More Tamiya Therapy: Three 1/16 Figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6670.JPG100_6672.JPG100_6671.JPG

After realising that the Miniart Roman was never going to be a front of cabinet piece, I've decided to work on some Tamiya figures instead. These three arrived this morning courtesy of John, and I thought I'd build them on one thread, partially to stop clogging up the lists, but also in order to offer some working comparisons. I've made all of these a number of times before, but it's always good to see if one can improve on one's past efforts.

I'm going to start with the great-coated machine-gunner. Here are the sprues:

100_6673.JPG100_6674.JPG

These include an MP40 with ammo pouches as an alternative to the MG42.

This was an absolute joy to put together. Everything fitted extremely well:

100_6677.JPG

Only a very little filler was needed on a couple of the joins, and cleaning up the mould lines was achieved without too much effort. The detail on the figure and equipment is superb, with the MG42 far surpassing Dragon's offering at this scale.

This is more like it!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First in for once :thumb2:.
Nice idea Peter.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
you've really got the production line rolling! - that MiniArt Roman was a bit too much? - I'm thinking of starting the Athenian Hoplite, I'm going to desprue the parts, and see what the fit is like................
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Welcome, welcome.

Jim - Take a seat. My wife's away for the weekend so I can indulge in guilt-free modelling time.

Dave - A bit of quality control with the Roman - it was never going to be very good. The Miniart Greeks are OK, but they do require a bit of sanding and filling to get them into a paintable condition. - I ran a thread on one that is somewhere in the pre WW1 figures under construction section:

100_4901.JPG

There is no assembly guide, but they have to be built from the legs up - the tunic skirt, leather apron, then the cuirass stack on top of each other. Also, tassels for the back of the shield are provided, but you'll need to make your own cords:

100_4903.JPG

Why not give it a go?

Give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
this may be a stupid question, but doesn't he have his sword on the wrong side? He's right handed, holding his spear, to draw his sword he would have to perform contortions! I reckon the cords on the back of the shield are to hold the shield. He passes his arm through the loop, then grasps the cord.....................
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Dave. If he turns his wrist with the thumb pointing down, it's do-able (that's what the Roman's did - they also wore their swords on the right):

unnamed.jpg

The shield was held by passing the forearm through the loop in the centre and grasping the loop at the edge with the hand. The circle of cords would be pulled into a loop for carrying the shield on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
A real production-line Peter!
Have fun :thumb2:
Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

Steven - You bet!

So after that short diversion into ancient armour, I decided to start by painting the greatcoat:

100_6678.JPG100_6680.JPG

I decided to use Vallejo German Camo Extra Dark Green as the base colour, as it gives a slightly warmer hue than field grey. It was considerably lightened with off white. The torso and arms took as long as usual to paint, but the skirts of the coat went on pretty quickly, as I worked very wet, and with a large, flat brush in order to blend the tones.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry for my abscence,No doubt i will be put on a fizzer by Captain John Race.Been busy with stone commisions.Done 10 this week for paying punters.Still doing great things Mr.D mon ami.
Rich.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work on the great coat and webbing.

Its such a big area and when its done well it looks so real, and usually just gets passed over for the MG 42/head/equipment.

The better it is the easier it is to overlook as it creates the canvas for everything else.

Another frosty morning here, everything is white!

We have had 3 Corona virus cases too, but all from travelling back to the UK, not a ""home grown"" one yet in West Yorkshire!

It will only be a matter of time!

I am stopping inside as much as possible to avoid any possible contact with anyone!

Have a good day painting

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - It's very hard to make the coat look interesting, and I've gone a bit OTT of the sleeve, which I will tone down.

The Coronavirus thing is getting scary. I don't think there have been any cases here yet, but like you, and as a dibetic and with hypertension, I'm going to avoid going into town - my wife, as a doctor, laughs off my fears!

I think, after sorting out that sleeve, I'll start on the equipment next.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see this trio on the bench. Will you be putting any of them together on one base??

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - I don't think any of them really go together - the officer is a bit under-dressed to join the machine gunner in a winter scene.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow that's quite something Peter,:thumb2: and good afternoon.

This virus is going to put paid to a lot of events before the year is out. Like you anyone with your diabetes or any one a chest problem like me is going to have to be careful.:sick: I can't see people returning from an infected country self isolating them selves either , some people just won't be told. They should just not be aloud back in, end of.
Hearing a man say the government had duty of care ! what a joke, did they force him to go where he was:angry:. Rant over. !

Have a good afternoon:smiling2:

First Name
Andrew
Watching with great interest as usual, Peter.
Any chance of moving the Wrussian's right arm up and having him a prisoner? You could put these three on one base or just the officer and Wrussian together. You've probably got a spare hand in your spares? If you cut through the upper arm you could twist it round? The two arms don't have to be level, just pointing up. If it doesn't look right, just stick it back and have him as a stand alone figure. Don't let it give you a headache though! Just thinking.
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - My in-laws insist on going to Tenerife for their dose of winter sun. They'll either get a dose of Coronovirus or be detained in quarantine for ever. Twits.

Andy - A good idea. I could have the Wussian surrendering to the officer. I'll see if it's feasible.