Meanwhile, somewhere in Europe

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Getting the 'ground supports' in - only corrugated cardboard, but should hold the 'ground' (no matter what I put on it) though looking at it, might have to use a different base material, as it's starting to bend across the corrugations! Never had that problem with this stuff! :angry: Hope that I can sort it - otherwise it'll mean having to try and cut straight lines with wood - and I've never had much luck with that!!!!
IMG_20210406_193814182.jpg
IMG_20210406_193801565.jpg
IMG_20210406_193744410.jpg
Have a load of this cardboard, got it when I was delivering some Chinese mopeds to a shop and thought that "it would be useful" - it has been used for loads of things, from target backboards to sending a heavy tool through the post!

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice! those rock formations are very sedimentary looking.....should be easy to work with. :thinking: Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Nice! those rock formations are very sedimentary looking.....should be easy to work with. :thinking: Rick H.
Not too hard, considering ;) will have to crumble a bit that I've got sat here for the talus areas at the foot of each area. Looking at the mountain in the background, that's sedimentary rock (actually 'syn-Grenvillian deposits' according to a geological map of the area:upside:), so at least they 'fit' in, rather than use igneous style rock.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Perfect....you have it together in the "Rock" world. Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Perfect....you have it together in the "Rock" world. Rick H.
I knew that it was a 'sandstone' in the area, but had to use Google to get the type - so not that clever! ;)
Just had to 'find' a suitable source for the rocks, short walk and "That might work!"

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Needing a bit of advice, not 'urgent' but something that crossed my mind while doing a bit more 'leveling' - what's the 'normal' way of holding figures in dios? Would it be a peg/pin that's attached to the figure & pushed into the base, glue them in place or stand them & hope?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I hav3 used a pin in the heel/leg that fits into a hole in the landscape. Only done this at 1/72 for railway modelling though, not with larger figures at 1/35....

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I hav3 used a pin in the heel/leg that fits into a hole in the landscape. Only done this at 1/72 for railway modelling though, not with larger figures at 1/35....
Thanks, just wanted to be able to plan ahead a little.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Same here but in 1-87 scale.......works like a dream and if you want to reposition the figure /s you only have a tiny hole to fill :thumb2: Rick H.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I always use a pin in the heel.
If you still have problems with the base board bending,try adding another layer with the corrugations in the cross wise direction.
HTH
N

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I always use a pin in the heel.
If you still have problems with the base board bending,try adding another layer with the corrugations in the cross wise direction.
HTH
N
Thanks Neil, think that I've sorted the 'bending' out - clamped flat and glued in some 'landscape' leveling spars at 90 degrees to the bend - keeps the base to half an inch thick (rather than an inch) also, any slight 'lift' will be hidden by the surround/edging ;)
Can see that I'm going to have to raid the wifes sewing kit for a few pins :smiling2:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like the base and the photo backing , that's a great idea Gerry. Don't think you need much help if any by the look of things. Most impressive.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Like the base and the photo backing , that's a great idea Gerry. Don't think you need much help if any by the look of things. Most impressive.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Thanks John, at the moment, I'm on 'familiar ground' - it's a bit further along that I'll probably be in difficulties, when the steam and waterfall needs doing ;)

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gerry, I would drill up a figures leg and insert a length of wire (paperclips are perfect) then insert into the base. Easy to reposition the figures if needed.
I have done this successfully with 1/32 (54mm) figures.
John.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry, I would drill up a figures leg and insert a length of wire (paperclips are perfect) then insert into the base. Easy to reposition the figures if needed.
I have done this successfully with 1/32 (54mm) figures.
John.
Thanks John

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
...........will have to crumble a bit that I've got sat here for the talus areas at the foot of each area............
Might have to re-think the 'crumble a bit' - just needed a 'corner' off one of the spare bits, so got out a little saw from the SAK, two cuts - and it hit the solid bit, there's no way that I'm going to be able to 'crumble' more than a small amount off that! I've only gone and picked up a few lumps of oak, and not some of the soft woods that we've got around here! :flushed:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Minor setbacks occur sometimes.....hope you get it sorted, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.
Rick H. :thinking: