lee and a beauty too
Thanks Allen. I was going to go with a 1/72 Academy but I really enjoy building these old Monogram Kits. That’s ok I’ll be following you along your other GB maybe on the next one I start some day.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow Rick, Walthers is a name I haven't heard from in years, Like AHM too. They look tiny and should be a good test for your nerves Buddy. Are you sure Paul is up to it after his eggbeater build???............

That is an oldie Lee and a beauty too. The name on the plane is the same name as an off shoot firm from AFV Club and they released limited edition kits of 1/35 scale military models, usually with resin extras included..............Strange!!!.............

I'll have to pass on this one as I'm in 2 other GBs and my finish rate is horrible to say the least. You guys have fun and I'll be around to keep y'all on your toes when it starts......

Prost
Allen
Yeah Allen, Walthers is still around and going strong.....Associated Hobby Manufacturers died in the late eighties or early nineties..... another one bites the dust.:angry:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick I took a close look at the options on your Mustangs and I seen the “Missouri Armada” I was going to buy these decals in 1/72 scale but changed my mind but I may get them anyway the Aircraft looks good on the box art. Are there a lot of piece’s to one Aircraft?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee, No, it's not a complicated kit.........about 30 pieces or so on only 2 sprues, not counting the bubble canopy. It has recessed panel lines.........never built one of these so it will also be a first timer for me.. The decals were special made for Walthers by Microscale I also have the extra sheet that was produced as an accessory so you could also do the "Old Crow", Moonbeam Mc Swine" and "Texas Jessie/Big Mike" versions as well.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Prolly why. Wolf Gal was also hot, as was Stupefyin Jones. There was an American Indian female character whose name escapes me. Frank Frazetta did the strip for a bit, very well done.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I did not know about Frazetta's involvement........musta been after I quit following the strip. Did a Wikipedia search and came up with Princess Minihahaskirt. Also there were a few others as well........Minnie Moustache, Raving Dove, Little Turkey Wing and Princess Two Feathers. ;)

Last edited: