Lee's P-51 Mustang GB. The chat thread.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Sorry Lee after initially putting my name down to take part I’m going to withdraw.
I still have a couple of ongoing projects on the bench and at my glacial build speed I won’t finish them in time to give a new build proper attention.

Good luck with the GB :thumb2:

Geoff.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sorry Lee after initially putting my name down to take part I’m going to withdraw.
I still have a couple of ongoing projects on the bench and at my glacial build speed I won’t finish them in time to give a new build proper attention.

Good luck with the GB :thumb2:

Geoff.
I totally understand good luck

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I don't know Crazy Man, but that bird, in my eyes, looks like it was used to herd Zebras in the Serengeti in Africa. Does look like you'll have a bunch of fun with it though.......

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bit of a strange aside, but I also thought of this…..
I read about it a few years ago and thought it so weird the memory stuck….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't want to kick the wasps nest or anything but trying to find clarity about the colours or lack of for an RAF P51 is a minefield!
Dooleybird is bad enough but just generally if you ask a question regarding the general use of Zinc Oxide and the areas treated, five different places you are going to get seven different replies!
On the Dooleybird one reliable source says that the edgeband to the nose's dark Olive Green and canopy framing was Medium Blue A claim supported by Dooley himself and described in a book together with a (B&W) photo provided by Dooley.
Others from 19 sqdn have said it was Yellow 100% !!!
The Blue and white check band behind the spinner was only added after the war as was underwing serials... So thats another point of confusion.
A US text on the finishing of a P51 States that the cockpit was Green. The wheel bays and other not visible surfaces, natural metal and only the main spar painted yellow chromate!
As attractive as the Dooleybird is, I am fast considering grabbing the camouflage paints..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If there is so little clarity, can you really get it wrong Ian? I’d go with your “best guess” based on reading and instinct and stop stressing…..

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I don't want to kick the wasps nest or anything but trying to find clarity about the colours or lack of for an RAF P51 is a minefield!
Dooleybird is bad enough but just generally if you ask a question regarding the general use of Zinc Oxide and the areas treated, five different places you are going to get seven different replies!
On the Dooleybird one reliable source says that the edgeband to the nose's dark Olive Green and canopy framing was Medium Blue A claim supported by Dooley himself and described in a book together with a (B&W) photo provided by Dooley.
Others from 19 sqdn have said it was Yellow 100% !!!
The Blue and white check band behind the spinner was only added after the war as was underwing serials... So thats another point of confusion.
A US text on the finishing of a P51 States that the cockpit was Green. The wheel bays and other not visible surfaces, natural metal and only the main spar painted yellow chromate!
As attractive as the Dooleybird is, I am fast considering grabbing the camouflage paints..
I briefly looked into this and thought, life's too short. I'm going OOB with my build, hoping that Airfix did at least some research on the subject of their kit.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I briefly looked into this and thought, life's too short.
Pretty much where I have landed. I might do the stipe under the cowl and canopy blue though.
Started to do some Alclad II today.... Started with a whole bottle of Polished Alu. Filled the airbrush and promptly knocked the bottle over. Now down to under half a bottle. Hope its enough to di the fuselage with!!! Grr.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I feel your pain. Spilling paint is one thing, but Alclad !
yup. and its not easy to get over here any more. had two places I could buy it. One has dropped it the other is in the process. "when its gone its gone"! kind a thing.