More Figures for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim. I'm not enamoured of my head painting at the moment, which is part of the problem. Needs a rethink.

The smock is done:

100_4657.JPG100_4658.JPG100_4660.JPG

I'm glad that I chose a plain colour for the smock, as there is a lot of lovely detail that would have been lost under camo (excuses, excuses!). The colour is based on Vallejo German Uniform. I've used this in the past and found it almost indistiguishable from their Field Grey, but this time it had a much greener and warmer hue, so I suspect they have re-mixed it. Whatever the case, it makes a very nice reed green.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Sorry to hear your back is playing up.

You need a note to excuse you from chopping for a week or 2.

The rain will help with that one too!

Wet but warm here.

The head seemed OK?

I guess you could see something we couldn't?

You will have to keep getting up and stretching your back.

Take care

Regards
Steve H

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Not nice to have the old back playing up.Some certain idiot namely me forgot my night time pills for Euro last weekend.I get stinging and pinching pain at back of legs if i sit too long.I love the smock colour.Really has a nice warm hue to it mate,It always amazes me when i look at the plastic and see it transform with your acrylics.Wouldnt it be great if a company came along and did a range of figures different to the norm.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Hi. I do have problems with my back and neck and I have told my wife that lifting and chopping is no good - perhaps she'll be believe me eventually, as it does happen every time. Wet and cold here and not very Spring-like. The head was rubbish, but re-painted now and looking a bit better - pics later.

Richard - I'm always terrified of forgetting my various pills when I go away - ah, the joys of ageing! I really like the green and am glad I came across it. It's very similar to what a lot of the professionals use for German uniforms and something I'd wondered about for years.

I'd love to see some new 1/16 plastic figures. Miniart had a really interesting line-up for future release, including a medieval bowman, but it looks like they've been shelved. No doubt criticism of the current range has not made them as keen as they were.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'd love to see some new 1/16 plastic figures. Miniart had a really interesting line-up for future release, including a medieval bowman, but it looks like they've been shelved. No doubt criticism of the current range has not made them as keen as they were.
I've just bought their 1/16 Samurai (because I know I will never own a Ray Lamb Taisho), but goodness knows when I will get around to painting it.
I daren't up my scale from 54mm yet in case I never go back!
I much prefer the greener Field Grey, by the way.

D

Deleted member 6559

Well Neil, sorry to say that you couldn't have bought a worse kit in my humble opinion. I've attempted it twice and didn't even get it half built both times. No doubt all due to my poor modelling skills, and there are completed examples on the web, so it can obviously be done, but never again.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well Neil, sorry to say that you couldn't have bought a worse kit in my humble opinion. I've attempted it twice and didn't even get it half built both times. No doubt all due to my poor modelling skills, and there are completed examples on the web, so it can obviously be done, but never again.
I had a nasty feeling you would say that:flushed::tears-of-joy:

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Just not an ideal way to start getting into larger scale figures - in fact more likely to make you give up before you've begun. However, you obviously enjoy the chase, so you may well be able to beat it into submission. The Miniart Greeks and Romans are good. Both series basically the same figure with a sprue change for each version.

The uniform is complete on this one:

100_4664.JPG100_4666.JPG100_4668.JPG

I started today's session by re-painting the head. The first attempt got away from me and ended up a crusty mess. I'm happier with this attempt.

I then painted the trousers as tropical issue and gave him a pair of Italian brown boots. Finally, the helmet was re-painted with desert camouflage (ex Hermann Goering Division, Tunisia).

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil - Just not an ideal way to start getting into larger scale figures - in fact more likely to make you give up before you've begun. However, you obviously enjoy the chase, so you may well be able to beat it into submission. The Miniart Greeks and Romans are good. Both series basically the same figure with a sprue change for each version.

I can't pretend I didn't feel a whiff of a challenge, there, Peter, but it will still have to wait til I have reduced my 54mm grey army

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Just meant that you're a way better modeller than I am. I have trouble sticking two pieces of plastic together.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hey Peter, I took the comment as the compliment it clearly was - but I can see how my response could be misconstrued. I just meant that my immediate response was to think about how I might try and improve it-it's a Pavlovian reaction, I think !
My wife calls it arrogance.................
and I think you are being too modest again, but we have already agreed to differ,haven't we?
all the best
Neil

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
That is looking great as always. I think everyone here are great modelers and your one of the best along with everyone else.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Neil - I have trouble sticking two pieces of plastic together.

Morning Peter

Having prepared some busts and tried belts and buckles, you really do undersell your self, they aren't that easy to do, and then to look just right

Bases too, might be a simple thing, but how many modellers never get that far, another underrated skill set.

Great choice to add the Tropical element into the figure.

Well done.

Its another grey day, but I have a week off, unfortunately the garden will be involved along with trying to get all my blogs up to date

Keep that back safe and gently manipulated, I'm off to my chiropractor next week too

Have a good day finishing off all the accessories

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Chaps.

I wasn't dissng my skills, just stating the fact that the modelling part is something I enjoy less than the painting. A day's build is great fun, but I'm always itching to get the brushes out.

Steve - Rain forecast for today (no gardening, and anyway the back pain has migrated to my neck). Hope you can get some time in on the bust; it's looking very good indeed.

Accessories today, which have to be attached in sequence - grenade, belt loop, ammo pouches.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well I reckon he looks great. The clothing is superb and as you said earlier the moulding is perfect for a single colour paint job - with your skills certainly. As for the head - it's great although by the time I post this it could be start over :smiling2:
Hope the back improves.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - One of the best figures I've worked on. The way the clothing hangs and the equipment fits just feels so right. The head's staying!

Nearly there:

100_4669.JPG100_4671.JPG100_4672.JPG100_4673.JPG

After having carefully painted the front of the smock, then spent some time on the grenade, they end up being mostly hidden by the ammo pouches. Always the way, but you never know what will be visible once the thing is put together.

I painted most of the equipment before attachment, but I realised that the best way to do the ammo pouches was in situ. As they are all exactly the same it enabled me to best judge how to vary the detail. All the varnishing has also been done.

Just the hands and gun to do now. I won't mount this one yet as I have another Luftwaffe figure to do which might make up a vignette.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wowcher Peter.
Really a corker my friend.Real eye candy for us figure buffs.Choices of colours are spot on.Glad you enjoyed doing Mr.Para.
Richard.