Meanwhile, somewhere in Europe

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Minor setbacks occur sometimes.....hope you get it sorted, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.
Rick H. :thinking:
Yes, it's nothing serious, just annoying - I only need to take another walk, and should be able to pick up more than I need for what I need.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
At my age, "they" say exercise is good for you...... :rolling:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
At my age, "they" say exercise is good for you...... :rolling:
Usually during summer, I have plenty of exercise just cutting the lawn (2 miles up and down then round the edges :surprised:) luckily, it's only once a fortnight!

• Wow
Reactions: JR

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
First 'layer' almost done - needs tidying up, might change some areas into rock-faces, as not really happy with the slopes that are appearing (and I might as well use the last bit of oak up!) - top left & middle bottom are the two areas I'm not too happy with.IMG_20210408_191503741.jpg
IMG_20210408_191553440.jpg
Then there's the 'flat area', which will be getting humps, rocks and bumps, plus the stream/waterfall
IMG_20210408_191512828.jpg
IMG_20210408_191528829.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Gerry.

ATB.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Quick shot of 'Hy-Cote' high build car primer - shows up some points, but gives an idea of how it's going to look - will need 'detailing' with different stratas.
IMG_20210409_102558802.jpg
IMG_20210409_102608751.jpg
That wood is excellent at representing the rock :thumb2:
It's a 'blast from the past' can remember many years ago (before shops started selling 'scenery' and only sold the one bag of 'foliage') that bark and wood were used for railway layouts (and living around here - it's free! :thumb2: ;))
Coming on nicely Gerry.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew - though the 'test' is still to come with the 'water feature' - been swotting up on techniques, but the test will come when I try it for the first time (wondering how many will end up in the bin!)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gerry certainly has the look of rocks alright.
1617983644494.png1617983744814.png
Photos for discussion purposes only.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
HOW THE HECK DO I KEEP POWDER FROM BLOWING AWAY:fearful:
Trying to get the 'road' laid, or at least start it, but I've tried to mix with glue and 'paint' it on - just balls up on the brush, tried putting down a layer of glue then sprinkle on top and rolling - just the bottom layer sticks, now trying soaking with hairspray, but not holding my breath! All I want it to do, is to 'hold' until I can soak it with paint (which should hold it afterwards)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Success! At least it's held while I gave it a squirt of primer! :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That is a problem Gerry.
You could try a spray with some water/ washing up liquid ( wet water ) or isopol. Then while wet let the glue flow through it. The washing up /Isopol will break the surface tension and allow the thin pva to work its way. Then add a the dust/ debris with a sieve. The main trouble comes when you want to add just dust, being so fine it turns in like you've found a mud mess. May be a fine low pressure mix of thin paint will work ie Life Color's Dust

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That is a problem Gerry.
You could try a spray with some water/ washing up liquid ( wet water ) or isopol. Then while wet let the glue flow through it. The washing up /Isopol will break the surface tension and allow the thin pva to work its way. Then add a the dust/ debris with a sieve. The main trouble comes when you want to add just dust, being so fine it turns in like you've found a mud mess. May be a fine low pressure mix of thin paint will work ie Life Color's Dust
I seem to have found a way - needs a little bit more up the middle though - just to accentuate it, and the rest of the 'road' laid, bit more work on the walls - then it'll be time for me to see how well I've taken on board how to do water! Keep putting it off!
IMG_20210410_172746373~2.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Gerry.
The only thing I would say about water is SEAL THE BASE AND SIDES WELL :nerd:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Love wood as rock. Very convincing. Keep in mind the road and surrounding area is rock & smaller rocks. Not a lot of soil anywhere.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking good Gerry.
The only thing I would say about water is SEAL THE BASE AND SIDES WELL :nerd:
Other than this 'road' there's just two things that I've never tried, the 'water' and a campfire (with smoke).
Must admit that a few years ago, I'd have done the road with sandpaper/wet'n'dry and just painted that and not bothered about the center 'hump' along the road.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Sod it - just dawned on me how I should have done the blasted road - mixed up the road material with the PVA, and troweled it on!