Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, the artificial kind I guess. I suck at the real green stuff and leave that to SWMBO.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, I was watching an old war movie Operation Bikini and realised why many jungle dioramas look like they do. These guys have been following what they see on TV which are Hollywood sets with all kinds of tropical fauna available from the trailer rentals and plonked within the camera lens frame. Therefore you will see large leaves of the rubber plant cultivated for indoor mixed with palm and bamboo also miniaturised for indoor amongst the vegetation. Lots of loose sphagnum moss is strewn on the ground and to cover the pots I guess...some are already half dead. And of course you hear the Kookaburra in the background. Seriously if they want to copy jungle just watch The Pacific or The Thin Red Line.
First of all some of the plants mentioned don't grow together in the same place. You will have more creepers, vines and kunai grass on hilly slopes. Palms near rivers and banana trees in open ground. Tall canopy is usually quite bare in between the ground and leaves but will be festooned with parasite plants like staghorn and birds nest ferns, creepers, jungle money plants and hanging vines.
I was at Daiso(Japanese pound store) and found this to add the the scene...
20221230_012103.jpg
It will be recolored to fit in. I'm also making more bamboo trunks for fallen pieces across the stream.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, monkey heads have now been paired with their respective bodies so there should be some progress coming up later...

20230113_233841.jpg
I've adjusted some of the armatures, shorten body lengths for some then its adding bulk to arms and legs.
Watch out for this space...

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting thoughts on jungle foliage. No doubt your model will be more accurate than the Hollywood version.
Monkeys are great. Another first for you. I've never see a whole troop of monkeys sculpted ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Interesting thoughts on jungle foliage. No doubt your model will be more accurate than the Hollywood version.
Monkeys are great. Another first for you. I've never see a whole troop of monkeys sculpted ;)
Thanks Jim, I hope so. On monkeys...this is the time I wish I could draw and 3D print them. Very time consuming and daunting at every step to get the anatomy right.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, Rick and Allen, real hard monkey business. Spent half a day just puttying and strengthening the armatures. Did manage to add the baby to the mummy...
20230115_010301.jpg20230115_010307.jpg
...and got the arms wrapped behind too...
20230115_010352.jpg
The rest of some of the bunch or troop of monkeys...
20230115_010822.jpg20230115_010800.jpg20230115_010738.jpg
This is the pointer...
20230115_010702.jpg
This was done before but added the characteristic hunch of the small primate.
20230115_010613.jpg

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, the monkeys are starting to do the YMCA dance. We've got Pointers, Superman and Travolta.
Still building up bulk and just added tails. Made some corrections to the mummy's right leg and feet position and changed some hands to sculpted in situ ones. Macaques have very cute small fingers...shook hands with one that was a pet mascot at an army camp once.
20230123_220702.jpg
Figuring how to dilute the putty so I can sculpt fir texture.
The three in front are still in their armatures with two just up to waist as they would be waist deep in the brush.

Cheers,
Wabble

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Fantastic stuff Richard!
Figuring how to dilute the putty so I can sculpt fir texture.
What putty are you using ,Richard? looks like A&B to me? it doesn't really dilute like clay does unfortunately . If you can get Green Stuff it might be easier(but I have a feeling you said you can't get it in Malaysia). Or use something like gesso or Mod Podge or artist's texture medium? Or dissolved sprue?
hope this helps
You migh even find that just using a thick acrylic paint will be enough at this scale- you don't want them to look like Yetis!
looking forward to it
N

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic stuff Richard!

What putty are you using ,Richard? looks like A&B to me? it doesn't really dilute like clay does unfortunately . If you can get Green Stuff it might be easier(but I have a feeling you said you can't get it in Malaysia). Or use something like gesso or Mod Podge or artist's texture medium? Or dissolved sprue?
hope this helps
You migh even find that just using a thick acrylic paint will be enough at this scale- you don't want them to look like Yetis!
looking forward to it
N
Thanks Neil, great ideas for the fir coating. Yes, over coating would make them look like they were wearing mink coats or sloths. I thought of Mr Dissolve putty or primer and then stroked with a stiff bristled brush in keeping with scale.

Cheers,
Wabble

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just had a good read through this one Richard, some very outstanding work going on, really liking the monkeys. I know I'm two years late but I've just pulled up my chair. Got my hand fan, some water and salt tablets ready or the Jungle heat.