Normandy Bocage diorama

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It is very important to decompress once in a while Al.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well getting some bench time in for the first time in a couple of months. Since my last post (actually doing something on the dio), i've become a farm manager. Lots of work involved and obviously more responsibilities. Also had a few issues with my depression and anxiety which limits my ability to sit still at the bench and keep focus/attention.

Anyway........

I thought that painting a figure would be a little taxing for today so i made a start on finishing the fencing i had planned for the gate, Yet again i've just dried out a twig and started to sand it down for a post. I'm not paying for something that nature (and storms) can provide for free.

IMG_2541.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Congratulations on the promotion Alan. I’m sure it’s well deserved. As to the fence, top stuff. That’s real modelling right there…..making something out of raw materials rather than taking it out of a box.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That's looking really good Alan!!! Nothing better than real wood, is there....Congrats on the new job too!!! I guess it does tend to take away some time at the bench though. Also good to hear you're doing better health wise Sir....Take care and drive on with this great work........

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alan.
Congrats on the promotion that should keep you busy. The base is looking great and your right you can't beat nature's offerings.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers for the support guys :smiling3:

Added the positions for three more small trees. I'm trying to make the hedge line seem quite crowded. Which it was in real life. Need to paint them now and then add the foliage. But i need to buy it yet. I ordered the fine leaves instead of the coarse... doh!

IMG_2543.JPGIMG_2544.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Back in from work today and still had a little mojo left so decided to start adding some graining texture to the post and panels.

IMG_2545.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Spending the morning cleaning up the branches ready for the seafoam (when it arrives) and painting. slow process but i have Wardruna, Eivor and Heilung playing away in the background. Nice and chilled

View attachment 440077

What a wonderful voice Maria Franz has!

PS Your dio is looking pretty wonderful too!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Dave. I'm trying to use as much natural materials as i can. That helps keep the cost down

And yes Maria Franz is a very talented singer

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Better and better with every update Alan. This is going to be the dogs danglies when finished :smiling3: .
John.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers John

Was rummaging around one of the draws on my model desk today. Amazing the stuff that was in there that i had forgotten about. In the back were a couple of Humbrol Acrylic paints that i fist bought when i came back to the hobby. So at least 15 years old. I remember that they are totally rubbish (imho) for painting with. They were nearly dried out but still had a little give to them. So i added some tap water and after a bit of stirring they came back to something i could sort of use. Still no good for actual plastics but for staining wood and making it look a little old, they will do just the job. Saves me throwing them out.

IMG_2547.JPGIMG_2548.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Congratulations on your promotion. Dio is looking better and better with each update. Great idea to use natural materials - free and super realistic.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very good Alan, and congratulations on the promotion.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

Firstly congrats on the job, is that a new one/promotion.

Secondly, loving the updates that fence and gate is coming on very very nicely.

And of course very sorry to hear you've been going though the mill with your mental health issues.

ATB.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Andrew.

Job is same company but new farm. Same sort of size as the one i was on before but obviously now more responsibility.

Mental health is ok today. Hence why i've got some work done on the dio. I'm refusing to go to the doctors as i know they'll issue pills and i really don't like taking meds! Taking it one day at a time and trying to use my coping strategies.