Lee's P-51 Mustang GB. The chat thread.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Until I looked this up I had no idea what you lot were blathering on about. Now I have, I still don’t :tongue-out3: Only thing that clicks is that the Beverly Hillbillies were loosely formatted around this and that Lil Abner is the prototype of Jethro Bodine…….

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Found this in the stash:

IMGP4217.JPG

IMGP4218.JPG

IMGP4219.JPG

So unless I do summat stoopid - like sell it to clear some space on my stash shelves - I'll have a go at this GB.

Hope the box picture is OK. I'm sure Bonnie is only trying to help!

PS Bonnie wasn't hiding among the stash. She came in from her regular evening razz around the neighbourhood just as I was having a look at the kit!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Mark, Gern Thanks for joining in be looking forward to your builds

Ian. Wow that’s going to be one big P-51. Thanks for sharing

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love this Ian , brings back good memories. This was my first 1/24 kit as a kid ( in the older blue nosed boxing ) and i loved it . Had it hanging from my bedroom ceiling with cotton and drawing pins , bang above my head like the sword of damocles !! It would have killed me if it had fallen , dont know how those drawing pins got such a grip !!? Twelve year old me reports no fit issues at all ( but those days we just stuck em together and painted em , never even heard of filler or getting rid of seams :smiling5: )

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is what I got coming,hopefully I can make a good job of it.View attachment 458354
Nice one mark , I recently got the Weekend edition of this kit and can honestly say its one of the most thoughtfully designed and superbly tooled kits Ive ever seen . The quality of Eduards moulding nowadays is on a par with the best and the detail supplied surpasses Tamiya etc in my opinion. The price is round about £20 for the weekend edition so an absolute bargain too for what you get . Cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now be ready for this , I'm going to enter with a Airfix " Top Gun Maverick model .1/72
Yes you may think I've been converted but a neighbour kindly gave this to me last year for storing his late father's car on part of our drive .Didn't think I would ever built this, but seeing this group build , well what a chance !
Whish me luck, so far I can't find any tracks in the kit so that's a good thing. Off to see if the Russians ever had any ?

They did indeed .
ag348russia.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Now be ready for this , I'm going to enter with a Airfix " Top Gun Maverick model .1/72
Yes you may think I've been converted but a neighbour kindly gave this to me last year for storing his late father's car on part of our drive .Didn't think I would ever built this, but seeing this group build , well what a chance !
Whish me luck, so far I can't find any tracks in the kit so that's a good thing. Off to see if the Russians ever had any ?

They did indeed .
View attachment 458355
But not the p51d mark which is what you have john . The soviets only received a handful of mk1s ( as in the pic above ) and they never saw combat , only being used for evaluation and training. An alternative is the little known use of the p51d by the communist chinese airforce see here https://plane-encyclopedia.com/cold-war/north-american-p-51-mustang-in-communist-chinese-service/ . A very unusual rarely seen modelled option . Im sure that between all us wingies we could scrape together some chinese decals for you comrade

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Nice one mark , I recently got the Weekend edition of this kit and can honestly say its one of the most thoughtfully designed and superbly tooled kits Ive ever seen . The quality of Eduards moulding nowadays is on a par with the best and the detail supplied surpasses Tamiya etc in my opinion. The price is round about £20 for the weekend edition so an absolute bargain too for what you get . Cheers tony
I've only built one eduard kit so far but was impressed enough to order a few more for the stash they do seem to to be very good quality and sensibly priced

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
But not the p51d mark which is what you have john . The soviets only received a handful of mk1s ( as in the pic above ) and they never saw combat , only being used for evaluation and training. An alternative is the little known use of the p51d by the communist chinese airforce see here https://plane-encyclopedia.com/cold-war/north-american-p-51-mustang-in-communist-chinese-service/ . A very unusual rarely seen modelled option . Im sure that between all us wingies we could scrape together some chinese decals for you comrade
Yes Tony I realised this after seeing the Russian version, thanks for the information on the Chinese version. A shame about the Russian one so will built it as it is !!!